First orbs! Critique please until you are blue in the face!

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
Please?

Wanted to have a go at this light painting / orbs / v24 lensers etc for ages and have taken the plunge to give it some serious practice / thought and went out for only an hour tonight and came up with these 4 shots.

So, where do I need to improve on these would people say???

15032914278_6310af05b9_o.jpg

15196471816_f526410f17_o.jpg

15196471376_e0e692ce54_o.jpg

15219500735_43580c0200_o.jpg

Well, I'm no expert but they look good to me. For me, the light trails in the background of the first one are slightly distracting and the background of number 4 isn't to my taste. However the other two are really nice - I think number 3 is the pick of the bunch.

Thanks guys :) Yeah I agree that the white light trail going through the orb on the first one is annoying, my eye keeps picking that up too.

I need more practice I think to get the orbs a bit better and agree that 4's not the best but was a deliberate "product placement" shot just for posting locally on facebook etc

Indeed, we all gotta start somewhere and for trail practice shots, you've certainly got the right idea.

Incidentally, and it might just be me, but it does look like you have captured the Aureole Borealis in the first shot (or it might just be twilight with the colour balance giving it a green hue).

Last edited:
I've just googled re that friday night and the aurora etc, the shot was taken facing west though with the wide field of view there is a good section of the north west sky there admittedly, and having rechecked the original raw and the changes I made i never actually changed the colour balance specifically, the post processing was essentially upping the exposure a bit to get some sky detail as well as it being a layered shot, ie the trail on the slip road on the left third is a different layer.

I'd love to think that colour was from the aurora but im not convinced given im fairly far south here in the Bedford / Milton Keynes area and the colours pretty uniform across the sky :-(

@Donnie

Hi Paul,

Only just spotted this and moved it into the new "night photography section" - I think you'll get the help you want in here.
Looks like a good start to me, but perhaps a little more practice on the shapes to get the spheres completely 'round'.
Afraid I can't help much on that either, but I'm sure someone will be along soon who can :)

First one is my fave. Very good effort. I personally prefer them mingled in with a natural landscape rather than artificial lighting but that's just me :)

I like the last one myself. Looks like The Terminator is about to come through to our world :eek:

I must try these again soon. I had a go about a year ago. Got an orb but is was boring with no features around it. I did get some right funny looks though from people passing by hahaha

Only done it once but it was good fun and got a couple of decent images. Leant a lot about how best to do it but as of yet I haven't had a chance to put those things into action haha

Back