First outing with the 50mm f1.8

Name
Carole
Edit My Images
Yes
As I am a spectator at gigs, not a pro, I thought the 50mm would be just right for use when I am pressed up against the barrier. On this occassion though, no security men, so I just walked into the area infront of the barrier and started shooting. Confidence is everything.........act the part and people think you are the part!! :LOL:

Love to hear your comments. I've never used a fixed focal length lens before and it was quite strange.

Andy.jpg

Johnny.jpg

Ritchie-2.jpg

Robbie2.jpg

There are more in my gallery, if you want to check them out,
Cheers,

Good stuff! Well done for having the confidence to go for it!

It helps that I know the band well...........not sure i'd have the B**** to do it otherwise! My son is pic 1.

well then, your son can point you in the direction of the promoters that puts the bands on where he plays, ask if you can photograph gigs and stuff at the venue, that was if their are any bouncers you've got the ok anyway, also means if any big touring bands play the venues you know, you can hopefully photograph them!!!!!!! thats how i did it, and ive now photogaphed bands such as biffy clyro, antiflag, idlewild, reel big fish, oceansize, embrace, the glitterati off the back of it!

they look good mate, glad you bought he nifty fifty, its great isnt it!

whats your sons band called?

You've done really well and managed to get some pretty decent shots there :clap:

Some great shots there, really like the first.

Looks like the nifty was a worthwhile purchase for you :) You've walked away with some great shots there.

I agree with whitewash, use this as a stepping stone to 'network', and get some others shots while youre there!

Like you I invested in the 1.8 and enjoying using a prime lens again - the 80mm it gives on the 350D is ideal for candids in natural lighting. Using it this evening at camera club with modelling lights to good effect.

VERY good!

run them through Noiseware, otherwise great!

I have a love hate relationship with noise reduction software. Usually you just need to reduce the noise in the plain background areas where it shows up the most with no image detail to help conceal it. No matter how carefully you use it it seems to destroy some of the detail in the main subject and produce that plasticky look.

For that reason I usually prefer to just apply NR just to the background using a selective mask.

Andy1.jpg

I'm new to digital manipulation, so I've never tried selective work, only full pic. I like what's happened in your version though, so I'll try this on some others...........i took about 300 so I've plenty to work on!

Thanks for your advice,
;)

im not keen on noise reduction and ive never used it, maybe thats cuz when ive tried ive not liked the results. or maybe that we expect a bit of noise in such photographs and it helps to add to the atmosphere

For that reason I usually prefer to just apply NR just to the background using a selective mask.

I really struggle with noise reduction software - don't know why, but I don't like the output - but this I really like. I understand how to do selective masks (thanks to you guys) but how do I then apply NR to it? - Would I do all this is CS2 or can the selection go through to a Noise program?

As to the pics, I really like them, I recently did some band pics for the first time ever with the nifty fifty and was really pleased with the results, the thing I learnt was make sure you use continuous shots, that way by taking a number of shots you might get one where the hair, or the guitar hand or the vocals head is in the right place.

TFS

Allan

I really struggle with noise reduction software - don't know why, but I don't like the output - but this I really like. I understand how to do selective masks (thanks to you guys) but how do I then apply NR to it? - Would I do all this is CS2 or can the selection go through to a Noise program?

That's a very good question Allan. I'm not sure if dedicated NR software will let you work with masks. I use PSP though and it has it's own NR software which lets you apply it just within masks.

If CS2 has any sort of NR filters I'd imagine you'd be able to use masks. although you could try the soften, blur type filters which will have a similar effect.

Ive just had a go at trying to use a mask and the Noise reduction, but it didn't work. I'm going to need some help and guidence here on how to do it.:help: Any ideas? I'm really new to CS2, so make it words of one syllable please!

I use noiseware as a CS2 plugin and it does indeed integrate with selections and masks (AFAIAA)

Back