forest shoot

Name
Rick
Edit My Images
Yes
Had a wee shoot at a local venue with a first time model and a make-up artist I've got friendly with through Facebook. Trying some different processing again just to try and keep things varied so fell free to give full and frank review.

Side note:
Really struggled at the end with soft pictures (like no part of the picture sharp) using a 5Dii and a Sigma 24-70 2.8. Shutter speed was high as was the ISO due to failing light - is it a case of the 5Dii not able to cope or the lens not working right? Had been swapping lens regularly with my old 70-200 and did notice an early portion where the same thing happened and then shots in between these were ok?!?

13951642043_5052f8c435_b.jpg

13951645383_892bdf2167_o.jpg

13951647053_5a8a3ddca9_o.jpg

13928464966_68f58406dd_o.jpg

ndP2nG

Last edited:
Are your right down at 2.8? It's always gonna be the softest part of the lens really. Might benefit from a micro adjustment.
Images are nice none the less.

Usually have it at 2.8 but it does seem to go through periods of softness and then goes sharp again! Used it for a formal shoot at Christmas with the studio lights and even at f8 I couldn't get it to behave! It was really bad!! Thanks for the comments!

#2 & #3 for me. Maybe a bit more processing on 2 - vignette maybe?

Can't understand your comment re 'shutter speed high as was ISO'. Why would you need a high shutter speed (which would push up ISO)?

#2 & #3 for me. Maybe a bit more processing on 2 - vignette maybe?

Can't understand your comment re 'shutter speed high as was ISO'. Why would you need a high shutter speed (which would push up ISO)?
Sorry about that - didnt explain myself sufficiently! The shutter speed was high enough to not be the cause of the blur - Just mentioned the ISO in case the low light could be the cause of focus problems.

Really like image 2 myself - might have another wee look at it! Many thanks

Nice set. Which version of the Sigma? They have notoriously dodgy autofocus.

Same one I had. Nope, not that I can tell. I never had a Sigma lens that focussed accurately with any degree of consistency with any of my Nikon bodies. D90, D300, D700 and D3 - all combos were disappointing.

Rick I like them especially 2 & 3 & especially the PP on these (y)

However I see too much of a blue in the other two especially the first :thinking:

Thank you all for your comments.

Daydreamer- the blue is deliberate in no.1 just to give a cool feel to it. The last one just has a very strong vibrancy setting so everything is a bit bold.

Just playing as round with PP to see what works best really so all comments are greatly valued.

I don't particularly care for the pose in number 4, but I think the first three are superb. I really like how her toe is just dipping into the water in number one, how she pos in number two and the feel of number three is very nice.

Same one I had. Nope, not that I can tell. I never had a Sigma lens that focussed accurately with any degree of consistency with any of my Nikon bodies. D90, D300, D700 and D3 - all combos were disappointing.

Just to follow up on the lens issue.

Sigma rang me to say they found inconsistencies especially at 70 mm where the whole image was soft. It's being sent to Japan for an overhaul and won't be back for 6-8 weeks!! It better be perfect after that! :)

Just to follow up on the lens issue.

Sigma rang me to say they found inconsistencies especially at 70 mm where the whole image was soft. It's being sent to Japan for an overhaul and won't be back for 6-8 weeks!! It better be perfect after that! :)
Good luck!

Back