Football 7/10/2006.

Edit My Images
Yes
Yesterday's star match for the paper and BBC online. Sneyd Park vs. Retainers. Not the highest standard of footy but generates a fair few hits and people at the game. In Bristol, the downs league has nigh on 50 teams and is the largest league in Europe, even bigger than Hackney Marsh; London.

Was one of those classic sunny but dove grey autumn skies that caused long shadows one way, so managed the light, shot between 1/3 - 2/3 stop under exposed at 2.8 ISO 200. Happy with the white detail as not crushed and creases in the kit evident. White and black kits are so hard to meter.

The top picture made the entire back page of Bristol premier sports paper and netted me £48.00 so a good days shoot as I got the front page too! Happy days.

Comments welcome.

TitanImages_Sneydvs.jpg

TitanImages_Sneydvs-2.jpg

TitanImages_Sneydvs-3.jpg

TitanImages_Sneydvs-4.jpg

TitanImages_Sneydvs-5.jpg

TitanImages_Sneydvs-8.jpg

TitanImages_Sneydvs-9.jpg

TitanImages_Sneydvs-10.jpg

TitanImages_Sneydvs-12.jpg

TitanImages_Sneydvs-11.jpg

Great shots :)

Which company is it you shot these for? (I asked in previous football thread but no answer)

Your exposure is always superb, do you use a hand held light meter or the spot metering in the camera, if so where did you take your spot readings from for these shots ?

Great shots :)

Which company is it you shot these for? (I asked in previous football thread but no answer)

Nath. Cant say on the forum as I being paid to go out and shoot for these and if this gets picked up in a search engine etc.....:thinking: :thumbsdown:

Obviously other stuff has been FTP'd to them and then bought by the papers. However, I dont want to stop posting stuff here :woot:

Diego.

Your exposure is always superb, do you use a hand held light meter or the spot metering in the camera, if so where did you take your spot readings from for these shots ?

Thanks. I usually start by firing a few test shots. Look at the sky and see how the light is falling. Then using the histogram dial in what I think I want. As ever, I under expose by 1-2/3 rds of a stop to retain detail and not crush blacks and whites. I dont use spot however as too tricky with the many variable kits on display though has come in handy when shooting evening games, if for example one team are in black and the others in an alternative colour.

One tip is that grass can usually be considered as 18% grey so take a shot or two of that and work from there.

Hope this helps.(y)

Diego.

A few of those made me giggle. The players look like they are in a ballet. Quite amusing. Nice exsposures and well captured. Great lens by the looks of it.

King

great shots, love the clarity. may be a scots thing but love the "hoops" tops with what appears to be a rangers emblem on the shorts!

Thanks. I usually start by firing a few test shots. Look at the sky and see how the light is falling. Then using the histogram dial in what I think I want. As ever, I under expose by 1-2/3 rds of a stop to retain detail and not crush blacks and whites. I dont use spot however as too tricky with the many variable kits on display though has come in handy when shooting evening games, if for example one team are in black and the others in an alternative colour.
Do you ever just go fully manual? Different subject I know but you've got the same sort of problems with the bikes, took a bit of a leap of faith for me but I'm finding it more consistent now. (Although I still chicken out occasionally and let the camera decide)

Absolute quality shots, clear, great expressions, very nice (y)

Do you ever just go fully manual? Different subject I know but you've got the same sort of problems with the bikes, took a bit of a leap of faith for me but I'm finding it more consistent now. (Although I still chicken out occasionally and let the camera decide)

Absolute quality shots, clear, great expressions, very nice (y)

Yes and no. Sometimes it easier to let the camera sort out the ex for you. However, every pro I have shot with all use manual mode and often work with two 'in head' exposure settings, one for shade one for sun and change on the fly. However, as the exposure can vary so much it takes a heck of a lot of camera management to keep your ex. spot on, but is perfectly possible.

This may sound mad but I still have not worked out if I can lock the exposure on my 30D on manual made as I use the * button as custom focus.

Back