First ever attempt with food

Name
Craig
Edit My Images
No
This is a food image take today of a loaf of bread i made by hand
and a nice bottle of Rioja, I missed the self reflection on the bottle
but some help and CC would be much appreciated.
View attachment 19702

I suspect this is just room lighting?

That's never going to look very nice. Product photography really needs some careful lighting management, and if you have no lighting gear, or a studio to hand, this is always going to be a challenge.

The lighting is flat, and far too warm, and obviously the bottle will just reflect everything in the room.

This kind of scene needs careful use of reflected lighting from flats and reflectors, and larger area lights so you can control the reflection in the shiny surfaces, and also, so you can control direction and hardness of light.

You'll get many people suggesting some kind of light tent... that's NOT the solution.

There is no one way to light products like this, as I've no idea what your intended image was supposed to look like, but to give an example of how a professional would light glass products, this may give you an idea of how much lighting management goes on.

I'm not saying that's the definitive way of doing things.... merely to give you an idea of the how much of the work is LIGHTING... not the camera.

Thanks for the reply. I was simply just attempting a rustic kitchen look quick set up, slave flash with no softbox set up.

I am currently in the process of setting up my studio setting.

Thanks for the reply all is taken onboard and i will continue to improve

food is about lighting, composition and white balance - then about the food.
The idea is a simple one, and simple is usually harder to pull off as there is less room for error.
the shot feels, dark, gloomy, not appetising.
pick one knife or another, pour a glass of wine, spread the butter, set the mood.

I am not professing to being a great food photographer by any means - but here is a link to my shots I did when I was playing and learning to photograph food. All self taught, so bound to be errors!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dade_f/sets/72157620592310181/

Back