Fuji lens advice

Name
Scott
Edit My Images
Yes
Right i've finally bought the XE1 and 18-55 and i will claim the free 55-230 lens. Now my question is do i stick wih these two or sell both of them add a little money and purchase the 56mm portrait lens. Just so you know i mainly always shoot my son either moving around or sitting at peace. I'm not sure if there is a difference in focus speed between these lens but i'm thinking that the f1.2 will be very handy for indoors.

Any advice? I can't really afford to upgrade to the XE2 and the 56mm so it's either of the combos above or i suppose an XE2 and 18-55.

By the way they've not arrived yet due some dodgy advertising on a well known retailers site. 2-3 days quickly turned into around 10 days !!

Last edited:
The 18-55 must not be regarded as a 'kit lens', it really is very good, and has OIS. The 50-230 is also pretty good, Fuji don't make a bad lens, but neither will give you f1.2, but the 56mm does not have OIS

Its a bit swings and roundabouts and the X-E1 is slower than the XE-2

My advice would be to keep your wallet firmly closed, get used to the Fuji with the 18-55 and make a considered decision in a few months time.

:agree: The 56mm will be very restricting for use indoor.

Another way to go is try both theses lens,if you can't get on with them an 23mm & 35mm would be a good place to start :)

Agree with the above. I own the 56mm and it can be very restricting indoors. I would recommend the 23mm or 35mm. Very sharp and will give you f1.4

Think about which lenses you'd like to own in two or three years time, and try to only buy the "keepers" and not temporary "stepping stone" lenses.

As already mentioned, Fuji don't make any bad lenses - they're all "very good" or "excellent". The 18-55mm has a very good reputation (I haven't used it myself).

Think about which lenses you'd like to own in two or three years time, and try to only buy the "keepers" and not temporary "stepping stone" lenses..

Very good advice.

If I were you Id opt for the 35mm, 56 is to long for (most) indoors unless you are mainly shooting waist up. The 23 is a bit to wide imo unless you are doing environmental portraits. I have and love them all though tbh, each a stellar performer.

If I were you Id opt for the 35mm, 56 is to long for (most) indoors unless you are mainly shooting waist up. The 23 is a bit to wide imo unless you are doing environmental portraits. I have and love them all though tbh, each a stellar performer.

The thing is, it's all very personal opinion.. my own target line-up is 14/23/56/55-200mm. I have the 35mm and it's a stunning lens - but I also have the 23mm and managed very well using it pretty much exclusively on holiday this summer. I certainly never reached for the 35mm as the alternative lens to switch to.

The 18-55/55-230mm is an excellent combination to start out with. It's easy to think you need to have a fast prime, and forget that the Fuji sensor has an outstanding high ISO performance.

I recently bought the 27mm 2.8 pancake and think its a great addition to my small collection, being the kit lens and 55-230, the pancake lens makes the camera very compact :)

I'm not sure how restrictive the 56 would be for a two year old. He's pretty small and he won't really fill the frame unless I'm very close. Some excellent advice though. I'll check out the price of the 35 on here.

I repeat:-

My advice would be to keep your wallet firmly closed, get used to the Fuji with the 18-55 and make a considered decision in a few months time.

Unlike some, I rarely use the 35mm, and find that I get far more 'keepers' with the 18-55 zoom, on an X-E1 the 35mm is slow to focus, and I miss many shots and a highly mobile 2 year old will be a challenge!! In fact I so rarely use the 35mm, that its the only lens I regularly leave in the house, I may be the odd one out here but I'm only saying it the way I see it.

Back