Flower Power Thread

Nice. I find the soft colours/tones in the third one particularly appealing.

I seek to place the centre of focus/plane of best focus exactly where I want it, but with the cameras I've been using for some years I have not found manual focus a useful way of achieving it. Having several days ago used a dSLR for the first time I am astonished at the control manual focus gives me in placing the centre of focus. This is with flowers. When some subjects put in an appearance I shall be interested to find out what it is like using manual focus for invertebrates.

It works well - like this

DSC05076 Wasp Harvesting wood
by lesmoxonphotography, on Flickr

Les ;)

Hi Mandy - Cheerful start to the day - thank you - & with lovely colour
animated-smileys-nature-008.gif

PS What's a Sony A77 - a mobile phone :p

Cheeky Bugga :p:p:p:p:p

Like the flower a lot but l would have put it more in front of the foliage and tried to lose the (distracting) Venetian blond.
Thanks
I did try that but did not like it as much

H

Nah, people just press the button, the camera does all the difficult bits...

Camera's don't take great shots, people do :D:D

Make that 'some' people do - in my case - when I can get out with the camera - but that's another story :(

Nah, people just press the button, the camera does all the difficult bits...

I'm still learning how to use my camera (own fault for keep changing my mind on the exact model) & trying to work out the on/off switch - anyone help with that or is it a case of RTFM :LOL:

Make that 'some' people do - in my case - when I can get out with the camera - but that's another story :(

I always MAKE the time to get out and photograph something, every weekend - work permitting

Les ;)

I'm still learning how to use my camera (own fault for keep changing my mind on the exact model) & trying to work out the on/off switch - anyone help with that or is it a case of RTFM :LOL:

I would suggest showing it to K and asking her! If that fails, RTFM. If it's a Nikon DSLR, the switch is usually around the shutter button.

Les, for assorted reasons, it's not quite that simple for John.

I would suggest showing it to K and asking her! If that fails, RTFM. If it's a Nikon DSLR, the switch is usually around the shutter button.

Les, for assorted reasons, it's not quite that simple for John.

Hi Nod - K is on her third camera in just over one year :eek:

It is Nikon D5100 with extra 18-105mm & then a few weeks back a 35mm 1.8 but I've not managed to use it out of the house - really bloody frustrating :(

I always MAKE the time to get out and photograph something, every weekend - work permitting

Les ;)

Hi Les - as Nod said my abilities fall well short of the normal on many different fronts - but I still like having something to play with :)

PS Nod No reply please to my last phrase :eek:

I like both of these, Judi, my favourite being the first since it shows the screwy nature of the twigs. The screws get a little lost against the background in the second but it looks more natural.

I prefer the second for exactly that reason. Well, and that I like the colours. And the composition. And the hairy texture on the stems. But looking at the first one again after Nod's comment, it really does show the screwy nature of it really well.

Hi Les - as Nod said my abilities fall well short of the normal on many different fronts - but I still like having something to play with :)

PS Nod No reply please to my last phrase :eek:

Always good to have something to Play with Nick :D:D

After i finished work today i went out with my cameras to see what i could find. I came across a nice looking primrose So i thought i would take a picture of it on my 400D with my 18-55mm lens and raynox 150.

Primrose
by pinkbikerbabe 1, on Flickr

well spotted Many and a lovely spring flower, just needs a contrast boost

like this

still up for a Slimbridge Meet in the very near Future?

Les ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry had to delete

Last edited:
6021910356_60daae4005_z.jpg

Gazanias after a Summer shower and then bright sun.

6010931019_7c4b85d008_z.jpg

Californian Poppy

Wow lots of colour there Peter

H

Thanks for more flower goodness from Mandy, Peter and Helen. It's great to know that there are others here who enjoy the visual treats that flowers give us.

I like the way you are using light Helen.

Here are some Camellias from our garden yesterday, late afternoon.

0527 15 2014_02_28 IMG_3270-Edit PS1 PSS3.24
by gardenersassistant, on Flickr

0527 16 2014_02_28 IMG_3281-Edit-2 PS1 PSS3.35

0527 17 2014_02_28 IMG_3282-Edit-2 PS1 PSS3.35

0527 18 2014_02_28 IMG_3290-Edit PS1 PSS3.10

0527 19 2014_02_28 IMG_3288-Edit PS1 PSS3.19

Those last two are early tulips, Mandy.

Helen and Nick, both your gardens seem to be ahead of ours and we're usually fairly well advanced! We've got a few little Narcissi out but the camellia's a week or so away from flowering. Got the odd "wild" crocus in the front lawn but not where I can get at them easily with a camera.

Back