First Post

Name
Stephen
Edit My Images
Yes
First post in this section,i tend to look in often and have just recently bought a Macro lens and then a flash ,then i had a go at making a diffuser.
Now really appreciate the photos i see in this section as i didnt realise how difficult Macro photography is and i need lots more practice.
Any critique or advice accepted.

DSC04944_zpsc7d679d5.jpg

DSC05017_zps6d655f7f.jpg

DSC05000_zpsf2c1eeb0.jpg

DSC04968_zps0d027e14.jpg

Welcome to the mad world of macro and the even madder people that post in this thread (me too)
2 & 3 are cool photos looks like you managed some good shots.
Maybe @Tintin124 or @TimmyG will make a comment on these few.
Well done :)

OK here goes...

• Number 1 I'm not overly keen on the composition. I think it's a lack of any visible eyes (it's amazing how much some kind of eye contact will make a difference). However, you do seem to be getting in there where the action is, which is great!
  • Number 2 is really good. Nice lighting and good composition. I would have preferred a totally natural environment, but at least the table cloth (or whatever the surface is) has great natural colours that compliment the subject.
  • Number 3 is great too. Not so good as a standalone image, but works well with the 2nd one and for ID purposes.
  • Number 4 is my favourite. Good composition, we even have an eye in there even if it is from a dead hover. It tells a story, and the background is exposed nicely (always a challenge!)
Anyway, I wouldn't be too concerned about any of that, the main point is you have the focus, detail and lighting all sorted which as a beginner is great to see! Hope you find macro photography as much fun as I do and keep doing what you are doing ;)

Welcome to the macro section!

It's the age old story.... seems the world thinks macro is easy and is as simple as buying a macro lens. Buy the stuff then realise it's hard @Carlh. :rolleyes:

Not your fault at all OP just venting...

Would you care to post a picture of your setup?

I agree with all Tim has said... #4 is the best of the bunch and welcome to this highly addictive form of photography if not the hardest form imvho.

By looks of it your already doing really well so I expect in a month you'll be aceing these types of shots. :D

Thanks very much for the kind welcome and for taking the time to offer your constructive criticism,its greatly appreciated.
I shall post a picture of my set up but it will be this evening,
Cheers

A great start.

Cheers Alf.
Took a few pics of my set up at work today(on my lunch break.....honest) as requested,I also have a set of extension tubes that were given to me ,I havent used them yet though.

DSC02350_zps97096372.jpg

DSC02345_zps80327c80.jpg

DSC02351_zps37e57779.jpg

Nice thanks for sharing think it needs to be directed down a little more as most light will over shoot subject. Angled section of pringles tube would do.

No Carl its an offcut of kitchen worktop I have at work.

Back