Focus onimaging

I'd be interested to hear more about the ball head you mentioned. I want to move away from the Pan & Tile Manfrotto one and i know ball heads you really get what you pay for and I don't trust cheap ones where I have £4,000 sitting on top of it.

I'm terrible at remembering numbers and product names but I think this is the one:

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-giottos-mh1300-652-series-ii-ball-head/p1025891

I first thought the actual base plate was a bit mickey-mouse but it's all very well machined and the double catch lever means you have to intentionally want to release the plate to get it off; it's not going to come off by accident. I was mulling over the cheaper £40 ball heads but the rep said these were the new breed as such, because of the adjustability when it comes to the friction on the ball. He said that a lot of birders have been using these for scopes and bigger lenses because they have that fluid feel once adjusted to the weight of the lens/camera. Really impressed with this - there are two otters similar that are cheaper but I think they are smaller and have less maximum load.

The other head I liked was this:

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-giottos-vh6011-658d-2-way-video-birding-head/p1518593

had a beautifully smooth up/down action that was adjusted by a lever on the side to adjust the friction. Plus it's spring loaded so when you reach its maximum tilt, it wasn't to return itself to horizontal so it makes moving a large weight much easier. Not that versatile as a general head because of the lack of tilt to put a camera in vertical orientation but as a panning head, it was silky smooth also. I might buy one of these to go on whatever tripod I go for, solely for video work.

Looked at manfrotto and Gitzo but aside from the prices, nothing stood out more than what Giottos were showing. They have some brilliant aluminium tripods that go to 180cm and are super-super light. Probably not free from vibration in a strong wind because of their lightweight (a counterweight could help) but as general tripods for hiking around, £70-80 is a brilliant price I feel.

Last edited:
Interesting story from someone who went on Sunday. Said a lady asked a guy about a specific Hasselblad product, apparently in great detail so knew what she wanted. Guy on stand told her all the information could be found on the web!

Interesting story from someone who went on Sunday. Said a lady asked a guy about a specific Hasselblad product, apparently in great detail so knew what she wanted. Guy on stand told her all the information could be found on the web!

I can't help but feel, as with trade shows I've been involved with, that after a few days the reps do start to flag a little in their enthusiasm. :)

On a different note, had a play with the 1Dmk4 and couldn't believe the solidity of it; feels like a house brick! Really impressive build although I hated the handling in vertical orientation... the grip just didn't have enough purchase. It had a f/1.2 85mm on it.... wow! What an impressive piece of glass. I didn't find the focussing like lightning but it was still good.

Still, had a proper play with a D3s today and it just felt like my D2x in very way except the menus are more in-depth and the fps was lightning. I can now see how AF speed has moved on from my cameras - it's a another world, even on lesser models like the D7000.

Last edited:
Went along yesterday, walked in just after 10, and thought, this is not too bad, hardly anyone here, hour later it was pretty bust though.

I'd love to see a lighting company with the balls to put a male model on their stand for demos, probably be commercial suicide, but it might sort the pervs out from the men!

We went on Sunday and my hubby and I were saying this as well! There was a male model dressed in tight shorts handing out bags who was being ignored by all!!

Apart from the rudeness from some people we had a very enjoyable day. Came home with a Lee 10 stopper and am waiting for a Bowens kit to arrive tomorrow!

Did anyone notice if there was anything much from Epson/Permajet/Lyson/Fotospeed offering any discounts on CIS kits or r2880/3000 printers?

I've just found a leaflet I picked up from the Epson stand - they are doing the R2880 for £399.00 and the R3000 for £499. not sure how these prices compare with online.

specialman said:
I can't help but feel, as with trade shows I've been involved with, that after a few days the reps do start to flag a little in their enthusiasm. :)

Last edited:
Sorry messed up last post on iPad. Meant to quote Specialman and add that brush off by guy on Hasselblad request was around lunch time on Sunday. Hope no one asks him anything tomorrow!!

I've just found a leaflet I picked up from the Epson stand - they are doing the R2880 for £399.00 and the R3000 for £499. not sure how these prices compare with online.

Thanks Sarah, approx £40-50 cheaper than most I have seen. Hmmm...might be struggling out the door with a big box!

Going to make a trip there tomorrow, got a complimentary ticket via my day job so a day out and have some other bits to attend to in Solihull.

Won't be taking my proper camera kit, maybe just the G11!

i was amazed at the goodies i picked up at FOI on sunday. Hopefully you'll have as much luck as i had :) I probably would have had a better time also if i wasn't feeling so rough.

