Fuji X-E1/X-E2/X-E2S/X-E3 Owners Thread

Heading that way too, although as always I have difficulty parting with the other lenses. I might "need" the 18 or 35 at some point.

I've got the 14 and 56 and I'm still trying to convince myself not to get the 23mm as I have that covered with an X100S. If I was being really strict with myself and had to choose one camera and three lenses then the 14,23 &56 would be the three I chose.

If you fancy trying out the 14 or 56 Peter give me a shout. We could maybe choose a more interesting place to meet than the B&Q car park :D

Last edited:
Anyone shoot with these 3 Fuji lenses as their main lens line-up (?); 14mm - 23mm - 56mm

I currently own these Fuji lenses; 18mm - 35mm - 60mm - 55-200mm, but I quite fancy keeping things more simple and shooting with 3 (quality) lens choices as above for the likes of landscape photography, and generally most other photographic opportunities that may arise.

Any advice welcome, thanks.

Pete
(XP1)

I currently own the 14 / 23 / 35 / 60 & 55-200

By far my most used lens is the 23mm then probably the 14mm.
I've been shooting a lot of street recently and find those lenses the best for that.

I used the 35mm a lot more until I got the 23mm but would actually consider selling it now.

The 60mm really only gets a run out for specific macro shots.

The 55-200 is perhaps the least used but when I need it I NEED IT - as in you can get some kind of shot with all the other lenses but if you need to phootgraph something far away you need a longer focal length - even though it's my least used I would nt sell it as I know if I did the next day I'd need it. I'm surprised you are happy to part with yours.

Not sure why you say it simplifies things by reducing your lens line up - if you can afford to keep them...keep them....it gives you options....

The problem with all these lovely Fuji lens' is that I constantly have to tell myself that I don't need any more, currently have the 14, 23, 35 and 60. Quite often miss long reach, but never been a big fan of zooms... And the 56? Mmm don't get me started..
My most used though is the 23mm, after at first thinking that I wasn't getting on with it, I suddenly clicked with the focal length and it's glued to my camera these days..
Here's two taken with it on a recent trip to London, both at ISO 1600 and not much natural light!

15273659408_0358cfe08d_c.jpg

15460283575_ef99f8bb35_c.jpg

Adam

www.flickr.com/adamjacksonphotography

I think the clear message from this thread is don't even try the 23mm unless you're prepared to fall in love with it and buy one!

trouble with the 23 is that is so nice you wonder why you should spend x hundred on another lens that's only a few mm different, just walk back or forward to get what you want. BY the time you swapped over lenses you could of put yourself in the right position anyway.

Heres a couple from london yesterday lunchtime

Have started getting into MF, and have bought a few old lenses. I also have a few Canon EF lenses, and my favorite is the Canon 85mm 1.8, here's a photo of it on my X-E2 ! to be honest, it doesn't look that out of place, though a bit on the long side, but handling is great ! :).. I've also taken a photo of one of our boys playing with his Lego :), just love this lens, the colours, contrast, dreamy brokeh etc.. shot is straight out of the camera, with just a slight crop !

2014-10-11%2014.42.31.jpg

DSCF0914_crop.JPG

It took me a few weeks but finally got around to having another go with your image @kennysarmy

Looks a little over-sharpened to my eyes....jagged edges on the gravestones above the flowers - also you've lost a bit of detail in the shadows.

But processing is a very individual task and what suits one does not suit another :)

I'm thinking to use my Nikkor 14-24 f2.8 wide angle lens on my Fuji X-E1 body for some landscape shots by using an adapter. Carrying this lens plus a pro body size camera plus tripod is killing my back and arm. Just a bit worried if the body and adapter can support the weight of the lens + filters and holder when screwed on the camera tripod socket. Any ideas or suggestions on this one? Thanks!

I'm thinking to use my Nikkor 14-24 f2.8 wide angle lens on my Fuji X-E1 body for some landscape shots by using an adapter. Carrying this lens plus a pro body size camera plus tripod is killing my back and arm. Just a bit worried if the body and adapter can support the weight of the lens + filters and holder when screwed on the camera tripod socket. Any ideas or suggestions on this one? Thanks!

Can you get a tripod mount for the lens? Myself, I feel my XT1 holds and balances better with a heavy lens (1.4kgs) with the ballhead fitted to lens foot rather than the body. I use my Tokina 100-300mm f4 ATX lens, adapter and TC and it seems solid to me when using the lens foot. I find it's too front heavy when head is fitted to camera. I suppose the only way to find out, is to try and see how you get on.

