First Editorial Style Shoot...Feedback Please! :)

Edit My Images
No
Ok so I'm building up my portfolio by doing a few freebies, helping models and MUAS build up theirs also. So despite the pouring rain we did it in our local park, which I think made a really great location in the end, but I'd like some tips or critiques to what you think of the photo's I've edited so far (please be nice! my first editorial shoot and first time asking for feedback on here:giggle:)! The model and the MUA seem like them and have both arranged to do shoots with me again...here goes...:ty:

sz7r4i.jpg

5v7nv9.jpg

99qr88.jpg

1112ghs.jpg

Hi Bella, a very pretty model and I do like what you are trying to achieve but I think (and this is just my personal opinion) that the leaves in the 1st and 3rd images spoil it a little - I think I know what you were trying to get at with those type of shots, and the 1st seems to work better than the 3rd where the leaf has got more in front of her eye than the 1st, but I think if the leaves were more to "frame" her face it would have worked better, but Im not a model photographer, 2nd and 4th images are lovely. I like the processing too. Hope thats useful for you :)

and well done for not getting soaked, doesn't look like a rainy day there at all, :)

Last edited:
Hi Bella, a very pretty model and I do like what you are trying to achieve but I think (and this is just my personal opinion) that the leaves in the 1st and 3rd images spoil it a little - I think I know what you were trying to get at with those type of shots, and the 1st seems to work better than the 3rd where the leaf has got more in front of her eye than the 1st, but I think if the leaves were more to "frame" her face it would have worked better, but Im not a model photographer, 2nd and 4th images are lovely. I like the processing too. Hope thats useful for you :)

and well done for not getting soaked, doesn't look like a rainy day there at all, :)

Thanks Carlh, I know what you mean about the leaves, I wanted quite a boho (not too hippy) chic festival style shoot? does that make sense? I had the image in my head but didn't know what genre to put it in too! I had a few shots where her face was framed, but not happy with the editing yet so still working on that, but I was unsure whether, like you said, the leaves spoil it, or they work as they are out of focus, I wanted to incorporate lots of out of focus leaves/trees/greenery in the foreground, but wondering if they are too much. Thanks for your feedback :)

Thanks Carlh, I know what you mean about the leaves, I wanted quite a boho (not too hippy) chic festival style shoot? does that make sense? I had the image in my head but didn't know what genre to put it in too! I had a few shots where her face was framed, but not happy with the editing yet so still working on that, but I was unsure whether, like you said, the leaves spoil it, or they work as they are out of focus, I wanted to incorporate lots of out of focus leaves/trees/greenery in the foreground, but wondering if they are too much. Thanks for your feedback :)
you're very welcome and I look forward to seeing more photos from you :)

?what is a MUA - ?model under apprenticeship/approval or what ?

Ahhh - ok - thanks

I'd echo what Carl says, the leaves in front of the eyes are very distracting, especially in 3 (it's all I can see - the eye is just drawn to it and stays there). 2 and 4 are rather good though - nicely lit and I love the tone.

Back