First trip out with my new camera

Name
Neil
Edit My Images
No
Be gentle with me as these are my first efforts to upload, shame the water was murky otherwise im quite happy, any advice appreciated though, also have to admit im dont know what the last bird is, hopfully someone can enlighten me.
IMG_1418a.jpg

IMG_1396a.jpg

IMG_1584a.jpg

IMG_1581a.jpg

IMG_1580aa.jpg

IMG_1556a.jpg

Last edited:
they look a little out of focus to me but might be wrong will let others confirm, what camera is it you used?

its a 550d with a canon 55-250 lens, im thinking i should have used ai servo for the focusing which i dont think i did, or could it be the lens?

Well the first three are oof which is probably more down to panning technique than anything else and not using servo mode. The two shots of the bird coming towards you look pretty good to my eye, if anything just a slight sharpen for web display. The Buzzard although in the frame is down to the fact you did not use servo to keep locked on to it as in the first two, plus I would imagine this one is a bit of a heavy crop :shrug:

thanks for all the advice, im going to go back and have another go with all the advice i get here, so any advice on panning technique will be gladly accepted, the buzzard was quite high so a heavy crop was used im afraid
also i see that the pics didnt come up as on other threads, how do i do that?

Last edited:
I quite like 5 - he is nearly drowning his mate from his take off!! Nice one

its a 550d with a canon 55-250 lens, im thinking i should have used ai servo for the focusing which i dont think i did, or could it be the lens?

I didnt mean to come across as nasty if thats the impression you got its all a learning curve and im still the same, I should wear glasses but i dont so most things looks oof to me anyway im always complaining something is oof when its not lol so wasnt sure if it was my eyes of they were actually oof. I do like the pics where the birds are flying at the camera gives the impression of get out the way . Although it could be lens as I had this one and was very dissapointed with it despite the reviews it was not as sharp as i was expecting. I suggest you try using ai servo and try again and if still getting shots like this then ask for the lens to be checked

Last edited:
I didnt mean to come across as nasty if thats the impression you got its all a learning curve and im still the same, I should wear glasses but i dont so most things looks oof to me anyway im always complaining something is oof when its not lol so wasnt sure if it was my eyes of they were actually oof. I do like the pics where the birds are flying at the camera gives the impression of get out the way . Although it could be lens as I had this one and was very dissapointed with it despite the reviews it was not as sharp as i was expecting. I suggest you try using ai servo and try again and if still getting shots like this then ask for the lens to be checked

you didnt come accross as nasty at all, as you say a big learning curve, so was after some advice really and i appreciate every bit i get, there are some fantastic photo`s on the forum, and just to get anywhere near them would be a dream, so as i say thanks for your advice its all taken on board and ill have another go sunday if it keeps nice

Second one is out or focus all the rest excpt the second one with the female flying toward you are suffering from slow shutter speed, the movement of the subject is causing the blur. If it was camera shake everything would be blurred.

Last edited:
Really like the Mallard pics flying towards you, and the buzzard was well caught. (y)

Birds are always difficult to pin down, what do you normally attempt to shoot?

Really like the Mallard pics flying towards you, and the buzzard was well caught. (y)

Birds are always difficult to pin down, what do you normally attempt to shoot?

hi, as i have only just got the camera i shoot anything and everything, i acctuall went for a walk near mine and came upon the lake that i never even knew was there thus the ducks, im thinking perhaps the lens is not upto moving shots, or perhaps the shutter speed needs increasing, i really am open to suggestions, also i see you user name is glastogibbo, do you attend the fesitval, or just live there? ( im off there this year after going for the first time last year)

Back