Critique Floating leaf

Edit My Images
No
Bit of spontaneous leaf photography whilst out photographing funghi, and I came up with the idea of have the leaf floating/levitating above the moss carpet beneath. Fortunately nature provided to hand all the materials required..

Processing based on a VSCO Velvia preset but with some x-trans specific special sauce thrown into the pot. Trying to capture the colours and feel of Autumn, with a bit of playful creativity.

The leaf is beautifully sharp and it does look suspended above the bg. Lovely colour too. Personally, i'd have liked to see the lovely fresh green around the whole leaf, but i realise that in a natural setting this isn't always possible. I think i prefer it in portrait mode too.

Thanks for your comments Lynda. There's a reason I couldn't have the moss brightly lit (I'm shading it a touch with my body) because the leaf is suspended above the background on three sticks pushed into the moss (the tip of one can just be seen) and the low raking winter light was casting the shadows of the sticks in hard relief! Next time I try this I'll have some much thinner wire in the kit bag to avoid this. It's a shot I think works well in either orientation.

Very intuitive. Perhaps some refective paper in the bag too lol. I'm away to make a list for my bag ;)

Back