Every year I go I see people walking around with calenders from the same photographer tucked under their arm and I`ve yet to find out who is selling/ giving them away ?

It`s bugging me that I might be missing out on a freebie lol

Summary of the improvements from the 4?
I don't know, sorry. I haven't used one before but it's the future...

Having spent some time falling for the Fuji X-Pro1 on Monday I went for a closer look with a sensible head on. The guy confirmed they were production models that had arrived the day before Focus started. I really struggled with the EVF, it knocked me sick but the optical finder was fine. I also struggled to focus it on anyone who as walking, even slowly, whether towards, away, diagonally or across the frame...it missed focus every time from many attempts but could be down to user error. Noise handling looked excellent when pixel peeping on the back screen, 3200 was lovely, 6400 was just creeping in and the max (25600) reminded me of a 40D at 1600.

Some really enjoyable talks today, mainly on the SWPP and Olympus stands, McGillicuddy, Thomassen and the Yerburys were on form. I couldn't sit through Cleghorn's boudoir talk due to the masses of idiots with cameras, it was an embarrassment.

Hats off to the guy in the linen suit with two pro bodies and huge lenses for my 'Knob of the Day' award (y)

Nice to see you again Richard....got your text about needing a lift in when I got home...lol, no battery left on phone.

Nice to see you again Richard....got your text about needing a lift in when I got home...lol, no battery left on phone.
Great to see you too Tom (y) at least you're not still sat in your room waiting.

Been today, not too busy but still some annoying geeks with massive backpacks, long lenses, Gary Fong lightspheres and stuff...same folks that crowded the stands with teenage flesh on display. Sure she will like your Christmas jumper and middle aged beard guys :)

Nice to have an informative chat (and demo) with Damien Lovegrove for the first time (with his model discussed earlier), saw Gary Edwards, Will Cheung etc. Some great equipment and software, some keen prices, e.g. Epson R2880 at £349, Lightroom 3 at £59, etc. but in general the prices were not always better than you can find on the web.

Hmmm as I was handling the new Nikon D4, another punter asked me 'what's the quality like'? eh? He suggested I look at the screen to assess it... eh? Sure fella...

Overall a reasonable day out, didn't spend much, maybe wish I had bought the Epson r3000 with a fotospeed ink system, but tbh feel perhaps it's nicer to be £700 better off for now at least.

Last edited:
Just got back form my first time at Focus and I had a good time there. I have to say I didn't find the rucksack brigade anywhere near as bad as I thought it would be. I remember going to the Motorshow in London years ago with my Dad when I was a kid and it was a million times busier that Focus. Still I do think they maybe should have a no large bags policy.

Also agree with those that said why take a camera. I took my GF2 but there wasn't anything I wanted to take a photo of.

After having played with a D4 and listened to the talk on it I am sold. What a great camera and combines the video standards I wish the D3s had when I was looking at them a year or so ago. I was seriously tempted to pre-order one at Camera World as they were doing them for £4500. I decided not to when they said they wouldn't be getting any in for two weeks or more. I'm off to Istanbul in two weeks so would have wanted the camera to take with me. Might order when I get back though.

My Knob of the Day award goes to some dude who was playing with one of only two D4s for literally 15 minutes! There were at least 4 others besides me who were blatantly trying to get a quick look but this other guy just ignored us. Everyone else seemed to be having a play for 3-5 minutes and then handing it on to the next person. Fair enough if he was having an in-depth test but he just seemed to be firing off loads of shots and flicking though them then firing off more. Come on man give others a turn!

Yes, I have been looking at the x-pro with interest. I went to Focus on Sunday and was specifically one of the 1st through the door so I could have a play. I'm glad I went as I agree with what you have said, it's helped me calm down a bit. I am going to wait until they are in shops and I can have a good play and read reviews. Find it strange hearing about lots of people selling all their kit and placing pre-orders. It could be the most innovative bit of kit to arrive for some time. Or, it could be a few years too soon and the x-pro2 is the one to wait for.

Last edited:
I couldnt get near the D800 as there was a huge queue every time I walked past.. Why would you queue to look at a camera?
Strange bunch.
Got a quick 5 minutes with the D4 though which felt lovely and at 12800 ISO, the files looked really clean (On the back of the screen zoomed in anyhow).

I wanted to have a look at the Samyang 14mm, but the blokes there were more interested in talking foreign to themselves, so scrapped that idea.

Had to laugh at the Lencarta stand as the poor model was blinded by the flash going off in her face every 2 seconds. The guy was trying to get a lightmeter reading, but all the perverts photographers with thier silly flashguns and on board flashes, kept firing the main studio flashes he had set up.. He looked a little flustered.

