First Spyder Elite calibration

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
Just borrowed a Spyder Elite calibration kit of f a friend and used it to calibrate my screen tonight.

Have a look at the two images below please - the first shows the levels histogram, the second the actual photo of a running crab spider from a few nights back.

How does it all look on your screens please?

histogram1.jpg

Here is the actual inmage - showing the photo with my Photoshop CC detail:

1080runningspider01.jpg

Paul.

Last edited:
Looks a very slight touch cool to me, but then my screen isn't calibrated. I really should try and get hold of one of these things.

Looks a very slight touch cool to me, but then my screen isn't calibrated. I really should try and get hold of one of these things.

Now you see, mine to me, I thought looks a touch warm...

Calibrated monitors across the net probably all look different perhaps, maybe because of ambient light. Cheers Timmy.

By the way - do you like the piccy? ;)

Paul.

Both images look very similar (colour tone wise), i use a Spyder Pro4 to calibrate my screens.

Now you see, mine to me, I thought looks a touch warm...

Calibrated monitors across the net probably all look different perhaps, maybe because of ambient light. Cheers Timmy.

By the way - do you like the piccy? ;)

Paul.
I do indeed. i thought that went without saying ;)

I do indeed. i thought that went without saying ;)

Smooth talker (y)

Both images look very similar (colour tone wise), i use a Spyder Pro4 to calibrate my screens.

But the temperature and tonal range (a lot of browns I know, but browns were one of the worst colours on my screen before I ran Spyder) look OK to you Sharky?

Paul.

Finally now go back to your pink shot! And sort out the colour lol

Results look good to me. :) great shot not too keen on Dutch angle but detail and all else great as to be expected.

Finally now go back to your pink shot! And sort out the colour lol

Results look good to me. :) great shot not too keen on Dutch angle but detail and all else great as to be expected.

Cheers Bryn - I was considering buying the ColorMunki Smile kit (£75) so I can calibrate the screen monthly. I won't be able to borrow the Spyder again easily...

Paul.

Paul, please forgive me if this is all old hat to you, but even if it is it might be useful to some readers.

I use a hardware calibrated screen (ColorMunki Display). I don't really know what to say about those images because I don't know what they should look like, but have you looked at the Lagom LCD test images? I think the Black level, White saturation and Gamma calibration images are key. Ideally you should be able to make out Level 1 in the black image and Level 254 in the White image, and the rightmost of the Gamma charts should show as very near to 2.2. How well your screen does will depend on the calibration and the characteristics of the screen. The Viewing angle and Gradient (banding) images will tell you something about your screen too.

I found that when I calibrated my screen I could see more detail (good and bad) than before in my images.

I have found that using camera profiles in Lightroom has enabled me to reveal more detail in images. This involves photographing a Macbeth colour chart and generating colour profile(s) for use in Lightroom. I generate camera profiles using Adobe DNG Converter and DNG Profile editor, both of which are free.

I have found that using white/grey card reference shots to set white balance in post processing has helped greatly with getting colours rendered more realistically.

The combination of white/grey card white balancing and camera profiles has helped me deal with some quite difficult colours, such as some blue/purple colours that a lot of cameras seem to find difficult to cope with, and combined with the calibrated display this has let me render some of those colours in ways that even my wife, who is very colour sensitive, finds realistic (colours of flowers that she knows well. We had an example of that just this evening as it happens.)

I don't print often, and when I do I use a commercial printer. In Lightroom I generate the versions of the images I send to them for printing using the printer profile they provide. This way what I see on screen, what I see in the prints, and what I see real world all match up fairly well in terms of colours.

But the temperature and tonal range (a lot of browns I know, but browns were one of the worst colours on my screen before I ran Spyder) look OK to you Sharky?
To me yes they look good, if i turn off my calibrated profile it looks very cold but enabled it looks nice and warm / natural :)

Nice shot Paul, with good composition and nice and sharp.(y)

I have just looked at your shot on our properly calibrated monitors (we use these for our pro work), and we agree that your shot is just very slightly on the cool side. But only slightly.

Hope this helps.,

George.

To me yes they look good, if i turn off my calibrated profile it looks very cold but enabled it looks nice and warm / natural :)

Cheers m8.

Nice shot Paul, with good composition and nice and sharp.(y)

I have just looked at your shot on our properly calibrated monitors (we use these for our pro work), and we agree that your shot is just very slightly on the cool side. But only slightly.

Hope this helps.,

George.

That's good enough for me George, thanks.

Paul.

Back