Edit: I have an old tripod and head, modern ones maybe better, although my tripod/head is also rated for 8.5kgs

Last edited:
Can you get a tripod mount for the lens? Myself, I feel my XT1 holds and balances better with a heavy lens (1.4kgs) with the ballhead fitted to lens foot rather than the body. I use my Tokina 100-300mm f4 ATX lens, adapter and TC and it seems solid to me when using the lens foot. I find it's too front heavy when head is fitted to camera. I suppose the only way to find out, is to try and see how you get on.

Edit: I have an old tripod and head, modern ones maybe better, although my tripop/head is also rated for 8.5kgs

Hi Simon, my initial thought is finding a tripod foot/mount for the lens, had quick search on the internet, no luck :|

Really need your help guys...

I'm ditching my Canon 400d (fed up of trying to find a sharp/correct focusing 30mm/28mm prime and not using it enough to warrant 4 lenses)

Haven't tried a digital since my Ixus 120. After reading loads here (and working out I could get maybe £600 for all my Canon kit) I decided on the X-E2 and kit lens, I really want something small/light enough to take anywhere that works in low light. I mainly take shots of family/landscape not alot of moving stuff.

However, after breaking the £729 (after the £100 cashback) news to the missus, she basically told me that is too much to spend on a camera when I don't use it enough. And she is right grrrrrr!

So reluctantly, I'm now thinking of the X-E1 with kit lens. £579 seems much better on bank account. Then sell the Free Fuji 50-230mm XC Lens worth £349 (I have no idea what price I'll get for this)

Bottom line: It's all about IQ for me (i've seen some lovely shots here with the X-E1) and I was having to work too hard for it with the Canon. After reading bad things about the AF speed and EVF, I just want to know will I be happy with the X-E1 coming from the old Canon 400d? I know there is always bigger/better coming round the corner but I just want a decent camera that will take great pics (in bad light too) that I can actually take everywhere!

Appreciate any feedback...

Bottom line: It's all about IQ for me (i've seen some lovely shots here with the X-E1) and I was having to work too hard for it with the Canon. After reading bad things about the AF speed and EVF, I just want to know will I be happy with the X-E1 coming from the old Canon 400d? I know there is always bigger/better coming round the corner but I just want a decent camera that will take great pics (in bad light too) that I can actually take everywhere!

I went from the 40D to the X-Pro1 (and an X-E2) and I'm very happy with the Fuji X-series system. The X-E1 and X-Pro1 share most of the innards (sensor/processor) and the image quality is fantastic. The autofocus capabilties of the 1st generation bodies (-Pro1, -E1) won't set the world alight, but the do well enough.

I'm ditching my Canon 400d (fed up of trying to find a sharp/correct focusing 30mm/28mm prime and not using it enough to warrant 4 lenses)

Haven't tried a digital since my Ixus 120. After reading loads here (and working out I could get maybe £600 for all my Canon kit) I decided on the X-E2 and kit lens, I really want something small/light enough to take anywhere that works in low light. I mainly take shots of family/landscape not alot of moving stuff.

However, after breaking the £729 (after the £100 cashback) news to the missus, she basically told me that is too much to spend on a camera when I don't use it enough. And she is right grrrrrr!

So reluctantly, I'm now thinking of the X-E1 with kit lens. £579 seems much better on bank account. Then sell the Free Fuji 50-230mm XC Lens worth £349 (I have no idea what price I'll get for this)

Would you use the camera more, if it was producing sharp results? Tell the missus that youre only spending £129.00, as after selling your kit, getting cashback etc, the deal is about £129.00 out of your pocket, a lot less than what some compacts go for. It' the way you sell it to the missus;) You won't be disapointed with the IQ on either camera.

The XE2 will probably focus quicker, especially in low light, quicker refresh on EVF and - +3 Exposure Compensation, better LCD screen?. Thats about it. The XE1 is a bargain with the free lens which is a good performer, I have had this lens and the 55-200mm and IQ wise there's not much in it. Some of the guys who own both cameras will give you further advice when they see the thread. I have only owned the XE1, Xpro & XT1.

As for re-sale of 50-230 lens, I have been watching them on ebay lately and they have been going from £147 > £180 ish at auction, as new and un-used lens. I bought one @ £174.00 including delivery earlier in the year (feb 2014).

