First portrait trial, first studio shot… Critics and advice needed

Name
Sandrine
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,
Still new to photography, starting to know my camera a little bit more (only a little bit). I was very fortunate that my last local camera club session was a portrait practical session in a studio. I was extremely nervous, but it got me better acquainted to my gear.
Anyway, here's one of my best shots of the night. I really like it but I know it's not 100%. I want to improve it as the club is running a small portrait competition between the members and I'm not sure which areas need touching up. I think the face is out of focus and probably could do with some sharpening, but what else? The light… is it too harsh? If so, how do I tame it?
Agh… just got Lightroom and I'm not understanding it much. I'm going to have to read and look at some tutorials…
Thank you for your comments.
Sandrine

I'm adding here another couple of shots that I also like. The first one is kind of in par with the one I already posted above. But I think the focus is better.

The second one has a totally different tone to it. I love the pose as it's very geometrical. I know that again her face is a little out of focus and I will sharpen that. My first question is about the cropping. Do I leave it as it is with space to the side to give the model something to look into? Or do I crop it so that she is quite central, making the cloth around her feet quite symmetrical? My mind says to centre it, my husband says to leave her some space to the side so that the rule of third is kind of applied and so that she has 'space' to look into. Also, big snag… her shadow!!! Do I remove it? I'm keen to but hubby says he quite likes the shadow - although he is no photographer. Finally does this shot work as a portrait? Would it fit for the competition? Since it's not about the face but rather about the whole body. I can enter up to 4 photos. I want to enter 2 out of the shoot and then 2 that I'm going to try and take this weekend. I want to try the techniques I've learnt about portrait photography on my 5-year old outdoors. :)

#3 leave as it is, it's probably the best of the ones here, the shadow is nicely muted so it's hardly noticeable

#1 looks slightly out of focus and #2 is the better of the two.

Just my opinion :)

Hi. Thank you for your comments. I've sharpened the photo and I've played a little with the lights and darks in Lightroom. I think this now looks better. :)

I've made some slight adjustments to photo number one also. I think it looks much better.

I would be inclined to agree, leave the 3rd one alone. All works. As for the 1st the focus point seems to be on her hands, nor her eyes where it should be. What settings did you use?

I would be inclined to agree, leave the 3rd one alone. All works. As for the 1st the focus point seems to be on her hands, nor her eyes where it should be. What settings did you use?

I used ISO: 200, 5.6 aperture, shutter speed 1/125. White balance was on auto.

and this one? I actually really do like it. Maybe I should use this one in the club's competition instead?

Last edited:
Back