I enjoyed the Topaz labs demo, and walked out with a copy for £129.

Apart from that, same old stuff. Nothing there that wowed me, and not much in the way of great prices.

Been a while since i have been,but have to say it wasn't too bad, had a good chat on the canon stand liked the 5diii enough to consider getting one, the 200-400 was very nice indeed. plenty of seminars to keep you interested all in all a enjoyable day for me and SWMBO was amusing to see the camera toting pervs around the models though not sure if they were listening to the demos though ha ha.

I went today and had a good chat with one of the EOS Experts...He really knew his stuff and was also quite happy to give his own opinion as well as the Canon party line answers...I was very impressed with both the 1dx 5d3 and also the 200-400mm zoom lens.

Every year I go I see people walking around with calenders from the same photographer tucked under their arm and I`ve yet to find out who is selling/ giving them away ?

It's been bugging us as well, didn't see them anywhere for sale but plenty of people carrying them around!

We're wondering whether they are given free to first so many going through the doors!:shrug:

I couldn't figure that out either, however hard I looked I couldn't see the source of the calenders that so many people were carrying :)

LowePro were giving away calendars early on each day...I didn't get one though

I had a good day, picked up a black rapid having been blown away by the DR1 double strap, the chap (who looked familiar, I think he might have been the inventor) even hooked up a couple of weighty bodies, I couldn't even feel them! Too many knobbers walking around with all the gear they own, and cringeworthy crowds around every model but a good day nonetheless. I even got to play with my dream camera, the Alpa 12, courtesy of Linhof Studio.

I don't know, sorry. I haven't used one before but it's the future...
I went and had a look today. 1 model is pretty much the Intuos 4, but the better one is pen and 'touch', which means you can move things round with your fingers as well as the usual. :cool:

I was well chuffed to see loads of my work used as display for Dunns Pro labs and my school class work used on GF Smith.

Happy days!

I had a chat with one of the girls on the Dunns stand when setting up an account, mentioned your name and after a quick roll of her eyes she was beaming with commendation for you. Made the whole experience worth it, thanks Daryl.

Rgh, beyond jealous of everyone who went Focus on Imaging. I couldn't make it & I was gutted. Seems like everyone had an amazing experience there.

Rgh, beyond jealous of everyone who went Focus on Imaging. I couldn't make it & I was gutted. Seems like everyone had an amazing experience there.
There is always next year. Just make sure to save up so you can buy all the nice things on display! :D

Went today got loads of freebies and some decent fine art paper at cheapish prices.

Wanted some pocket wizards but they wouldnt even give me a fiver discount.

Ended up with Lightroom 3 for £59 which I was happy with, even more so as I might get a free upgrade to lr4 ( crosses fingers and touches wood )

Left as they where starting to break the place down. Decided not to spend silly money like last year but still had a great day and met up with some friends of another forum.

£7.90 for a sarnie a plate of chips and a diet coke LOL they sure know how to grab you by the court and shirleys. Didnt even get away with the parking this year LOL.

Went yesterday.

Roadworks on the M25 & M1 so it took ages.

Took sarnies ;) so didn't have to pay extortionate prices for food...

Yes I had a camera - 50D with 17-40 on. However that was because I wanted a small bag for it & to try before I buy. Got a Think Tank Digital Holster 20 Expandable Shoulder Bag V2.0. Only a fiver off the Amazon price.

There was very attractive model in a red dress at one lighting stand. As per earlier posts lots of pervs shooting from a very low position.... (not me I hasten to add)..

Got a VANGUARD SBH-50 Ball Head with a couple of plates. No real saving though.

However as it was my birthday my 'implse buy' was a SAMYANG 8 mm f / 3.5 Fisheye - £200 for cash.

Oh yes there was also a model on another stand whose lips were thicker than her arms :LOL:

However as it was my birthday my 'implse buy' was a SAMYANG 8 mm f / 3.5 Fisheye - £200 for cash.

Gits, they told me a firm 209 regardless.

You can get it roughly for that price online, so I thought stuff it.

A sarnie and a can of coke from tescos must have saved me about £10 on the silly priced food there, maybe I should have put that towards it.

I was going to buy a 270ex II.

Jacobs had them at £209. However I asked the chap if I could look at it as I wanted to see the build quality.

"No we don't do demonstrations. Go look on the Canon stand".

It was his tone I didn't like, so even if Canon had had one for me to look at I still wouldn't have bought it from them.

Back