Fuji X-E1/X-E2/X-E2S/X-E3 Owners Thread

Decision made! I'm going with a 2nd hand X100.

Selling the 28mm Canon prime that I don't like and Sigma 17-70 zoom to cover the price of the X100 BUT keeping the 400d, 50mm (nifty 50) and Sigma 10-20mm so I have best of both worlds in case I ever need the DSLR!

Thought that was a good solution in the end! I looked at the refurbished X-E1 on Fuji and thought of buying a prime as some suggested but in all honesty, I'll probably end up going back down the "just buy another lens" road and I'm keen to get away from that for now. If I out grow the X100 in the future and I really start taking it more seriously, I'm sure I can pick up an X-E2 for even cheaper by then...

Thanks for all your comments guys. Can't wait to get the X100 and get out there!

You wont outgrow an X100, you may fancy a change of equipment, or to build on it, but the sensor has its own flavour that the purists would argue can't be found elsewhere. I'm not quite so sure, but I love my X100 and it gets a new lease of life with the wide or tele converters (I have the wide). Its an excellent camera that maybe falls short in some situations, otherwise if you know what you are getting, fixed lens and not cutting edge AF its great. My X-e2 would also be great if I hadn't just gone out street shooting, change of bag, no memory card! :)

You wont outgrow an X100, you may fancy a change of equipment, or to build on it, but the sensor has its own flavour that the purists would argue can't be found elsewhere. I'm not quite so sure, but I love my X100 and it gets a new lease of life with the wide or tele converters (I have the wide). Its an excellent camera that maybe falls short in some situations, otherwise if you know what you are getting, fixed lens and not cutting edge AF its great. My X-e2 would also be great if I hadn't just gone out street shooting, change of bag, no memory card! :)
Done that a few times! Maybe there's a market for a key-fob containing an emergency 8Gb SD card.. ..

Just keep a spare card in each of your bags. Even a 4gb card will get you out of trouble

I made the mistake once, and went and ordered extra cards and a spare battery for each of my other bags the next day so as not to repeat the mistake.

Used my E2 last night with the 35mm, was an evening wedding reception, so was quite dark. Got quite frustrated at times as af struggled quite a bit and ended up switching to manual focus as the camera would refuse to focus ! :-(.. increasing af window help a little, but was still surprised its failure to focus. . I'm pretty sure my x10 wouldn't have had problems as that seems to focus well in dark locations.

15684151311_5842da552f_c.jpg

Taken with my X-E1 + 14mm :)

Adam

Hiya love this. Can you give your settings for this shot

Karen

18-55mm lens at 34.3mm, f8, ISO200, 15 seconds
Camera mounted on Gorillapod on Railings!!
Lightly Processed in LR (from RAW) Highlights -24, Clarity +2, Sharpening 36, Detail 80

That's It!!!

Wanted some shots from the other side on the shoreline, but wet slippy rocks, and the dark meant I bottled it as I was on my own!!! Only up here for a meeting this morning, so unfortunately travelling back south later

David

Karen

18-55mm lens at 34.3mm, f8, ISO200, 15 seconds
Camera mounted on Gorillapod on Railings!!
Lightly Processed in LR (from RAW) Highlights -24, Clarity +2, Sharpening 36, Detail 80

That's It!!!

Wanted some shots from the other side on the shoreline, but wet slippy rocks, and the dark meant I bottled it as I was on my own!!! Only up here for a meeting this morning, so unfortunately travelling back south later

David
|thanks for that David. I took some a few years ago but must try to get some new ones now all coverings are off it. Ive no excuse its only 30 mins along the. road lol

Hirsch, catching the last warmth of the autumn sun..

X-E2, Rolleinar MC 85/2.8

macro mode, is this supposed to work with every lens? I only have the 23mm 1.4 at the moment but i put the camera in macro mode and it doesnt seem to make a blind bit of difference to how close i can focus to an object.

macro mode, is this supposed to work with every lens? I only have the 23mm 1.4 at the moment but i put the camera in macro mode and it doesnt seem to make a blind bit of difference to how close i can focus to an object.

I found that out,and bit odd :confused:

Macro mode on Fuji's works more as a clue to the AF. Basically you tell the camera that what you are shooting is quite close and it should achieve focus slightly faster this way. It will never change the minimum focus distance of a lens though.

just had a look a the manual pdf online and this is what it says
"The distances at which the camera will focus in macro mode vary with the lens, see lens manual for details"

The lens manual for the 23mm 1.4 says
Focus range, Normal 0.6m - Infinity; Macro 28cm - Infinity

So macro mode for the 23 is almost a foot!

Although late to the party I finally picked up a 35mm today. Jessops price matched the Currys 10% discount price and with the Fuji cashbback (and a £50 voucher for Jessops), all in it should cost me about £200 and I got to pick it up this morning.

Initial thoughts...

AF seems a good bit faster than the 18-55 although significantly noisier.

What's the fist thing you do with a fast prime? Stick it wide open and snap away. It's been a while since I last used a fast prime (that being the Canon nifty fifty) and you forget how slight the DOF can be at anything below 2.8.

I'll also miss OIS and it'll take a bit of getting used to but I'm blown away with the overall IQ of this lens.

One of the initial test shots...

1 (1 of 1) by moran.simon, on Flickr

Been trying to use my E2 with my flash photography gear today. I usually use my 5D, but decided to try my E2, but had no success. I setup the E2 like I would the 5D, 1/180sec, F7, ISO200, but even with the modelling lights on the evf was way to dark to focus, so had to revert back to my 5D. Am I doing anything wrong ? or do I have no choice but to use my 5D with my flash gear ?

Been trying to use my E2 with my flash photography gear today. I usually use my 5D, but decided to try my E2, but had no success. I setup the E2 like I would the 5D, 1/180sec, F7, ISO200, but even with the modelling lights on the evf was way to dark to focus, so had to revert back to my 5D. Am I doing anything wrong ? or do I have no choice but to use my 5D with my flash gear ?
Switch off Exposure Preview mode.

Back