First Gig Shoot

Name
Danny
Edit My Images
No
Tried my hand at shooting a gig last night for the guys from Redwings (very talented bunch) - much harder than I'd anticipated.

I went equipped with a 5D2 and 5D with an 85mm 1.8 and 50mm 1.4

The venue was tiny and pitch black. No flash, just cranked up the ISO and tried to retain a descent shutter speed throughout. Some higher set lighting would have helped as all the light was coming from floor lights but tried to make the most of it.

As usual all crit is more than welcome :)

RW Gig-28 by Danny Birrell, on Flickr

RW Gig-19 by Danny Birrell, on Flickr

RW Gig-20 by Danny Birrell, on Flickr

RW Gig-14 by Danny Birrell, on Flickr

RW Gig-5 by Danny Birrell, on Flickr

RW Gig-1 by Danny Birrell, on Flickr

RW Gig-26 by Danny Birrell, on Flickr

RW Gig-22 by Danny Birrell, on Flickr

Photographing bands isn't easy. You can't use flash and the lighting varies moment by moment.

I think they're good photos. Which band was it? I live in Sunderland so I may well have heard of them.

Photographing bands isn't easy. You can't use flash and the lighting varies moment by moment.

I think they're good photos. Which band was it? I live in Sunderland so I may well have heard of them.

Cheers Ged, it was challenge. They had 3, maybe 4, coloured lights on the floor pointing directly at their faces.....hence the prominence of B&W shots.

They're called Redwings, all local lads, they play regularly at the Smugglers on the sea front. Check them out if you can!

I'll second that, I liked them too! TBH I think B and W in gig settings can work real well.

Last edited:
Hi Danny. Good shots as always. Really like the mono's. The colours are a bit garish for me. Could you not organise something with them so you can use flash?

Cheers David.

To be honest I could have used flash here but I got it into my head that I was going to try and avoid it so left them at home. Wish I 'd brought them and used them triggered off camera to get some starbursts behind the band.....maybe next time.

really like these
isnt there a 4 string g*****ist in the band worth a bit more coverage?...:D

tell those chaps its thumbs on the neck please...and tighten the straps a bit
:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Really liking these, I know it is tough, I done my 1st one over a year ago and struggled, didn't have full frame at the time though, would like to have another go.

That glass in #14 should have beer in it.

;)

Some great shots on there - I agree with a statement above that B&W really works well with gig photos.

Back