First paid job........results!!

Slimbert - I think that the photos that you have posted so far are lovely, and if I had've been the client I'd be really happy with them. And I also think it's safe to say that I bet they don't notice any 'problems' with the other 50 - it's just your eye that sees them.

I think it's really sad to see yet another thread where someone is brave enough to say 'here's my first paid gig' and to be open and honest about what they've learnt from it, only to get shot-down by so-called "professionals". What ever happened to being supportive to newcomers to the industry? The OP was up front with his client from what I can see, an set the expectations from the outset. If the client wanted a more experienced professional, then they could've made the choice to do so, but they obviously felt comfortable with the OP so fair play.

And no, I'm not a professional - like all of us, I just love having my camera in hand. And I don't usually get involved in these debates, but felt quite riled by the replies on this. And if I had any thoughts about the future and my photography, I would think twice about saying so on here. Sad, so sad.

Slimbert - keep up the good work! You've got a lot of supporters on here.

Get over yourself AWP. Your pretentious attitude stinks and I am completely fed up with people like you coming along with such nasty comments as your opening post. And to follow it up by saying you felt is was "well meaning advice" is frankly garbage.

:clap:

To say that I feel threatened in any way by the OPs work is ridiculous. I stand by my comments. He should have known his equipments capabilities before doing this. He asked for comments and got them - but like a lot of people on here - they just don't like to hear the truth. The advice I have given is much more useful than just being told 'nice pics'.

Last edited:
The ams always stick together on here - I think it's they that feel threatened. Silly really.

Sorry mate, but you've got at least two pros arguing against you - it's mainly the pros that feel threatened. Look at all the wedding malarkys.

This is just another example.

well I've said what I want to say - I'm out.

Well, just incase anyone is interested, I went to see my client with the images on tuesday night and they were really pleased with the results.

So much infact that I have been invited to one of their family parties, (and I'm quoting here) "and don't bring your camera, you're a proper guest this time" :LOL: And the father of the birthday girl asked if it was ok to text me from time to time as he now "considers me a friend"!!

I started with the (IMO) worst photo of the bunch, and told them this, and they immediately replied "oo I like that"!! That was all I needed to hear, after that I just had a big grin on my face.......:D

I've since taken another booking (some informal portraits) and although the wedding I mentioned earlier hasn't been confirmed yet, thanks to Ryans very kind offer, I'll be saying yes if the chance comes my way!

All in all, a great experience and the whole thing was very positive for me. Can't wait for another go!!

Thanks to everyone that got behind me on this, much appreciatted!(y)

Last edited:
Read the post and you see it has nothing to do with what you are saying.
Having worked as an entertainer for many years I can tell you we get the same, someone thinks this is easy, and take a gig. When it goes wrong, it lets all entertainers down. People are only trying to help the OP and also help keep photographers standards to the best.

Can a mod please change Chaz title to "Cranky old fart" :D

Well, just incase anyone is interested, I went to see my client with the images on tuesday night and they were really pleased with the results.

So much infact that I have been invited to one of their family parties, (and I'm quoting here) "and don't bring your camera, you're a proper guest this time" :LOL: And the father of the birthday girl asked if it was ok to text me from time to time as he now "considers me a friend"!!

I started with the (IMO) worst photo of the bunch, and told them this, and they immediately replied "oo I like that"!! That was all I needed to hear, after that I just had a big grin on my face.......:D

I've since taken another booking (some informal portraits) and although the wedding I mentioned earlier hasn't been confirmed yet, thanks to Ryans very kind offer, I'll be saying yes if the chance comes my way!

All in all, a great experience and the whole thing was very positive for me. Can't wait for another go!!

Well done mate, a happy client is a happy photograhper....

If you look at the simple truth here:

1) The OP was open and honest
2) The client was happy

Isnt this all that matters in the world of photography??

Yes there were big learning curves in regards to equipment capabilities, but, everyone was happy!!!

Get over yourself AWP. Your pretentious attitude stinks and I am completely fed up with people like you coming along with such nasty comments as your opening post. And to follow it up by saying you felt is was "well meaning advice" is frankly garbage.

And Chaz - you are now at the stage where you think you can go into paid photography becasue you have a background as an entertainer!! Great. At least when you cock up you can at least make a good joke about it!!

