Beginner First photos with new lens

Nice start,you have a good combination there.

Keep going out and posting Andy, that's a decent setup you've got, a couple of pointers in the right direction and you should be up and away (y)

The angle on these is a little steep, and whilst that's not uncommon if you're going out for a walk and seeing what you can find, it you want to improve the quality you might need to target individual shots.

Pigeons can be shot pretty much anywhere, but Chaffinches like to get down to the ground where they forage for food. Finding a spot (or creating one) where they can look for food and getting low down to the ground will pay big dividends.

If you can, for now, try and get the sun behind you. The best shot in your series is the second due to the nice head turn, but the light has come from your left, meaning the head turn is into the shadow. I accept that's far easier said than done, but if you'd have been 90 degrees to your left and got the same pose the shot would have been a lot nicer.

If you've got the bug now, keep posting up and it should all click quite quickly.

Mike

Last edited:
I have the same combo Andy and think its superb for little money (y)

Mike's covered things above so I'll just echo to keep at it, good practice with common stuff is to visit feeding stations at the local reserve/park. There'll be a few about local I'm sure, see which is the better time of day for the sun, morning or evening, go practice and have fun (y)

Back