First post, first Nikon lens question

Edit My Images
No
Hi guys:wave: this is my first post as I found this site today after someone recommended it in the AV forum (well done that man(y)). So just wanted to say hello.... and ask my first question.

I recently bought a D5000 which I changed to a D90(body only) for obvious reasons. I then purchased the 12-24mm NIKKOR for work (I own a construction company so need wide angle) Interested to hear your thoughts on that. I also wanted a general purpose lens so went for the Nikon 18-200mm.............. which as I understand isn't to popular, so after reading all those negative comments and agreeing with them what should I do now? Maybe swap it for the 24-70 and a 70-200? would that make sense or do guys have any other suggestions?

Welcome and hope you like it here :)

The 12-24mm is a fantastic lens. Great image quality, good build quality and it focusses fast and accurately. It works fien with a polariser without horrific vignetting around the edges too. Good choice :)

As a general purpose lens I'd opt for something like the 24-70mm; it's fast, very, very good and will give you some more reach over the 12-24mm. I've heard they're in short supply though.

I use a 80-200mm af-d f/2.8 (about £650), which is a great lens for longer shots. The 70-200mm is a beautiful piece of kit but pricey but will complement the other lenses nicely.

I think you have the right idea if you can afford it. :)

Hi Nolbebenj, welcome to the forum. I think that the 18-200mm is a good all round, walkabout lens that has a good range but IQ is an issue. I think you need to decide what you want to photograph and then do some research on what lenses will fill your needs. Hope this helps. Rob

Thanks for the input guys, I love scenery and landscape so glad I've made the right choice with the 12-24mm. Saying that, I like shooting anything and everything which is why I originally thought the 18-200 was ideal for me. I'm going Tokyo soon so need something decent for that or maybe get a lens there? In regards to the Nikon 80-200mm are they all imports as I can only find them in the US?

In regards to the Nikon 80-200mm are they all imports as I can only find them in the US?

Believe it or not, I am sat at home right now waiting for a courier delivery of one of these!

I ordered it from Camerabox new for £720. Camerabox are based in the UK.

However, you can also pick up the lens second-hand in other places. While I was out searching for it myself, I found an example at Mifsuds and Aperture UK. There are many different models of this lens, but second-hand prices range from £320 - £700.

You can also pick it up from Onestop Digital where it is currently on sale at £678.99, but you will have to wait for delivery from HK and may incur import duties and VAT. Onestop Digital will refund any charges you incur, but it involves writing letters to their Hong Kong office and waiting for them to credit you back.

There is an excellent guide to the history of the lens over at Ken Rockwell's site, which goes some way to explaining the variation in price.

Back