Beginner First go at smoke

Name
Lee
Edit My Images
No
I recently got a flash gun and remote trigger and wanted to try my hand at smoke photography. I took around 90 shots whilst experimenting with flash position and snoot length. I final got some good patterns. I have no idea how to get the multi coloured images that I have seen on here so just went for a simple mirror, false colour and a bit of sharpening (I'm new to using GIMP too).

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts please. Can the multi coloured images be created in GIMP or does it need Photoshop or similar?

Thanks,
Lee

Smoke in green
by MrLeebert, on Flickr

i did the same today and tried smoke for the first time, i switched the white balance to tungsten which turned the smoke blue and also putting a gel cover over the speed light gave me green. The mirror effect looks good....

what did you use to create your smoke ?

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply.
I used an incense stick to generate the smoke.
I don't have any gels to change the colour so changed the colour temperature in iPhoto that came with the mac.

Really well done for a first attempt.
If you can get your paws on PS Elements, I've found a few ways of adding some interesting colours into the images which make them a bit different. (Basically fiddling with the Shadows, Midtones and Highlights by applying different colour casts to each)

For a first attempt that is pretty damn cool... i shall look forward to seeing some more..

From a quick google you should be able to multi colour in GIMP, it's done with the graduate tool selecting the "color" mode and layers.

Just have a play and see what you can create :)

Good first try btw

OK just download gimp to try.

Open your base smoke image - Create new layer (click on layer) - Add graduate to new layer - change blend mode to "color" = Multicolour smoke art :)

Thank you very much for your kind comments.
I already had a copy of GIMP but not really used it much because I didn't know how to. I just had a go at graduate colour blend as you described vdubster and came up with this.

Olympic torch in colour.
by MrLeebert, on Flickr

I'm really pleased with this one. Looks like the incense sticks are coming out more often for now on - Thanks :)

Cheers,
Lee

Back