For anyone who's bought lenses from PANAMOZ

Name
Patrick
Edit My Images
Yes
For anyone who has bought lenses from PANAMOZ, can you tell me your datecode? Was it the same year as you bought your lens?
I'm about to make a purchase but want to make sure the date code is this year and not 2 yrs ago!
Thanks

Does it matter how long it's been sitting in a warehouse somewhere?

I wouldn't even know how to check the date code.

This.

Its not going to affect warranty etc of its an older date code.

The only reason to worry about that is if there was a specific known defect that affected a certain range of serials.

Panamoz are great about warranty claims etc, so I'd not worry too much.

I bought a Nikon 80-400G - fairly certain that the date code will be this year.....:)

I would expect Panamoz to have a fast turn around of lenses & cameras, so you should receive a newish lens. My Fuji XT was a high serial number and about 17k above the light leak affected cameras.

For anyone who has bought lenses from PANAMOZ, can you tell me your datecode? Was it the same year as you bought your lens?
I'm about to make a purchase but want to make sure the date code is this year and not 2 yrs ago!
Thanks
I bought a 85mm 1.2 canon lens and it came with the new lens cap so can't be more then a year sitting in the warehouse /someone's closet haha

I bought a Canon 24-105 from them last month and it has a 2014 date code (made in January).

Last edited:

Date code can have an affect on resale value, check all the L lens ads and see how often people ask for the date code and then make lower offers for older date code lenses.

I would say though, Panamoz don't really have a warehouse per se, and source stock almost on an "as needed" basis, the odds of getting old stock from them must be pretty remote (unless a supplier sends them an old stock item, but then asking for previous customers experience can't actually give an accurate experience as suppliers can change quite quickly).

Standard white, red and black box here as well.

Date code can have an affect on resale value, check all the L lens ads and see how often people ask for the date code and then make lower offers for older date code lenses.

I would say though, Panamoz don't really have a warehouse per se, and source stock almost on an "as needed" basis, the odds of getting old stock from them must be pretty remote (unless a supplier sends them an old stock item, but then asking for previous customers experience can't actually give an accurate experience as suppliers can change quite quickly).

Is there a difference between date codes, or is it people being silly? If there's actually no difference, I can only imagine for everyone who asks for a date code, there'll be others who are more sensible who don't give a damn, so don't worry. If it's the same lens, all I;d care about is it's condition and whether it's been abused or not.

Last edited:
I find it really strange that the OP is buying a lens (potentially) & is worried that the sale of that lens may cost him money...

Easy way to fix that is to not sell the lens........

I find it really strange that the OP is buying a lens (potentially) & is worried that the sale of that lens may cost him money...

Easy way to fix that is to not sell the lens........

Or buy second hand:)

Back to the OP.
It's a massive misunderstanding of the importance of the 'age' of a lens, take something like the 17-40L, it's been in production years, there's a difference in the value of a 2014 lens compared to a 2004 one that's been owned by a pro or two, but there's no realistic difference between a January 2012 or January 2011 lens. How long realistically will a lens be sat on a shelf? Given the cost of holding 100 lenses in stock. And an original receipt dated July 2014 for a lens with a date code of Aug 2013 makes it a brand new lens, not an 'old' one.

Is there a difference between date codes, or is it people being silly? If there's actually no difference, I can only imagine for everyone who asks for a date code, there'll be others who are more sensible who don't give a damn, so don't worry. If it's the same lens, all I;d care about is it's condition and whether it's been abused or not.

It's probably people using the age of the lens as a bargaining tool to reduce the price, having watched a number of sales here, as well as on other forums I'd say the majority of potential buyers will ask for the age code when an L lens comes up for sale.

How relevant it really is, is debatable, but until Canon decide to omit it (or change to a format people can't decipher), it's going to happen.

Lenses do not need a shelf life like a carton of milk. The only thing that is relevant is that it has the focal length that you require, the fastest aperture you need and that it functions correctly with no internal or external damage.

I have a number of Nikon lenses that are over 30 years old that are still optically perfect.

Lenses do not need a shelf life like a carton of milk. The only thing that is relevant is that it has the focal length that you require, the fastest aperture you need and that it functions correctly with no internal or external damage.

I have a number of Nikon lenses that are over 30 years old that are still optically perfect.

Not really relevant to the OPs question, but I bought a used Canon 20-35mm 2.8 a few months back...the age was very relevant, as Canon won't touch it any more, sadly it was broken as well, so basically a write-off.

I believe the original 85mm 1.2 falls into this category too.

Dont quite understand the importance to be honest. Ok, so you may have the date that the lens was put together, but the date codes of the individual electronic components of the lens could be up to five years old as I understand it.

Date code May 2012, bought October 2012.

Got my lens this afternoon! I'll open it in a bit and will update this thread.

Ok - opened my package - it's the normal white/red box but the lens has no date code so must be one of the latest lenses with no date code?!

EDIT: ok I found out how to read the new datecode format. Mine is 2013. That's ok - I can live with that! :)

Last edited:
Back