The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

So, my first Fuji wedding on Saturday. Was nervous as hell having only EVER shot Nikon. One D3s and 35mm in the bag just in case but I didn't touch it all day. Took me a while to settle down and get into it, no bridal preps which was a huge pain as I could really have done with those to ease me in. My main concern was the AF system and the processional so I bottled it a bit but rather than take out the trusty Nikon I stuck the 18-55 on. Got the shots but due to the smaller aperture they looked a bit flat, was the only part of the day I wasn't happy with.

Got more confident as the day went on though and was VERY impressed at the focusing when it came to the first dance. The 56 is IMMENSE. I worried when I sold my 85 1.4 but this is just a ridiculously good lens. Even the X100s did me proud when I pulled it out all throughout the day, a lot of the ceremony was shot on that due to the totally silent shutter. Two weddings this weekend, if all goes well then and the following weekend I'll sell the remainder of my Nikon gear.

Processed the wedding a lot quicker too, less work needed on the Fuji files for this one and overall I'm very happy with the results and can't see any real noticeable difference from what I'd provide from shooting Nikon other than that processional. I actually prefer the B&W from the Fuji, so it's all happy days so far. Just hope it stays that way.

Pics!!!!!!

Very nice set. I m sure the bride and groom will be very happy.

I also sold my Nikon 85mm 1.4 G and hopefully will replace it soon with the 56mm 1.2 Fuji lens

It's superb. I'm not convinced that the 23 1.4 is anywhere near the Nikon 35 1.4 but the 56 is just fantastic.

It's superb. I'm not convinced that the 23 1.4 is anywhere near the Nikon 35 1.4 but the 56 is just fantastic.

I feel the same way but with the Sigma 35mm f1.4, I haven't sold my DSLR gear just yet... I might just downsize the 1Ds2 to a 5D3, rather than all the way to the X-T1.

Well, I sold my D700, just the lenses to go. I really hope Ive made the right decision as I always end up back with a DSLR after switching completely to CSC. D700 AF was quite a bit better than the XT1 but no point in having amazing AF if I can't be bothered to carry the camera, especially on holiday or in this heat!

While I was on hols it was interesting to watch peoples different reactions towards 'togs' using DSLRs VS CSCs, people would shy away or give 'dirty' looks to the DSLR users but not many people were bothered by the CSC/compact crowd. Its definitely a major plus and I never felt intimidated at all with my EM10 and it definitely allowed me to get shots I wouldn't have been able to. Had I chosen to use my D700 and large primes Im not sure I would've felt that comfortable so it lived in the safe.

Last edited:
The biggest issue I have is the d-pad and changing AF points quickly. I'm going to try adding height to the buttons to see if it improves... :)

I don't mind the buttons so much, I hate the fact I need to press a button, then press it again to choose a point, why the hell can't they just make it like a normal D pad where a single button press in ANY direction activates and moves my points. :mad:

I don't mind the buttons so much, I hate the fact I need to press a button, then press it again to choose a point, why the hell can't they just make it like a normal D pad where a single button press in ANY direction activates and moves my points. :mad:

I'm glad it's not like that! Hated it on the S3, however it would be nice if it were a D pad to choose after pressing a button to activate the choice. Finding out at the critical; moment my AF point has moved to the ground because I've accidentally pressed the D pad is very annoying on an S3!

I actually find my D pad buttons fine on my XT1, however I wish the Focus assist button was a bit more pronounced, I keep missing it and getting the AEL button! (Or it'd be nice to be able to reprogram the AEL button to focus assist instead, since a half press does the same job as AEL anyway).

I'm glad I'm not the only one! At least on the XT it's only a couple of button presses whereas on my DSLRs I have to unlock the focus point selector pad, select the point I want the relock the pad.

A couple of my two from sports day, albeit reduced resolution grabs from Facebook. Perfect opportunity to test the AF-C. Missed loads but got equally as many.

Love this lens.

Well, I sold my D700, just the lenses to go. I really hope Ive made the right decision as I always end up back with a DSLR after switching completely to CSC. D700 AF was quite a bit better than the XT1 but no point in having amazing AF if I can't be bothered to carry the camera, especially on holiday or in this heat!

While I was on hols it was interesting to watch peoples different reactions towards 'togs' using DSLRs VS CSCs, people would shy away or give 'dirty' looks to the DSLR users but not many people were bothered by the CSC/compact crowd. Its definitely a major plus and I never felt intimidated at all with my EM10 and it definitely allowed me to get shots I wouldn't have been able to. Had I chosen to use my D700 and large primes Im not sure I would've felt that comfortable so it lived in the safe.

I sold my D800 and kept the XT1. Been few month now and never regret it. I hope you get the same experience.

After owning the NEX6, I thought that I won't be touching another CSC again but the XT1 IMHO is just way better.

Sometimes i find it just as quick to focus then recompose :)

Depends on the situation, of course, but I was on a course with Damien Lovegrove and he was strongly urging us to be careful with focus-recompose with Fujis since the lenses are flat field so if the subject is far off the centre of the frame focus can be way out after recomposing. The up-side is that the focus points on fuji cover the frame and are all pretty accurate.

