Fuji X-E1/X-E2/X-E2S/X-E3 Owners Thread

I've read all this panic about Fuji RAW online with some bemusement.

I did have a go with PN with my X-Pro 1 files and it was good. I didn't think it was worth the dislocation to my normal workflow in LR5 though. I found it much much less pleasant to use and thought it was quite cumbersome in fact.

I was able to get perfectly good results from LR5 and unless you want to examine everything you shoot at 100% and examine your background foliage then I'd just use whatever you prefer and be happy. I was using it to take pictures of people who were more interested in the picture rather than finding out if there might be a problem with some background vegetation which seems to be the usual complaint made.

I know a few togs using the combination of LR and Fuji and doing quite well with it. They take pictures and make money rather than spending their time on the internet analysing pixels though ;)

Last edited:
I know a few togs using the combination of LR and Fuji and doing quite well with it. They take pictures and make money rather than spending their time on the internet analysing pixels though ;)

If people want to get the best out of their images thats up to them. Why spend thousands of pounds on equipment if you get let down at the PP stage. And Im sure people who maximise quality from their cameras/software and have high standards are also making money from photography. ;)

Last edited:
If people want to get the best out of their images thats up to them. Why spend thousands of pounds on equipment if you get let down at the PP stage. And Im sure people who maximise quality from their cameras/software and have high standards are also making money from photography. ;)

You're making an assumption here, that somehow or another the PP is inadequate using a particular piece of software and is "letting down" the camera. It hasn't been my experience. Obviously if it's been yours then you must seek out something better. I suspect many might find that they spend more time searching for this technical holy grail than they do producing pictures though. I'm not decrying those who do, because for them that is the pleasure they get from their camera, but it isn't the pleasure I get from photography.

You're making an assumption here, that somehow or another the PP is inadequate using a particular piece of software and is "letting down" the camera. It hasn't been my experience. Obviously if it's been yours then you must seek out something better. I suspect many might find that they spend more time searching for this technical holy grail than they do producing pictures though. I'm not decrying those who do, because for them that is the pleasure they get from their camera, but it isn't the pleasure I get from photography.

Why do I need to make an assumption, reviews point out that LR doesnt handle RAWs as well as other software does when it comes to fine detail. I just thought that because you specifically mentioned people making money from photography you were suggesting that people that do 'pixel peep' waste time by doing so instead of taking photos.

No. If people want to pixel peep then I say let them carry on. I don't rate it as a pastime but each to their own. I know the internet is awash with reviews of one thing and another and some have said that LR's processing of Fuji Trans files isn't as good as that by PN and others. I'm not sure how many have stated that it lets the camera down though. All processors are different but most photographers are able to get perfectly good results from LR and Fuji. Have you found this to be an issue in your experience?

To be totally honest, I like a good pixel peep every now and again and I hadn't noticed any issues with Lightroom rendering until articles like the above appeared. On reading through it and digesting all the information, I'm still not sure if there's much of an issue other than you have to be careful not to sharpen too much. Granted I've only tried Lightroom and Photo Ninja, but I personally found that LR gave the better output and is a more useful product to use overall.

One thing I can see with confidence though is that the Fuji JPG engine is superb! I don't like relying on JPG output (I'm not careful enough with my shooting) but the output is fantastic.

Last edited:
No. If people want to pixel peep then I say let them carry on. I don't rate it as a pastime but each to their own. I know the internet is awash with reviews of one thing and another and some have said that LR's processing of Fuji Trans files isn't as good as that by PN and others. I'm not sure how many have stated that it lets the camera down though. All processors are different but most photographers are able to get perfectly good results from LR and Fuji. Have you found this to be an issue in your experience?

Nope. I shoot jpg, mainly because they are so damn good but also because i really like lr workflow, i was only playing devils advocate.

well im not going to be guilt tripped into using something other than LR. I havnt found anything yet that has its image management setup so im more than happy to take a slight, barely perceivable, hit in final image quality over the hassle of cataloging x1000 images.

On a side note, has anyone got one of these , or something similar
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Manfrotto-293-Telephoto-Lens-Support/dp/B001HFK1IS

I got an adapter for my Nikon lenses but they weigh a tonne. If i put the camera on a tripod there will be too much load on the mount i think so have been trying to find a universal lens mount ring. This is the closes ive found.

Last edited:
LOL fair enough, Twist. TBH I tend to use jpegs from the Fuji too because, as you say, they are brilliant. They save you a bag of time if you're going through a big project and I couldn't produce much better from RAW either :)

I agree about LR being the most useful product and I won't be switching to anything else unless something a bit more dramatic changes in the future

Last edited:
Just picked up an x-e2 for £365 from the refurb shop. Was aiming for the xt1 but funds just wouldnt allow and nobody wanted my x-e1.

Just picked up an x-e2 for £365 from the refurb shop. Was aiming for the xt1 but funds just wouldnt allow and nobody wanted my x-e1.

Still two black X-E2 refurb bodies at the red price special if anyone missed the last two batches.. ..

do the fuji offers apply to refurb shop lens's and bodys?

No, but the refurb body is cheaper than the current promotion with cashback.

And if you bought new lenses seperately they would qualify for the lens cashback deals.

