first go at Tilt–shift

Very clever, interesting shot. Not sure how you did the tilt shift, but i'm enjoying the result.

Thanks for posting.

I love tilt and shift stuff and I think you are off to a flyer... Not sure it needed the colour splash though. Can you post one without it?

Excellent shot though.

thanks guys tintin i haven't sorry i just saved it one with the tilt and one without but both with the color spash

cheers Matty i no what your saying about the color its a love hate thing with me at first i thought it would make a nice canvas for the living room but i had a play round with it and done the tilt stuff later and thought it was OK thanks for your comment

I'm not of the "I hate selective colour" brigade but I'd love to see the full colour version of it if you have it?
One point of that effect is to make the subject look 'toy-like' which you've done brilliantly, in fact, I'd say you've absolutely nailed it! Well done!! (y)

Excellent now in mono please. :D

I personally prefer this to colour splash one though. Im not against colour splash fyi.

I'm saving hard for a tilt & shift. If I can produce these kind of images I'll be quite happy :)

That's quite an effective shot - always going to be a bit Marmite with selective colour. The danger with a scene like that is that there are so many clues that it's done in processing rather than with a T/S lens.

Speaking as a fan of tilt 'n' shift I am inclined to think that the second version (the full colour) one works better as you have chosen well as your choice of subject so it makes it look railway-model like (the reason why I like T & S).
I aslo think there is nothing wrong with a bit of colour selection, but I think it is something that is best done on it's own rather than as a two-fold feature (T & S AND colour popping, like you have done there).

thanks for your comments guy

Speaking as a fan of tilt 'n' shift I am inclined to think that the second version (the full colour) one works better as you have chosen well as your choice of subject so it makes it look railway-model like (the reason why I like T & S).
I aslo think there is nothing wrong with a bit of colour selection, but I think it is something that is best done on it's own rather than as a two-fold feature (T & S AND colour popping, like you have done there).

i no what you mean ian

To do this really effectively, you need to make sure objects that are the same distance from the camera are similarly blurred.
It looks like you've just applied two diagonal stripes of blur to the image without considering the relative distances of the objects.
For example, there are distant buildings that have a "focus gradient" (for want of a better term) in the vertical plane, which makes it look like a crude fake.

It's a fun technique to play with and the optical illusion more or less works here but if you really want to nail it, you need to be more careful.

Last edited:
To do this really effectively, you need to make sure objects that are the same distance from the camera are similarly blurred.
It looks like you've just applied two diagonal stripes of blur to the image without considering the relative distances of the objects.
For example, there are distant buildings that have a "focus gradient" (for want of a better term) in the vertical plane, which makes it look like a crude fake.

It's a fun technique to play with and the optical illusion more or less works here but if you really want to nail it, you need to be more careful.
Thanks for that next time I have a go at this I'll take your comments and tips on board

Back