First Ever Kingfisher!

Name
Alex
Edit My Images
No
Hello All !

This is a very exciting moment for me, as i've found a pair of Kingfishers who have successfully mated and fish passed.. at my local park!
Not just 10 minutes down the road! :D

Today i visited the park at opening time, and manage to grab a few shots.. but he's very shy and weary of others around him.. so he doesn't hang around long!

This is one of the bests shots of the bunch, as i can only use MF.. and my focus was just a bit out on the others! but will be back tomorrow to try catch him again..

His favirote fishing perch, being this post. I'm tempted to tie a stick to the end.. for more natural looking photo's! Whats your comments and views?

Thanks!
Alex

kingfisher5.jpg

Panasonic GH1 - SIGMA 50-500

Well done Alex.(y)

Thats the first hurdle overcome. I would leave the perch alone if its her favorite spot. Try putting in another perch in a more private spot if possible, somewhere you could use a hide.

Drop me a PM if you need any more tips I am only up the road.

Martin

Well done Alex.(y)

Thats the first hurdle overcome. I would leave the perch alone if its her favorite spot. Try putting in another perch in a more private spot if possible, somewhere you could use a hide.

Drop me a PM if you need any more tips I am only up the road.

Martin

Appreciate the tip Marty,

It's great and i really look forward to getting some better shots.

These Kingfishers are located in a Public park, so it's very hard to get permissions, let alone talk to anyone about setting up a hide in a position.
and i'm already aware of Licenses that i will need if i am working within a certain distance from a pair of kingfishers who are nesting and bringing up young.

It's very hard to actually photograph them, as a lot of the time, he or she are on the Islands located in the middle of the lake in the park.. perched and nesting somewhere.

This is the only 'post' perch i know of where the kingfisher is known to fish a lot... and thats located in a public seating area where it wouldn't be possible

I Would really love to document these local Kingfisher of mine,
but it's just such hard areas to be photographed in!

You could stick a branch into the mud - so long as it overhangs water- they may well use it to fish from

Hide not really needed- dark clothing,( maybe even a camo veil as used in shooting) sit very still- tripod with camera pointed and focused on perch a remote release could be useful too

I watch Kingfishers all the time ( Game Keeper) only just bought a long enough lens to caputure these truly lovely birds

It will come in time, keep at it

Les :D

Back