Last edited:
Yeah , already got an xe-2 though, bit annoyed as i didnt think of the refurb place and would of saved a good chunk of change.

Yeah , already got an xe-2 though, bit annoyed as i didnt think of the refurb place and would of saved a good chunk of change.
The red price specials sell out quick, but the pattern seems to be that Fuji restocks the refurb shop every 2 or 3 weeks.. usually around lunchtime on a Thursday/Friday.

- must have been today this week, because I remember looking at the refurbed 56/1.2 last night and it was out-of-stock

Last edited:

I did the same 2 weeks ago with the last refurb batch :), absolute bargain for £365, ordered mine with cheap postage on the Wednesday.. arrived on the Friday ! :)

well im not going to be guilt tripped into using something other than LR. I havnt found anything yet that has its image management setup so im more than happy to take a slight, barely perceivable, hit in final image quality over the hassle of cataloging x1000 images.

You want to be careful mentioning the word x1000 on a Fuji thread - you'll start some rumours :D

One from yesterday with my 35mm that has become shamefully under used since getting the 23mm!

15259010130_836eba4e79_c.jpg

www.flickr.com/adamjacksonphotography

I'm looking for advice please.....
I bought the XE1 in March and had problems with the contacts on the 18-55 kit lens. On swapping lenses the camera would not read the 18-55 so it went back to Fuji and the contact mount/ring whatever you call it was changed. Now after a recent trip away (I only use my Fuji for travel) the same problem occurred on swapping lenses and replacing the 18-55. On cleaning the contacts with an alcohol wipe it did the trick but I shouldn't have to do this. I'm very careful when swapping lenses in a "clean" environment before you ask ;) So where do I stand with Fuji? I'm just not happy with this. Has it been a problem with any of you owners?

Never had that problem, but as its still under warranty contact them and get it dealt with

I'll do some testing, I was also turning camera on/off between shots etc.. so may not have helped ?
Well after a full battery charge, I managed to get 180 photos before flat battery in HP mode, shooting with IOS and RAW, so better than the 50 I first thought, i'll test with just primes next (no IOS), as I can imagine stabilisation uses a far bit of battery juice !

Well after a full battery charge, I managed to get 180 photos before flat battery in HP mode, shooting with IOS and RAW, so better than the 50 I first thought, i'll test with just primes next (no IOS), as I can imagine stabilisation uses a far bit of battery juice !

Has your new battery arrived yet? if so how many shots are you getting from that?.

As previously mentioned I'm getting over the 400 mark with OIS and HP, but I shot in JPEG on the XT. You wouldn't think the write times would be that much slower for RAW and consume that much more energy (I know the files are usually bigger, but you wouldn't think it would go on write times being that much slower?), will be interesting to see what you get from the Xpro battery.

With my new X-e2 on its way i decided to take my X-e1 out for possibly its last outing for a while to Victoria Baths in Manchester. Turned it on and was met with a horrible grinding noise. Turned it off/on and the noise was still there. Replaced the battery and it seemed ok for a while but then started again. It will be on its way back to Fuji asap as its still in warranty.

Has your new battery arrived yet? if so how many shots are you getting from that?.

As previously mentioned I'm getting over the 400 mark with OIS and HP, but I shot in JPEG on the XT. You wouldn't think the write times would be that much slower for RAW and consume that much more energy (I know the files are usually bigger, but you wouldn't think it would go on write times being that much slower?), will be interesting to see what you get from the Xpro battery.
Should have it Monday, so will try new battery :)

With my new X-e2 on its way i decided to take my X-e1 out for possibly its last outing for a while to Victoria Baths in Manchester. Turned it on and was met with a horrible grinding noise. Turned it off/on and the noise was still there. Replaced the battery and it seemed ok for a while but then started again. It will be on its way back to Fuji asap as its still in warranty.

Doesn't sound to good,my XE-2 had to go back a couple of,but very quick turnaround from Fuji :)

Had my XE-2 about a week now, my my it is so different yet so similar to my X100. There's the instant familiar feeling wit the controls when looking through the EVF, I just know where to reach and what to press without looking, but the sound, the way it feels, the output - it's all so different.

Hard to compare the 23mm with the 18-55mm as well, they are both lovely lenses but force different types of shooting.

https://500px.com/photo/85285565/lights-camera-action-by-daniel-robertson
2048.jpg

https://500px.com/photo/85193757/cairn-o'-mount-by-daniel-robertson
2048.jpg

My intended line-up that I'm working towards is 14/23/56/55-200 which is near-enough the same line-up you mention. It seems a logical collection of lenses to work well together. I might get a little closer to it this month with a trade for a 14mm.

Anyone shoot with these 3 Fuji lenses as their main lens line-up (?); 14mm - 23mm - 56mm

I currently own these Fuji lenses; 18mm - 35mm - 60mm - 55-200mm, but I quite fancy keeping things more simple and shooting with 3 (quality) lens choices as above for the likes of landscape photography, and generally most other photographic opportunities that may arise.

Any advice welcome, thanks.

Pete
(XP1)

Im using the 23, 35, 56. I wont use the 14mm FL at all so for me it would be a case of GAS if I bought it. From what Ive read and seen its superb and fits in well with Fujis other high quality primes. Id say go for it.

Back