A couple of reviews below:
http://photographylife.com/fuji-x-e1-vs-x-e2
http://www.fujivsfuji.com/x-e1-vs-x-e2/

Last edited:

What sort of things do you like to photograph?

There are smaller cameras out there if you want something to carry with you all the time....

I compliment my Fuji with a little Panasonic LX7 but the new LX100 looks very interesting - might be a little pricey when it comes out but it's sure to drop.....

Silverfox - The X-E1 +18-55 is still fairly bulky and not really a go anywhere camera, its not pocketable. Also a Fuji camera won't immediately make every picture better than a 400D, I would suggest that you first look at your technique. I'm a real fan of the Fuji's (and have several), but if you are not getting decent pictures with the 400D, then changing camera won't help. In your situation I would just get out there and use the 400D for 2-4 weeks, take it everywhere, take lots of pictures, at the end of that period, you'll know whether you should be:-

a) Keeping the 400D and maybe get a wide aperture lens to help with low light.
b) changing the 400D for a Fuji X-E series
c) changing the 400D for something you can really put in your pocket Fuji XF1, Sony RX100, etc
d) change the 400D for something for a large pocket Fuji X20, X30, X100, X100S

The 400D is not a bad camera

And if you get out there and use it, then maybe your missus will be more favourable when you want to change.

You could put together a used X-E2 and kit lens package for quite a bit less than that in the classifieds on this forum and the FujiX forum.

Plus, definitely keep an eye on the Fuji refurb store (http://shop.fujifilm.co.uk/refurbished-digital-cameras?cat=113) for the X-E2 and X-E1 deals - and remember that PAYPAL12 gets you an extra 10% off any deal that includes a body or camera (but not lens-only deals).

If you stick with the 400D, I used a Sigma 30/1.4 for several years as my everyday, walkabout lens and it was a fantastic lens. Peopletalk about copy variation with Sigma lenses, but amongst their EX range lenses I doubt it's any different to copy variation amongst camera bodies. If you can get to a dealer like WEX you can always try a used lens on your body and give it a test before you buy.

Thanks for the awesome replies guys. A lot of sensible suggestions.

@swansea jack - That was exactly my thinking mate but at the end of the day £730 is still £730 on a camera.

@kennysarmy - I like to photograph anything - mainly my son/family shots but also like to get creative/take some landscape stuff when we go to say Box Hill. I don't really zoom too much, am happy to move around for zoom and maybe wider is used more. You help me realise a good point though, maybe I need something more mobile. However, the IQ needs to be good. Your 400d stuff is great btw!

@Mr Perceptive - Sobering words my friend. You are of course spot on and this is what I have been giving most thought last couple of days. Your point about the size of the x-e1 is very valid. The size of the kit lens has been a concern. I appreciate it's not always the tools but what the user can achieve with them. I've used the 400d for years, know how to use it and can get decent images. But recently I've gotten to really enjoy just taking a prime out and forcing myself to get good shots with it. I have the 50mm II which is cool but too narrow for indoor stuff. So I bought (£200) a 2nd hand Sigma 30mm 1.4. BRILLIANT in low light but over 6 foot distance it front focused horribly. Luckily I returned it. Then after worrying about getting another bad copy from Ebay I purchased the Canon 28mm 1.8 2nd hand. Doesn't even compare to the Sigma. Have to stop down to 2.8 just to get some sharpness. Friend asked me to take some shots as his wedding. I had to shoot everything at 2.2 @ 1000 ISO with the 28mm and the results... well, just average i'm afraid. maybe 5 keepers in 100 shots. That is when I decided I have had enough with this debacle. I don't shoot weddings often though. but I do like shooting in low light.

You know what, I think all your points have helped me realise: the best thing would be to have a solid, compact-ish camera that I can take everywhere, and works great in all lights, has a fairly big aperture for said light.

My whole reason to get the X-E2/X-E1 was future proofing my options with the changeable lenses (coming from a DSLR) but your point, Mr Perspective, regarding the x-E2 size not being much less bulkier is super valid. And now, after reading this review: http://www.kenrockwell.com/fuji/x100.htm#perf I wondering if this would be the perfect camera for me. Great images/small enough to take everywhere/great in all light. AND I can get it 2nd hand for roughly £359 from MPB (I haven't posted enough here to see the classified :(

Maybe I'll miss the changeable lenses in the future but I could always upgrade if I decide that the fixed focal length is hindering me! Feeling better about this now :) Right friendly bunch you are in this forum! :clap:

A little more thinking I think...

