Focus onimaging

Edit My Images
Yes
Can confirm the 5d mk3 and 1dx are at the show. Had a play already. Very impressed

Are we allowed to put a card in and take a shot in raw?..

Anyone seen the leica rangefinder?
The missus heard they were going to put in an appearance.
What stall is it on?

Lee

Any refurb/used D3s bodies to be had?

Is the new Olympus OM-D EM5 on show?

Last edited:
Home now. Didn't seem that busy, I've seen busier on weekdays on previous years. Jacobs were selling refurb kit, wasn't looking at Nikon though.
On the canon stand, a couple of 5d mk3's couple with 35mm primes, very nice combination. The new menu system looked good, same as the 1dx. 1dx and 1d mk4 had 85mm primes on them, blimey that lens is beautiful. 1dx looks impressive, same size and weight as 1d4 (I.e. felt huge to me) :)
Lots of people with cameras there, mostly gathered around the models. Spent some time at the flash centre
Poking at rigs with my son.
Didn't get to pop into the meet.

canon missed last year they pulled out at the last i think they did not been able to get there this year.

Merc

Went today, just for 1 hour as I had too much to do. Had a quick play with the 5D III and the 24-70mm II. Love the new screens on the 5D III !
Did not notice the 200-400 unfortunately, might have to go again to have another look if I get the time.

I spent a good few hours there. It got busy later. Nikon wouldn't allow cards to be put in the D4/D800.

Kev.

micloi said:
Went today, just for 1 hour as I had too much to do. Had a quick play with the 5D III and the 24-70mm II. Love the new screens on the 5D III !
Did not notice the 200-400 unfortunately, might have to go again to have another look if I get the time.

In the corner of the stand nearest the cps stand. They said it was a beta.

I got really ****ed with all the pervs/weirdos with their cameras at the lighting talks today. I really wasn't sure what they were going to achieve. I was trying to listen to the talks and learn, so when one guy wanted to push to the front to take a shot I told him where to go and asked him if he knew that could hire his own models.

I definitely think that if you are going to Focus for at least semi serious stuff Sunday is not the best day.

I can go any day from now until the close, is Wednesday still considered the best day to try and bag some bargains?

Anyone hazard a guess at roughly how much a used/refurb D3s body would be IF anyone was selling?

Is there anyone there who is selling or demoing any video specific tripods? (I'm taking for heavy camcorders not DSLRs).

I might also be interested in any deals on a Panasonic GH2 body.

Well said James.

The togs with cameras are the dudes who have a bossy/insecure wife that will not let take pics of women.

Or blokes that are too stupid or tight to go hire a model their selves.

And I'd take the Pepsi challange with any of them to say any different.

I bet a fare few on here are some of those togs on the Demo/model stands....

Couple of hours Adam? There all day tommorrow to much to sort out and meet people.

Cameras/props. wedding stuff and a mini lab....... too much to do tomorrow.

Last edited:
I got really ****ed with all the pervs/weirdos with their cameras at the lighting talks today.

I commented on the same to my wife when I got home. It was sad be be stood amongst them. I did wonder what the models were thinking.

Kev.

Same thing at car shows and even motor racing these days! Some of the grid girls are pretty but it's a bit desperate to follow then around with a big long lens!

Silly men photographing slightly clad females at focus has been par for the course since the early days.

Any talks/demos that anyone would recommend?

I am going Tuesday.

I didn't have a problem getting to the 5d3, first impressions are it's just about perfect and if it lives up to the Canon reps hype about being a huge leap forward over the 5d2 it will indeed be 99% there :D The card door was taped up to prevent cards being inserted as they were still pre production models. I think it's safe to say I'vestopped hankering after a 1 series as the 5 is now ticking the right boxes. I'd have loved to have seen the grip too with the jog wheels in place to aid changing settings and image review when shooting in portrait mode.

For me, the spread of focus points is still a bit tight, a few a bit further towards the edge of the frame would have been nice, but the AF tracking and acquisition were nothing short of fantastic.

When I got the Canon stand the 200-400 was just lying on the floor looking a bit sorry for itself, I think it wanted me to take it home and give it a hug :D

The guy on the Calumet stand said that there were plenty of peole looking, but not many people buying.

I had some good chats with various printing houses and background suppliers and even bought a think tank belt and pouch .....oh and a 5kg counter weight for my boom stand.

