Forlorn chapel

Name
Matt
Edit My Images
Yes
Took this on the weekend. An abandoned, but beautiful looking chapel, just waiting to photographed:

Comments & criticism please.

Thanks for the comments. What do you mean re-converging? I will have a play around and try and improve the image I think.

My first thought on seeing this was that the whole building was stunted. The columns are very thick at the base, and are also very short - or at least, that's the effect given by the perspective. Most church architecture was designed to appear to be soaring to the heavens; and as this appears in many ways to be a traditional style of building from the windows and aisles, I come away with the impression that the photograph is not just not reflecting the character of the building but actively working against it.

The effect of an extreme wide angle lens (I checked on flickr and it was taken using an 11mm lens on a cropped sensor) is always greatest on the nearest objects, as seen by the nearest pillars sloping excessively whilst the further ones appear almost upright - at least by comparison with the near ones. This gives an even more distorted impression of the building.

The symmetrical structure seems to invite contemplation straight down the centre to the cross. The line of the lighter walls below the windows carry the eye round to this central point. What a pity then that the bright lights from a window (?) on the extreme right hand side lead the eye straight to the edge; and a similar but smaller light drags the eye to the left hand side.

The other very obvious feature is the bright reflection from the right hand lower window under the cross on the shiny floor. There are other reflections, but this one is especially eye catching.

The symmetry is also disturbed by the wall painting on the left hand side, which contrasts with the plainer right hand side.

My overall impression is of an image that should be clean and simple, with obvious symmetrical elements and everything arranged to draw the eyes around the image by the frieze and finally end up on the central cross. But this impression is confounded by the lights left and right, the painting and the reflection.

If the cross is to be the centre of attraction, it's a pity that the stained glass windows to either side are burned out.

My first thought on seeing this was that the whole building was stunted. The columns are very thick at the base, and are also very short - or at least, that's the effect given by the perspective. Most church architecture was designed to appear to be soaring to the heavens; and as this appears in many ways to be a traditional style of building from the windows and aisles, I come away with the impression that the photograph is not just not reflecting the character of the building but actively working against it.

The effect of an extreme wide angle lens (I checked on flickr and it was taken using an 11mm lens on a cropped sensor) is always greatest on the nearest objects, as seen by the nearest pillars sloping excessively whilst the further ones appear almost upright - at least by comparison with the near ones. This gives an even more distorted impression of the building.

The symmetrical structure seems to invite contemplation straight down the centre to the cross. The line of the lighter walls below the windows carry the eye round to this central point. What a pity then that the bright lights from a window (?) on the extreme right hand side lead the eye straight to the edge; and a similar but smaller light drags the eye to the left hand side.

The other very obvious feature is the bright reflection from the right hand lower window under the cross on the shiny floor. There are other reflections, but this one is especially eye catching.

The symmetry is also disturbed by the wall painting on the left hand side, which contrasts with the plainer right hand side.

My overall impression is of an image that should be clean and simple, with obvious symmetrical elements and everything arranged to draw the eyes around the image by the frieze and finally end up on the central cross. But this impression is confounded by the lights left and right, the painting and the reflection.

If the cross is to be the centre of attraction, it's a pity that the stained glass windows to either side are burned out.

Thanks for your input, it's much appeciated. I took some shots with a lowershutter speed but the bright day outside compared with the darker interior didn't help. I will work on this image to try and improve it. Thanks again for your input.

Btw. The cross has actually been removed, that's just what is lust behind. Like I said, this chapel is not in use anymore.

Took this on the weekend. An abandoned, but beautiful looking chapel, just waiting to photographed:

Comments & criticism please.

has a timeless feel of methodism fading out, but judging a bit by the architecture and iconography its i think roman catholic or greek orthodox colour wise...??...did you find out?
the perspectives are ok for inside and wide angle
the lighting is ok for the range of ambient to shadow

i am afraid that is all that i can say
cheers
geof

Last edited:
has a timeless feel of methodism fading out, but judging a bit by the architecture and iconography its i think roman catholic or greek orthodox colour wise...??...did you find out?
the perspectives are ok for inside and wide angle
the lighting is ok for the range of ambient to shadow

i am afraid that is all that i can say
cheers
geof

Thanks for your input. I believe it was Roman Catholic. Whoever Saint Joseph is associated with.

Thanks for your input. I believe it was Roman Catholic. Whoever Saint Joseph is associated with.

:cool:

saint joseph is associated mainly with the christian church in general and if in plaster mode, roman catholic and various other roman rooted congregations

he was the alleged father of jesus and wasnt at the crucifixtion.

cheers
geof

Back