Football.. Am I improving?

Name
Trev
Edit My Images
Yes
The last time I posted football shots I asked for advice on how to improve.
I tried to take all this onboard at todays shoot.
What do you think?

1. Getting the shirt detail in the whites against a white wall.
IMG_3529.jpg

2. In the thick of the action.
IMG_3041.jpg

3. Shooting pass players and getting the focus right.
IMG_3279.jpg

4. I wouldnt have got this without continuous shooting.
IMG_3452.jpg

Great set. I prefer #4 with its capture of a more interesting footballing moment. The white shirt problem is easily solved - photograph teams that play in colours other than white. Moving in the right direction.

Had to go quite far back on these pages to find your previous footy-post.. but found it eventually.
I do think these images are better than the last set you posted.. so at least I think your shot have improved nicely!!

I suppose in the first two you've got the player in blue having their face covered by one or another body part of the player in white. Other than that I like both of them, the third is maybe my fav or the lot. The fourth doesn't do it for me, it is well captured moment.. but just lacks something IMHO...

But as said, def. moving into the right direction!

What game is this?

If theres anything wrong with them I'd say that you chose a poor position to shoot from. When it's sunny I always try to get the sun directly behind me so it lights up the players as they run towards the camera.

Can you reduce DOF ? the conditions look bright so max aperture would perhaps throw some of the background objects further out of focus.

Great set. I prefer #4 with its capture of a more interesting footballing moment. The white shirt problem is easily solved - photograph teams that play in colours other than white. Moving in the right direction.

Thanks.. Unfortunately I take the photos for Swanage FC... and they play in white :(

Had to go quite far back on these pages to find your previous footy-post.. but found it eventually.
I do think these images are better than the last set you posted.. so at least I think your shot have improved nicely!!

I suppose in the first two you've got the player in blue having their face covered by one or another body part of the player in white. Other than that I like both of them, the third is maybe my fav or the lot. The fourth doesn't do it for me, it is well captured moment.. but just lacks something IMHO...

But as said, def. moving into the right direction!

Thanks, I find getting the right composition quite hard, as it's so random as to where the action is to take place. It's so unpredictable unlike motosports.
I find football the hardest subject to shoot.

And yes sorry... I should've put a link to the previous post.

Thanks

Can you reduce DOF ? the conditions look bright so max aperture would perhaps throw some of the background objects further out of focus.

I kept the dof high enough to ensure I got the main subjects in focus, when I get better I will start lowering the dof somewhat, but saying that I the widest aperture is 5.6 at 300mm on my lens.

got some nice photos there. 4th one the winner by far.
the reason why: the rest of the photos seem very congested with players in front of other players who arent doing anything.
i know theres nothing you can do about it but some different viewpoints and some luck i feel gets you the perfect shot

Back