First Rugby Shoot Last Weekend

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

So I did my first rugby shoot for a friends local team on the weekend. Weather was superb (almost too good in fact) so shutter speeds were high. Tried using the monopod for a bit, but after only just escaping being at the bottom of a pile of players close to the sideline, I ended up hand holding for most of it.

These shots are ones I quite like All shot with the 80-200mm, between 2.8 and 4. PP just cropped as I thought and levelled, with a touch of vibrance. Could probably do with some sharpening I guess, but think they are not too bad straight out of the camera.

#1 Usually you get aggression in the face, found this interesting as to me he seems to be literally just "shrugging off" the tackle.
479870798_znvho-M.jpg

#2 Is he bound or isn't he? Me thinks not!
479870842_Avt5D-M.jpg

#3 Think this may just be a bit dark, but really like the shot. May adjust EXP a bit.
479870794_pfSur-M.jpg

#4 Got the ball, just OOF! Grrrr!
479870759_AYmED-M.jpg

#5 Nice hand off. The arm on the left is a bit annoying, may crop
479870750_MRiyL-M.jpg

#6 This is uncropped, I am gutted I didn't get more of the chap grabbing his shirt, but left it in as thought it was still not a bad capture. What you think?
479870778_qjzGp-M.jpg

C&C would be most welcome.

Thanks,

Andrew

Really good shots.
I like the ball oof in #4.
Think you have captured the essence of the game well (y)

Great shots there, well done especially for your first time. #2 I think is a maul so the player doesn't have to be bound

Last edited:
Many thanks for your comments, boys and girls. Any thoughts on the crop on the last one? I can't decide..

Back