1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. ACW

ACW

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I'm sure egg shots have probably been done to death but I had a few spare hours with nothing to do and the s9600 was feeling neglected.

I know composition could do with improving, please give me some pointers. But it's the lighting I would really like some crit on. I'm still trying to get used to it all.

[​IMG]
    Untitled by ACW#, on Flickr

[​IMG]

Then a random apple lighting shot:

[​IMG]

and the set up I was using for them. They were all on minimum power, and the softboxes had an extra diffusing layer inside them.

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance!
  2. hilla

hilla

Edit My Images:
    No
    like this alot. the 1st one is great. the green colour doesn't do it for me.
  3. MWHCVT

MWHCVT Advertiser

Name:
    Matthew
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I'm really not sure about this :thinking: I love the idea of this (y) but the colours used just don't seem to fit in :thinking: I would have liked to see a nice egg yoke yellow somehow that would have fitted in a lot better (y)

The colours on this apple seem a little off, it seems a little dull or flat, I think it needs a good boost in saturation to really make it come alive :thinking:

Serious set it though (y) that's a lot of light for this little still life (y)

Matt
    MWHCVT
  4. tom88jerry

tom88jerry

Name:
    Shih Chieh Lai
    Edit My Images:
    No
    I do love the first pic and agree with MWHCVT for trying a egg yoke yellow
  5. ACW

ACW

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Thanks for the comments :) , had I had a choice of colours I would have wanted to do a yellow and a blue. Unfortunately all I had was red, green and black food colouring, mixed with a bit of water, glycerin (to try and make it shiny) and flour.

I did try using the actual egg yolk but it wasn't yellow enough when spread out and had a horrible film over it which reflected the flash.

Ideally I wanted to use a nice glossy paint to get a better sheen on the goo stuff, but I didn't want to go out to the shops so decieded I'd have to make do, next time I'm going to try it that way though.

and I'll try giving the apple a bit of a boost later when I get to the computer, I know what you mean though, it lacks punch.
  6. Digitall

Digitall

Name:
    Allan
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I love the lighting set up and agree with Matt on the colors, I also think yellow would suit better. I you do this again, then get Crayola kids paint (Amazon). It's acrylic and mixes with water very well, I use it all the time for my paint sculptures.
  7. Just Dave

Just Dave Strange

Name:
    Dave
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Nice Adam, agree yellow would be good and wow that is a lot of lighting, but great idea and well shot (y)
  8. ACW

ACW

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Thanks for the tip, il give that a try, I think I've used that for painting things before and it should photograph nicely when wet.
  9. ACW

ACW

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Is the lighting too much? I'm after some tips for a better set up too if anyone has any?
  10. SarahLee

SarahLee They see me rollin' They hatin' Staff Member

Name:
    Sarah
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Composition-wise I think the first one is absolutely spot-on and is a lot stronger than the second one. A very creative idea that works very well for me.

As far as lighting goes, I'm no expert, but I think you've got it completely right for the egg shots. Just the right amount of reflection on the coloured goop to stop it looking flat and a nice matt finish on the egg shells.

The apple is left looking a little flat to me though. I think you could have done with slightly harder light in this instance to bring out some of the texture in the skin and add a little reflection to it.
  11. dade_f

dade_f

Name:
    Dade
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Ooooh I like it! I agree with Sarah - the first shot is cracking ;)
  12. ACW

ACW

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Thanks for the comments :) that's the composition I'll use tomorrow when I rest tempt it with yellow. Thinking about using a black background with the yellow paint, really not sure how to light it?

What's the best light absorbing black? Apart from material as I think that will be very messy...maybe glossy black card?
  13. SarahLee

SarahLee They see me rollin' They hatin' Staff Member

Name:
    Sarah
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Glossy card will reflect the light back, you really need a matt surface if you want it to absorb light.
    As you said fabric will be messy, but maybe some matt black paper?
  14. MWHCVT

MWHCVT Advertiser

Name:
    Matthew
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    For all mine that you see on a black background I use an A1 sheet of black mount card and find that very good (y) I the knobs on the cooker to hold it in place as I curve the card up the wall to make a small infinity wall style set up (y)

Matt
  15. ACW

ACW

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Good point, should have thought that about the glossy paper, and I've found some very matt black card, so look fowards to trying that.

And I want to try and get it into an infinity curve but I don't think it's going to be long enough, I'm going to have to PP the line where I improvise and cellotape the two sides together!
  16. GHP

GHP

Name:
    Gary
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    For a nice matt background, you could try painting a sheet of plastic or acrylic with blackboard paint, that way it would be wipe-able too.
  17. Granarystudio

Granarystudio

Name:
    Neil
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Great idea love the first pic
  18. Kav

Kav

Edit My Images:
    No
    EGGstreamily cool! ; )
  19. HWest

HWest

Name:
    Tony
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    FWIW, I like the red. But then I likes me a bit o' gore.
  20. mattd85

mattd85

Name:
    Matt
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I like the egg shots, I was thinking about having a try at this myself.

Matt