First shots with Raynox 250

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

A bill from my solicitor meant my macro lens will have to wait a while, so I bought a Raynox 250 for the time being. I'm still getting used to it, but I'm enjoying it so far.

These are some of the better ones I've managed...

1. Hawthorn Flower (I think)
IMG_1588_ps.jpg

2. Flying thing
IMG_1595_PS.jpg

3. Blaeberries
IMG_1607.jpg

4. Water Droplets
IMG_1638.jpg

5. Bluebell
IMG_1654_PS.jpg

6. Urrmm... Red Flower. :LOL:
IMG_1661_PS.jpg

Shot with Canon 40D, 17-85 EF-S lens and the Raynox.

Excellent shots, #6 is my personal favourite due to the colours and composition, i've just bought a used Sigma 105 macro on here but im also looking at getting on of these to chuck on the front of my 17-85 when im out and about. Are you using auto or manual focus, if manual whats it like focusing?

Darren

Thanks! I'm using mainly manual focus (I've got the option set so that auto focussing does not occur when the shutter button is (half) pressed anyway).

The image seems best with focus set at infinity. I then move the camera forward and backward to get the subject in focus. Using live mode is best, I find, then I can hit the zoom button to get the image as pin-point accurate as my shaky hands will allow (all the images above are hand-held shots).

Depth of field is the big problem. You can improve it by closing down the aperture, but then you need either a slower shutter or higher ISO setting to compensate. I guess your 7d will be better for the latter than my 40d. *longs for a 5d mk3* :LOL:

Thanks for the info, im wishing i didnt sell my cheap 55-250 lens now as that had a smaller front filter thread than my Sigma 18-250 (72mm) and my Sigma 70-200 f2.8 (77mm), i believe the Raynox only goes to 67mm :(
Still it will fit my 17-85 and Sigma 105 macro (when it arrives) so may well get one as its a handy gadget for impromptu macro when out and about.
May well see if I can cobble something together to make it fit my Sigma 18-250 as thats my travel lens.

Darren

just bought another raynox, the idea being i can hang my d7000/sigma 150/1.4tc around my neck, with my d90/micro nikkor 60, and the dcr 150, or 250 in my bag for steadier extreme macro pics. i have the same tripod qr on each camera too. it beats changing lenses in the field!

These shots are not excellent as stated. None of them are in focus, with No 4 being the only one that's anywhere near. Also I'd suggest you crop out the vignetting in those that have it.

The 250 is a bloody hard piece of kit to get used to and to use properly so be patient and stick at it.

I've just not long bought the Canon MP-E 65 Macro lens and finding I'm deleting way more shots than I'm keeping but the rewards of getting it right are well woth the wait and effort.

This might sound a bit harsh but there's no point telling you they're good if they are not. It's a long hard learning curve.

There are some excellent Macro photographers on here (that I aspire to be like) and some fantastic tips and guidance too. Keep it up and enjoy(y)

I don't think they're all out of focus as such, though No2 it does look like you've just missed it on the head.
I'm wondering if the softness is a combination of high ISO (exif says 1600), relatively large aperture (f8) and the Raynox on the 17-55?
I try to keep sharpness by keeping to a low ISO (usually below or at 200) and f11-f16.
To do this, I have to use flash though, so the trade-off is lighting.

Last edited:
any movement at all will affect sharpness with a narrow dof. usually the op breathing, moving the camera downwards while pressing the shutter, or most annoyingly to me, breezy conditions. a fast shutter speed is essential. if your camera has an auto iso facility you can set the minimum speed and maximum iso. very, very useful!

These shots are not excellent as stated. None of them are in focus, with No 4 being the only one that's anywhere near. Also I'd suggest you crop out the vignetting in those that have it.

The 250 is a bloody hard piece of kit to get used to and to use properly so be patient and stick at it.

I've just not long bought the Canon MP-E 65 Macro lens and finding I'm deleting way more shots than I'm keeping but the rewards of getting it right are well woth the wait and effort.

This might sound a bit harsh but there's no point telling you they're good if they are not. It's a long hard learning curve.

There are some excellent Macro photographers on here (that I aspire to be like) and some fantastic tips and guidance too. Keep it up and enjoy(y)

Got to agree.

Take a look at this thread I started a while back. Some good shots a s well as poor, but interesting though.

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=232617

Back