Had a marvellous chat with Christian Hough on the bowens stand between demos, cleared up a few issues I've been struggling with (y)

Aye, the number of times I got shunted by a huge back pack or a 70-200 was shocking this year. I can't understand why, without a trigger for the lights on the stand people were shooting, the images I saw on peoples cameras were awful :wacky:

Who's going to post some pictures of these scantily clad women then? :D:naughty:

I didn't have a problem getting to the 5d3, first impressions are it's just about perfect and if it lives up to the Canon reps hype about being a huge leap forward over the 5d2 it will indeed be 99% there :D The card door was taped up to prevent cards being inserted as they were still pre production models. I think it's safe to say I'vestopped hankering after a 1 series as the 5 is now ticking the right boxes. I'd have loved to have seen the grip too with the jog wheels in place to aid changing settings and image review when shooting in portrait mode.

For me, the spread of focus points is still a bit tight, a few a bit further towards the edge of the frame would have been nice, but the AF tracking and acquisition were nothing short of fantastic.

When I got the Canon stand the 200-400 was just lying on the floor looking a bit sorry for itself, I think it wanted me to take it home and give it a hug :D

The guy on the Calumet stand said that there were plenty of peole looking, but not many people buying.

I had some good chats with various printing houses and background suppliers and even bought a think tank belt and pouch .....oh and a 5kg counter weight for my boom stand.

Had a marvellous chat with Christian Hough on the bowens stand between demos, cleared up a few issues I've been struggling with (y)

The reason for the condense AF points near the centre for both canon and Nikon is a simple one. Physic.

The light that enter the lens and hit the mirror and then the focus screen, it tapers off towards the edge so there are less light landing on the edge than the centre. If you put AF points in the outer area they would be not the same reading as the centre, the difference could be a few stops. That causes problems in terms of exposure and probably affect focusing in that area due to lower light.

Who's going to post some pictures of these scantily clad women then? :D:naughty:

This is all I got last year, trying to show the bizarreness of the situation.... :LOL:

DSC_87091.jpg

Last edited:
specialman said:
This is all I got last year, trying to show the bizarreness of the situation....

Can't make out if the guy at the front is holding a light meter or a compact, if it's the later than he's the ultimate perv

Last edited:
Silly men photographing slightly clad females at focus has been par for the course since the early days.

Any talks/demos that anyone would recommend?

I am going Tuesday.

yes, go see the lastolite stand (just as you go in & close to cannon) really practical & interesting talks, especially by Adam Duckworth.

Didn't get to see too many other talks, but the Nik Software looked interesting!

I have to be honest and say I was a bit disappointed in the lencarta stand - went on it 4 or 5 times and didn't get attention from anyone, despite them being available...(yes, I smiled, looked hopeful, and commented loudly about wanting to try things out) and I was ready to buy!!! :crying:

If you want to try the Nikon D800, be ready to queue up! ;)

EMA747 said:
I can go any day from now until the close, is Wednesday still considered the best day to try and bag some bargains?

Anyone hazard a guess at roughly how much a used/refurb D3s body would be IF anyone was selling?

Is there anyone there who is selling or demoing any video specific tripods? (I'm taking for heavy camcorders not DSLRs).

I might also be interested in any deals on a Panasonic GH2 body.

Manfrotto stand had their very good video tripods and heads, plus the self levelling heads/centre columns.

digitalfailure said:
Aye, the number of times I got shunted by a huge back pack or a 70-200 was shocking this year. I can't understand why, without a trigger for the lights on the stand people were shooting, the images I saw on peoples cameras were awful :wacky:

Completely agree with this. I thought it was very crowded compared to the Sunday last year and made all the worse by the huge backpack brigade. Surprised some of them didn't need a Sherpa to carry the wretched things!

Serious lack of manners was evident far too often as well. Barging to the front of queues and the like.

Still enjoyed it overall though.

I'll be there tomorrow, and if anyone is selling GENUINE Canon LP-E4 at under £70 then it's mine :) , We'll be checking out the dye subs too ;)

We will NOT be taking a camera, did it on my first trip there a few years ago, and a waste of time, just more weight to lug around all day.

Last edited:
I agree about those taking photos. They were annoying, especially as I wanted to learn / watch properly without getting a camera shoved up infront of me...

Especially by some short Chinese guy with his Nikon flash pointed right in my face blinding me.

To be fair, I did the same a few years ago. Not at the same level of course. I just took a couple of cheeky shots here and there walking past but that was it.

Today I realised it was just ........ silly, especially when it interferes with people actually willing to listen to the talks.

I didn't even take any camera today to the show.

digitalfailure said:

That got me, the number of people there with 70-200 lenses on. Huge camera backpacks. I saw one guy with a dslr, flash on top and another flash on a bracket to the side, both wired to the camera. Most of the models were setup on the lighting stands, posed to demonstrate the lighting setups, so I'm not sure what they thought they were photographing.
I went light. Didn't see the point in taking anything with me

Back