EVERY professional photographer makes mistakes during a gig. Fortunately due to the volume of images taken the mistakes get trashed and the good ones go to the client. I think it's refreshing for someone to come along, talk about his paid job and ADMIT that mistakes were made. Wouldn't it be nice if every pro took time to "come clean" occasionally?

Damien - good on you for taking the job and delivering on what was asked for at the price which fit the budget. Say "yes" to next years wedding and I'll come and help you (free). Then with the profit you make you might be able to upgrade to a newer Sony which might have better ISO capabilities. Then you'll be doing what the rest have to do - make profit to buy new kit to help get more work to make more profit to buy more kit etc etc.

And don't let those who feel threatened beat you down.

Ryan

Well said that man! :)

From the 3 pictures on show it looks like Slimbert did a good job. In true pro style, he didn't chicken out when he realised he wasn't sure on something and persevered and got the results.

Yes, perhaps he should have known a little more about his gear beforehand, but the fact he came through and got the results has to be a big (y) to him! To be able to adjust workflow on the job is a good skill to have.

My opinion Simbert, some people on here are trolls and will never give you any positive feedback. It was your first job the client knew your experience level and they were happy to give you the work.

Its obvious you've learnt a lot from this job and will be able to use that to improve on the next job.

You made good use of the kit you have and the client is happy. Thats what's important

And Chaz - you are now at the stage where you think you can go into paid photography becasue you have a background as an entertainer!! Great. At least when you cock up you can at least make a good joke about it!!

EVERY professional photographer makes mistakes during a gig. Fortunately due to the volume of images taken the mistakes get trashed and the good ones go to the client. I think it's refreshing for someone to come along, talk about his paid job and ADMIT that mistakes were made. Wouldn't it be nice if every pro took time to "come clean" occasionally?

Damien - good on you for taking the job and delivering on what was asked for at the price which fit the budget. Say "yes" to next years wedding and I'll come and help you (free). Then with the profit you make you might be able to upgrade to a newer Sony which might have better ISO capabilities. Then you'll be doing what the rest have to do - make profit to buy new kit to help get more work to make more profit to buy more kit etc etc.

Ryan

Oh and pretty much what he said to :D :clap:

i'm really pleased for you, as at the end of the day the client got what they wanted and you got paid and earned valuable experience. Ryan's offer is one you should take up, as having shot with him for an afternoon he showed me what he could do.

if i was closer i'd also offer to help out, but Ryan would be a much better bet for you.

Well done fella. Now let's take on the world!!

And thanks to all those who backed me - I really appreciate it (being fairly new to TP and all that).

Well done fella. Now let's take on the world!!

And thanks to all those who backed me - I really appreciate it (being fairly new to TP and all that).

I believe what you were saying was spot on!

Ryan

:clap:

Not sure where all the business related comments came from to be honest- as its posted in the general photo sharing. Glad the clients were happy with them, and well done on your first paid job :)

Your clients is happy and you are happy making £100 so good for you!
You've admitted you made mistakes and you'll learn from these.
A pro isn't going to get out of bed for £100.
I very much doubt your clients previous quote for £280 was from a real pro either.
So that leaves thinking why any pro would post their negative points of view here in the first place.

Your clients is happy and you are happy making £100 so good for you!
You've admitted you made mistakes and you'll learn from these.
A pro isn't going to get out of bed for £100.
I very much doubt your clients previous quote for £280 was from a real pro either.
So that leaves thinking why any pro would post their negative points of view here in the first place.

Sorry (I might not have explained it well enough, again!), I was £280 cheaper than the next nearest quote, the next nearest quote was £380 which I think was just to do formal shots of the guests as they arrived. Couple of hours on the night and PP afterwards.

No idea who the pro(s) was but I think you're 100% correct that very few pros would have touched the job with a barge pole for £100!

Thanks again everyone for the kind comments!(y)

Sorry (I might not have explained it well enough, again!), I was £280 cheaper than the next nearest quote, the next nearest quote was £380 which I think was just to do formal shots of the guests as they arrived. Couple of hours on the night and PP afterwards.

No idea who the pro(s) was but I think you're 100% correct that very few pros would have touched the job with a barge pole for £100!

Thanks again everyone for the kind comments!(y)

This thread really, really wound me up!! Of course everyone should be allowed to start somewhere without experienced pros jumping down their throat. You may not have given exact details of your agreement and understanding with the client in your first post, but the pros on here should ask you the questions like "did the client know your limitations" before panning you! They were the ones originally jumping to the conclusions.

