FIRST GIG - THE STANDINS

Edit My Images
Yes
I photographed by first music gig last night. It was great, let me know what you think of the photos.. and how I could improve for next time if you wouldnt mind.. Cheers, Nath.

DSC_0018border.jpg

DSC_0029border.jpg

DSC_0040border.jpg

DSC_0064border.jpg

DSC_0092border.jpg

DSC_0108border.jpg

DSC_0122border.jpg

DSC_0129border.jpg

DSC_0135border.jpg

DSC_0156border.jpg

I like them Nath, both the B&W & the Colour - 9, 10 & 11 are really good - the singer reminds me of Joe Walsh! Great stuff for a first gig! Can't offer much advice as I've not tried gig work before! Be interested in any responses from those more experienced!

Hi Nath, a nice set of shots.

1 & 6 are my favourites, and would love to see the colour brought back on the union jack guitar, which appeared green on one of the colour shots but changed to red would really stand out agains the b&w.

Just a thought.

I look forward to seeing them when you do (y)

Hi, pretty good for a first time I think. I have shot over 300 gigs and always use second curtain sync on my flash wherever possible. I usually hand hold at about 1/10th second at about f8. This way you get movement, atmosphere, DOF etc.

Hey Darren, cheers. Don't mean to sound stupid but whats second curtain sync? I haven't dealt with flash much before. I shot all of these at 1/100 or 1/80 with my Sigma 28-200mm f/5.6.

depending on the gig then you probably wont be able to use flash anyway.

i tend to aim in the region of 1/50-1/200 depending on which lens im using, because i simply cant hand hold anything slower shutterwise. when i do use flash then it tend to be simply as a small fill in to get some light on the face, at most of the gigs i do the background is so cluttered its best to just loose it into the dark or through DOF.

i use primes for gigs usually although ive recently started using an 18-50@f2.8 to get some wider full stage shots.

the thing with gigs is that they can be so varied visually due to lights, positions etc and settings that work at one gig might not work at another gig in the same venue the next week, so its best to just keep shooting and work out what works for you. that way you'll also end up with a unique style to your images. one thing i did notice that after spending a year or so photographing with really poor lighting that when i eventaully got some bigger gigs at top end venues i could cope alot better with the light that was available than when someone who photographs at big venues trys to shoot under poor lighting :)

aint mic stands just so annoying! they always get in the way!

one of my fav pictures ive taken at gig :)

RBF01.jpg

So then how do you get photos of the drummer, or do you just forget about him? :LOL:

Very nice photos on your site btw.

Back