Critique First Self Portrait

Name
Liz
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm pretty new to all this, but I just got a new camera and have been trying it out. To give myself a bit of focus, I'm aiming to do a self portrait every week, alongside whatever else I get the chance to do. This one is the first of that set. Critique welcome, but please be gentle
View attachment 19871

Not a fan of this the flare on the left is really distracting.... hardly notice your face. So not really a portrait imho.

Maybe if Flare was top left and you lit your face with something to give the flare some scope.

I think you've had a good idea, but it hasn't quite worked for the reason Bryn mentions.

Why not try it again, giving your face more prominence?

For your first shot I would go with something more subtle, the flare is too extreme I feel and your face is lost. It's an idea but try refining it perhaps.

A great attempt a creating something different there Liz, as mentioned above there are distracting elements in the shot. The point of interest, your face is overwhelmed by the flare, solution remove some of the flare and lighten your face. Hope you like, will remove if requested.(y)

I'm pretty new to all this, but I just got a new camera and have been trying it out. To give myself a bit of focus, I'm aiming to do a self portrait every week, alongside whatever else I get the chance to do. This one is the first of that set. Critique welcome, but please be gentle
View attachment 19871

where are you old chap
got to see the real you...facial and spiritual
too much razzle dazzle for me
sorry

Thank for the feedback guys - that flare is definitely incredibly distracting. Steve, your crop makes it a lot better, so thank you!

When I get the chance, I might have another try and see if I can get the same concept to work a bit better.

When I get the chance, I might have another try and see if I can get the same concept to work a bit better.

Yes, I think you should.

Back