First go at smoke - with glass and things NEW PICTURE ADDED

Name
Christine
Edit My Images
Yes
After seeing some of the lovely images that other people produce using smoke thought I would have a go, still going though them but thought I would put this one up to start with to get some pointers from those who have gone before :)

IMG_2225-Edit.jpg

No. 2 - Colour and saturation adjusted in LR, frame added in PS

IMG_2267.jpg

Last edited:
1,2 are brilliant with 2 being the best!! Really love the colours...guess you've used the technique you described on my post for colouring...

would love to know how 1 was achieved as its very very creative..

3 - i'll have to have a look on a bigger screen. Not sure about it.

4 - it could be my phone again so not sure what the yellow patch on left top corner is...seems like a patch and a streak of light. But still love the colours and pattern...did you use any special technique to get a curling smoke?

Thanks.

Thank you,
1. Took a lot of attempts found it worked best if I held the glass on its side with the incense stick in it then put the glass flat, drop the incense and pick up camera - a lot of the smoke disappears while doing this

2. No, I just used Lightroom's white balance and tint sliders, but have one I did not post that I used the method I mentioned on your thread

3. was difficult - if anyone finds an easy way to get smoke in a bottle that will then come out please let me know :)

4. Yes agree, needs cleaning up on the left side/top corner (now done)

Last edited:
Kerioak said:
Thank you,
1. Took a lot of attempts found it worked best if I held the glass on its side with the incense stick in it then put the glass flat, drop the incense and pick up camera - a lot of the smoke disappears while doing this

2. No, I just used Lightroom's white balance and tint sliders, but have one I did not post that I used the method I mentioned on your thread

3. was difficult - if anyone finds an easy way to get smoke in a bottle that will then come out please let me know :)

4. Yes agree, needs cleaning up on the left side/top corner (now done)

Thanks for sharing info.

These are nice - I like them.

2 and 4 take it for me, although I personally don't like the joss stick in the bottom right. I really like the idea of #1, but I think that you need to work on getting the glass captured well, then that will be a real belter.

Not sure how best it would be to light the glass, but wonder if you could get it just rim lit and then catch the smoke as well. I think that would be very cool.

No, no problem and I have included two more versions, neither completely black inside but nearly. I prefer the original as it links the glass and the smoke better. The glass will not be totally in focus as I was aiming more for the smoke. I would have had to use a tripod to get them both but as I had to keep picking up the glass that did not work very well

V2.
IMG_2244-3.jpg
V.3
IMG_2244-4.jpg

Hi Christine,

I have done the traditional smoke shots, but love your creativity, very inspirational many thanks.

Best regards

Chris

Mmm, I'm not sure which ones I prefer if I'm honest - Thanks for posting up some additional images (y)

Thanks Sara - no point in asking for critique if you are not going to try out what people take the time to suggest

I have done the traditional smoke shots, but love your creativity, very inspirational many thanks.

Thanks Chris, I normally seem to go off at a tangent when I start something

Back