First Ever Football Game/ Another Game Sat crit welcome

Name
James (Retired)
Edit My Images
No
After taking a lot of advice from Kipax the last time i was going to do some football shots (but i never got there),i finally got to a juniors game today.
It was pouring for about 15 mins then it cleared up,a bit of sun & cloud followed,anyway here are some shots of my first game ever attended.:)

Muirkirk V Kello Rovers by James Bingham@Photography, on Flickr

Hi James. They seem well exposed and in focus, so that's an achievement. I think the action is something to work on. in #1 there is no connection between the two players. #2 is the backs of most players. #3 works as the single player, crop the rest out. #4 and #5 are 'nothing' shots. #6 was probably a bit 'late'. #7 is mostly backs.

Keep at it. Looks like the sort of shots I took when I first started, and I 'hope' I've improved over time. One thing I learned is you have to anticipate what will happen (a crystal ball helps) so you can focus and press the shutter 'before' the peak time. #6 is a good example. If it was easy, there'd be a lot more good sports photographers.

Hi James. They seem well exposed and in focus, so that's an achievement. I think the action is something to work on. in #1 there is no connection between the two players. #2 is the backs of most players. #3 works as the single player, crop the rest out. #4 and #5 are 'nothing' shots. #6 was probably a bit 'late'. #7 is mostly backs.

Keep at it. Looks like the sort of shots I took when I first started, and I 'hope' I've improved over time. One thing I learned is you have to anticipate what will happen (a crystal ball helps) so you can focus and press the shutter 'before' the peak time. #6 is a good example. If it was easy, there'd be a lot more good sports photographers.
Thanks for taking the time to look & comment on them,i think you are right there is a lot to work on,but it was something i just wanted to have a go at.

Last edited:
top one doesn't show. Second one, what IS their goalie doing? Having a tea-break? My take on these is if you were positioned somewhere around the 18yd line you'd potentially foreshorten the action and include a tighter shot. Too much empty space. If you crop tighter you lose any context. Keep at it, steep learning curve ahead :)

Cheers Carol,the goalie is rubbish,it is a steep learning curve but i am just trying it out to see if i like doing this,so far i have enjoyed it.:)

Ha - tell me about it. When I first started I had no idea where the ball would go next and spent most of the time chasing the action. Info on this forum can seriously shorten the journey!

Yep it is a hard sport to follow,that,s what i like about motorsport,it,s easier:D but i enjoy having a play at it when i get the time.:)

It's all about positioning. I never seem to be in the right place at the right time. You'll get better and better and better. Looking back at your images in a year's time will show the journey you have taken.
My running and biking photos were rubbish to start with, now they are only SLIGHTLY rubbish!

Well as i say it is only something i wanted to try,don,t know if i will do it that often,they are just our local junior team.:)

Go for it, I've learned more by taking LOADS of images than anything else. I'm kinaesthetic, and have problems with reading and listening. It's the only way thing stay in my head.

Will see how it goes.:)

Hi James, I like you am learning sports photography and note you nice comments :) on my thread, in the last two photos it would like to of seen the guy in the red shirts whole head & the guy with the ball left foot which would of also given you more of the ball, may be you needed to zoom out more and crop later in PP. The last photo I would say is to many bums & not enough face's, I'm learning not to do that as well :)

Cheers for that,i know what you mean,but i tend to just stay at the one end of the pitch,i don,t chase the ball.
If i get the shot then that,s fine,but it,s only a pastime for me.:)

Cheers for that,i know what you mean,but i tend to just stay at the one end of the pitch,i don,t chase the ball.
If i get the shot then that,s fine,but it,s only a pastime for me.:)

Same for me :) I take a little folding step stall to sit on as well.

The guy in blue with the bald head (image #1) needs to eat less pies OR not swallow a ball whole.
Went to a x-country event on Sunday with the idea of shooting the main race in RAW and then converting into fantastic contrasty black & white.
Nope, deer broke through a fence and prevented the race from taking place. Ah well.

View attachment 23811

View attachment 23810

Back