**Edit** @Alistair: haha see my section about the Siggy 30mm (a very heavy bit of kit ;)

Last edited:
Silverfox,

Another option is to get your desired body (xe 1or 2) but with the Fuji 35mm f1.4 lens, it's a fantastic lens. I have used this setup on the Xpro 1 and XT1 which I use for taking to the football, it's jacket pocketable. It also gives you the option of adding lenses if needed. Have a look at the links.

http://camerasize.com/compare/#258,493

http://j.mp/18uz2YI#sthash.Xjl3rkhK.dpuf

My whole reason to get the X-E2/X-E1 was future proofing my options with the changeable lenses (coming from a DSLR) but your point, Mr Perspective, regarding the x-E2 size not being much less bulkier is super valid. And now, after reading this review: http://www.kenrockwell.com/fuji/x100.htm#perf I wondering if this would be the perfect camera for me. Great images/small enough to take everywhere/great in all light. AND I can get it 2nd hand for roughly £359 from MPB (I haven't posted enough here to see the classified :(

I spent a year with an X100, before getting an X-E1 and X-E2, last week I got the X100 out and have been using it since, it's a great camera and really rekindles interest in photography. I'm half thinking of getting an X100T when they drop from their opening price, a selling on one of the X-E's and my existing X100.

Have look here to see what it can do https://www.flickr.com/photos/89667368@N05/sets/72157642911852834/

I spent a year with an X100, before getting an X-E1 and X-E2, last week I got the X100 out and have been using it since, it's a great camera and really rekindles interest in photography. I'm half thinking of getting an X100T when they drop from their opening price, a selling on one of the X-E's and my existing X100.

Have look here to see what it can do https://www.flickr.com/photos/89667368@N05/sets/72157642911852834/

Awesome shots! I've been looking around Flicker already ;)

I reckon this should fit my needs perfectly. I've been offered a X100 with 4 batteries/Lens hood/ used for £400. (plus it has already had the sticky blades repaired by Fuji) I guess that's a good price hey? ;)

Last edited:
Interested. What made you go back and enjoy the x100 more than an X-E1/2? I have both, still love the X100 with wide converter.

Interestingly, I've also noticed quite a few people buying into Fuji a few months ago, and subsequently selling up later on. The last sentence was a question as well as a statement :)

I'm not sure I enjoy the X100 more than the X-E1/X-E2 but its certainly a fun camera to use, and it makes you want to use it. I actually find working the a fixed lens improves my photography as I have to work harder!!

I could sell my X100, X-E1 and 27mm lens and that would put me a long way towards an X100S and a decent chunk towards an X100T, and it would still leave me with an X-E2, 8mm, 14mm, 35mm, 18-55mm and 50-230mm for days when I want to do 'proper' photography!!!

Interestingly, I've also noticed quite a few people buying into Fuji a few months ago, and subsequently selling up later on. The last sentence was a question as well as a statement :)

You'll always get that..

• Toe-dippers that try out whatever is the latest technology and move on to whatever comes next
  • Serial system changers that change camera every 18-24 months anyway and think nothing of swapping between manufacturers
  • Fuji upgraders, moving from the first (X-E1, -Pro1) to second generation (X-E2, -T1) models or from the entry-level (X-A1, -M1) to the serious enthusiast models (X-E1/2, -T1, -Pro1)
The amount of secondhand Fuji X-series kit on the market is quite high because Fuji's aggressive discounting policy tempted a lot of people to dip their toe in and try out the system. But a lot of the secondhand kit is over-priced, Fuji have continued to be very forward with their discounting.

The question to ask is, how many people selling out of the Fuji system kept their previous system for more than 2 years?

Another option is buy an E2 body from fuji refurb and pick up the cheaper kit lens (16-50) for around £100 or so.. IQ is very very good for a kit lens, ands its slightly smaller, lighter and wider (optically) than the 18-55 ! :), greater starter kit for less than £500 !

Another option is buy an E2 body from fuji refurb and pick up the cheaper kit lens (16-50) for around £100 or so.. IQ is very very good for a kit lens, ands its slightly smaller, lighter and wider (optically) than the 18-55 ! :), greater starter kit for less than £500 !
You've got to be quick though, the X-E2s fairly fly out of the refurb store when they come in stock - not suprising at only £360 each!

Back