Personally, I have relied on focus-recompose and not noticed too many problems but I tend to shot with tele lenses and at a decent working distance.

Depends on the situation, of course, but I was on a course with Damien Lovegrove and he was strongly urging us to be careful with focus-recompose with Fujis since the lenses are flat field so if the subject is far off the centre of the frame focus can be way out after recomposing. The up-side is that the focus points on fuji cover the frame and are all pretty accurate.

Personally, I have relied on focus-recompose and not noticed too many problems but I tend to shot with tele lenses and at a decent working distance.

Not come across the problem so far,i mainly use the 18-55mm and its mainly at the tele end i use this method,at the wide angle the dof mainly cover my focusing :)

Last edited:
Traveling to Kos next week, traveling extremely lightly just taking the X-T1, mini - flash, 18-55mm, 10-24mm, travel pod, cable release and polariser. Blower and cleaning cloth. Think that's the minimum I can get away with, I thought I soul leave my primes at home it's a holiday after all :)

Sometimes i find it just as quick to focus then recompose :)

To slow to recompose my subject in its frame especially when its moving erratically and i want to change composition quickly. F&R isnt a major issue at f4 but when trying to get the point over eyes at f1.2 its a different story.

Last edited:
Some quick snap shots of the dog with a Vivitar 100-300mm f5. Almost caught a butterfly on shed door, bugger flew off as I was getting closer. Pleased with these considering the age and cost of this legacy lens.

To slow to recompose my subject in its frame especially when its moving erratically and i want to change composition quickly. F&R isnt a major issue at f4 but when trying to get the point over eyes at f1.2 its a different story.

Always going to be hard to hit the eyes with an erratically moving subject,i was at the beach a few weeks ago so i tested the AF on my XE-2 with seagulls just flying above my head,my D700 would lock on very quickly but the XE-2 not so great,luckily i dont take a lot of photos of subjects that need a large aperture and are moving erratically.

:)

I'm thinking if I can borrow the money off someone, of getting the xt1 with the 10-24 for shooting out and about, and keeping my 5d mk1 (eventually upgrading that to mk3) for my studio work, as I suffer a bad back, and a problem with my knees and feet and find the dslr far to heavy to carry around, would the photos be roughly the same quality, as I've not really dabbled in the mirrorless market before?

The X-T1 and 10-24 combination will give you excellent results, as good as if not better than your 5d classic and probably better than a "Dog Shidt" lens too ;)

I would like a 5D mk 3 for my studio and the work I do in there but I just cannot afford it I can't afford the xt but I can borrow the money for that and with my ailing body it would save on the strain but I saw the 14mm. Lens which also looks amazing, for landscapes, but the. I read it's not great for portrait, but I do a lot of horror and cos play where the slight bend In the lens makes the actor/model pop out aha but I don't think it would be great for glamour

And. My 5d is nearly 9 years old, she's an old girl.

Last edited:
I was thinking of buying a fuji adapter for the dog schidt, if one exists

I assume that Schidt make all of their lenses with Canon/Nikon mounts, you can just get (in your case) a Canon to X mount adaptor but you lose any electrical control between the camera and the lens so lens needs to have manual aperture and focus controls.

Dilly, I have an X-T1 and a Nikon D700. Both totally different animals and both capable of producing excellent prints up to at least A3+. Personally, I tend to have the 55-200 on the X-T1 with the 18-55 on the X-Pro1 but the 10-24 is usually about my person.

Does anyone know please where the £250 off voucher for the 18-135mm can be used, presumably UK Fuji Dealers and select online retailers or perhaps just from Fuji direct

Also wondering whether it will be 250 quid off on the day or send in for rebate, guessing the former as they say "voucher" in their email

Thanks
Rich

Even the dealers don't know how it's going to be done! I'm expecting a voucher but will take it however it comes.

Does anyone know please where the £250 off voucher for the 18-135mm can be used, presumably UK Fuji Dealers and select online retailers or perhaps just from Fuji direct

Also wondering whether it will be 250 quid off on the day or send in for rebate, guessing the former as they say "voucher" in their email

Thanks
Rich

Been trying to find out myself everybody think it will be voucher in an e.mail,but Fuji have yet to confirm this.

Just been doing a little surfing to see what news I could find on the 18-135. Best I could find was the Amazon.com site which suggests a 30/7/14 (or should that be 07/30/14?!) release date. http://www.amazon.com/Fujifilm-XF-F3-5-5-6-OIS-WR/dp/B00KZHOYSW Being the USA version, no mention of the £250 voucher. $899 price tag in the USA so the £750 SRP less the £250 voucher doesn't seem too bad, especially if you go for the Devon Camera Centre pre-order deal at £699.99. https://www.devoncamera.co.uk/index.cfm/product/fujinon-xf18-135mm-f3-5-5-6-r-lm-ois-wr-9584 (No personal connection with DCC, just think it's a good deal and the shop's a valuable asset to all photographers in the South West!)

Amazon UK are saying 1st August, maybe the voucher expiry date will be extended?

Back