Wild Fjaðrárgljúfur

Don't know about struggling to pronounce it, it would take me 3 weeks to find the letters on the keyboard to type it!
Seriously, a lovely, sharp, contrasty image with the lit snow used to great effect to guide they eye through.
Tremendous indication of scale too, with the tiny people.

Don't know about struggling to pronounce it, it would take me 3 weeks to find the letters on the keyboard to type it!
Seriously, a lovely, sharp, contrasty image with the lit snow used to great effect to guide they eye through.
Tremendous indication of scale too, with the tiny people.

A name that has to be cut and pasted from a website !!
Fortunately this place points due south, the the sun is best at midday, which is not that common.
I took this with a Leica M Monochrom, there is no post-processing at all other than lens correction, which is minimal given I was using my everyday 35/f2 Cron.
To be honest, the amount of detail you can get out of a MM is rather killed by the compression required by this site.

I must say I prefer the cold to hot, but taking pictures in snow is not that easy. Our next two trips booked are to Spain (all the old bits) in August and Namibia, so I won't have to worry about it for a while. The only ice I'm likely to see will be in a cocktail.

I struggle to pronounce the name of this place, but it's just round the corner from Kirkjubaejarklaustur. In the summer you walk in the valley, nice and green, in the winter it's a nice walk up top.

View attachment 105031

good work...the snow doesnt look like soot
how did you find the right exposure...not bracketing i hope...
show us the no no's
:)
cheers
geof

good work...the snow doesnt look like soot
how did you find the right exposure...not bracketing i hope...
show us the no no's
:)
cheers
geof

That image was 1/500th f/13 ISO320. That ISO is pretty optimal for that camera, there's barely any detectable grain even at ISO 3200. The vast majority of the time I use aperture priority and let the camera do the rest.

To give you an idea of the sharpness and dynamic range, below is crop of the guy's in the top left corner.

34829837313_56921b4227_o.jpg

Here are a few more completely different approaches.

This one is shot with a Zeiss 21mm/f2.8 ZM, again ISO 320, but 8 seconds at f/32 with both big and little blockers (that's 15ND), and it was a pretty overcast day. Sometimes it can just be overpowering, so I just have to live with the peaking off the water at the right hand side. There is almost no post-processing.

35508386301_596cd65f28_k.jpg

This one was with an A7R and a Leica 180mm APO-Telyt R, a razor sharp 25-year old lens, Leica's first apochromatic, and it goes from f/3.4 to f/22. I wanted the snowflakes, so shot at 1/1600th and ISO 800, probably f/3.4. I boosted the white in post-processing to get rid of horse footprints in the snow as much as possible. Also a little sharpening, but not much.

34797698264_5cc1edf561_k.jpg

Last edited:
Back