Good on you for giving yourself a start and gaining experience by jumping in at the deep end with a client that new what they were paying for - nothing wrong with that at all! :clap:

In my experience people all start somewhere fact si you are your best critic here ignore the muppets who say oooooh not good enough etc you did a job and got paid !! well done now as for money etc the fact the client is happy is all that matters from the set here they should be for the moeny sure they may have spent more and got better but who is to say they had more ... end of the day well doen you and nice to start matey live and learn you will find as time goes on the equipment list grows and knowledge from places such as here will expland your repetoire

as for the wedding never say never you come a long way to this point who knows ntext year you will be up for it ...

maybe try a wedding course read about one this ween in amateur photo I think it was that was well worth the moeny matey

PS these PRo's that seem to think they would not get a job for that fair enough ... good luck at least he did and now he has a client base start .... hehe

*insert key and wind*

Last edited:
Well done Slimbert, seems to be all round good job, clients were happy and you learned some valuable lessons there.
Can I ask? Out of interest, how did you present the photographs to the client? Was it a dvd/cd or prints?

Well done Slimbert, seems to be all round good job, clients were happy and you learned some valuable lessons there.
Can I ask? Out of interest, how did you present the photographs to the client? Was it a dvd/cd or prints?

Thanks!(y) Definitely learned tons, and not all of it to do with equipment!

I supplied the client with two CD's, one high res for prints and one low res for facebook, bebo etc.

Thanks again!

Wow this thread generated some heat didn't it. :eek:
Congrats on the paid work and as the client is happy everyone is happy. In my very limited experience I have found I am a lot more critical of my work than anyone else. I suspect you will be the same. Keep learning and if and when you want some business advice I'm sure that the Talk Business section will be only to happy to help;)

Mark(y)

Well done on giving it your hardest. I have the opportunity in the near future to photograph a wedding that I believe will be on a tight budget. I've shown them some of my shots and I hope to negotiate a price that will be best for both of us. I'm not a complete novice and I believe I can do them proud with the skills I've learnt from my experiences. I think birthdays are a brilliant way of making some money and I would sure as hell be throwing my camera in there to earn some pocket money.

Well done Slimbert, we all have to start somewhere:clap:, because if we dont then we never get started. How many have not posted any photos because of the posts on here????? keep up the good work and keep posting.:D:D:D

I am sorry but its not condescending at all would you employ someone who do not know there work inside out
Who fixes your car? Do you not expect that he knows what he is doing?
There are so many in all walks of life who think with a little knowledge they can do a job and this ends up going wrong think if it had been the tog at your wedding or your daughter wedding and he got it all wrong?

I've seen mechanics make very basic mistakes, recently my other half had his exhaust refitted and we were back in the garage the next week having it bolted back on as they'd done a slack job the first time. And this was a trusted mechanic of middle age. Everyone makes mistakes, how do you think we learn as human beings?

If I was to tog at an important event or wedding, I'd expect the client to be prepared to ask questions and request a portfolio, and discuss with me in detail exactly what they want. There are a million togs out there, and afew beginners don't ruin it, lack of research or honesty does though when seeking out an appropriate photographer (and that applies both to the client and tog) :)

Well done slimbert, always good to see someone taking the initiative, ok not a lot of money but i bet you enjoyed it, and we all make mistakes even the pros on here, although they won't always admit it :D, if you decide to do the wedding definitely take Ryan up on his very generous offer, as i also have been out with him a couple of times, and i can guarantee you will learn lots, he's also very talented at directing people which would be a great asset at a wedding, and of course a he's also very nice chap in general :)

The ams always stick together on here - I think it's they that feel threatened. Silly really.

i personally think its you who feels threatened, as its you who has the most to lose if you dont get these jobs. but as i said in my earlier post this job was,nt paying enough for a pro tog to be remotely interested. not having a go at you but the pro togs know their market and would hardly be affected by our young padawon:D

edit just seen slimberts real name (beware) :D

Last edited:
I started reading the first page to this and was getting rather annoyed to say the least! Couldn't be arsed to read the next 2 pages cos i knew it would just wind me up even more.

Slimbert i'm sure would rather of had some people give him a little input and some pointers. First time with some nerves etc... Explained to client his level and so on and so on.

JEEEEZ give the guy a break!!!

Back