The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

It's a Nikon mount Sigma 300mm apo f4, bought in '95 from the receipt that was still in the case. I haven't used it a great deal yet, MF wide open at f4 is fun! It looks like it flares a fair bit when shooting towards the sun, so I'm not sure if it's going to be any good for an airshow, but I'm going to give it a try. It cost £55.

Edit, I should add that the Sigma shots above were taken through dirty double glazing, every time I carefully open the window to get a clear shot the poxy cat jumps up and out through the window and scares the birds away! :D

What do you need to attach that to an x-t1? Great shots considering they were taken through a window!

I guess the whole FF vs Crop sensor debate will always rage on, but camera's like the Sony A7 & Fuji X-T1 have one thing is common... they are eating away at DSLR sales.
Mirrorless is the way forward in my opinion for everything bar professional high critical AF tracking work.
Give it another 1-2 years and they will be as fast if not faster than the Pro DSLR's. :)

The key thing for me is the overall size, look at the size of the Fuji 35mm against the size of the Sony 55mm. The smaller crop sensor allows for smaller glass.

I'm keeping my good old 1Ds2 for my full frame kicks :)

The key thing for me is the overall size, look at the size of the Fuji 35mm against the size of the Sony 55mm. The smaller crop sensor allows for smaller glass.

I'm keeping my good old 1Ds2 for my full frame kicks :)

I agree that size sometimes plays a big part when individuals look for a new camera setup.
I moved from a Nikon D7000, grip, 17-55mm f2.8 setup along with other lenses.
So for me the A7 was a big step up in terms if size, weight and IQ :)
The Fuji XT-1 was a close consideration for me as Fuji's customer service is excellent :)
For me the difference of £179 between the A7 and X-T1 body wasn't that big, decided to go FF.

The Zeiss 55mm f/1.8 is one of the sharpest lenses ever tested so the slightly larger size is justified imo.

Fuji make great lenses and are way ahead in terms of the road map.

Anybody who has a Fuji XT-1 or Sony A7 should be happy, both great units with positive and negatives for each.

:)

I just bought an adapter off EBay, cost around £15 from memory. I'll be using it at an airshow tomorrow, should be fun!

Am I right in thinking it's a Sigma 70-300mm APO, considering the price you paid. Could you post a link or pic of lens. ?

I am looking for a 300mm lens as I am finding my 100-300mm f5 a little to heavy for me.

Thanks
Simon

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply.

Will have a little search around, I am looking for a prime as I have the 100-300 zoom.

And they don't work for colour rendering. Lightroom loses all the warmth of the Fuji JPEGs. (Not just with the XT1, did the same with the S3 and 5 too)

I m very happy with the result I m getting. I have compared the settings I use in LR to the JPGs and there isn't a huge difference IMO.

Sony will be making big announcements at Photokina in September.
Highly likely the announcement for the 5 FE lenses.
Zeiss 16-35mm f4 OSS
Sony G Macro
Zeiss wide-angle
And two other unknown lenses

Back to the Fuji lens road map, I must admit Fuji is making great progress with not only their lenses but camera bodies too.
It's a shame they never factored in a FF setup from the beginning.

I think you've posted this on the wrong forum by mistake.

The IQ from Fuji is as good as most Full Frames to the extend that many people have dumped their FF gear in favour of Fuji. Sony on the other hand keep churning out different formats which they support with a handful of lenses are in a state of flux at the moment. No doubt they will settle down soon.

I think you've posted this on the wrong forum by mistake.

The IQ from Fuji is as good as most Full Frames to that extend that many people have dumped their FF gear in favour of Fuji.

Sony on the other hand keep churning out different formats which they support with a handful of lenses. They are in a state of flux at the moment. No doubt they will settle down soon.

Not sure it's the app - I don't use the app and get occasional double posts. On several different machines.

I was just stating earlier on in the thread that Fuji is doing really well with their lens roadmap and their customer service is excellent. Way better than Sony actualy.
The X-T1 just wasnt for me, I felt I would explain why as its always good to share and it's gives prospective buyers other options to consider.

Here is a Fuji XT-1 review, looking at the image crops, the Sony A7 is out in front in terms of IQ.
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/fuji-x-t1/fuji-x-t1A.HTM

"Detail comparison. At first glance the eye is immediately drawn to the astonishing fine detail performance from the A7. Some may consider this comparison unfair, since it's a full-frame camera with higher resolution than all but two of the others, but the price point is the deciding factor on why we included it here. It only costs about 15% more than the X-T1, so it's in the same ballpark. In comparing the rest, the X-T1 clearly doesn't stand out against this field as a high-contrast fine detail performer, with the 70D and the D7100 out-resolving details in the lettering across the ISO range. The Canon 70D's images get a lot of their "pop" from fairly strong sharpening, which artificially increases the contrast between the dark and light lines in the text, though; the D7100's rendering is the most natural of the sub-frame cameras."

I rest my case :)

Last edited:
I was just stating earlier on in the thread that Fuji is doing really well with their lens roadmap and their customer service is excellent. Way better than Sony actualy.
The X-T1 just wasnt for me, I felt I would explain why as its always good to share and it's gives prospective buyers other options to consider.

Here is a Fuji XT-1 review, looking at the image crops, the Sony A7 is out in front in terms of IQ.
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/fuji-x-t1/fuji-x-t1A.HTM

"Detail comparison. At first glance the eye is immediately drawn to the astonishing fine detail performance from the A7. Some may consider this comparison unfair, since it's a full-frame camera with higher resolution than all but two of the others, but the price point is the deciding factor on why we included it here. It only costs about 15% more than the X-T1, so it's in the same ballpark. In comparing the rest, the X-T1 clearly doesn't stand out against this field as a high-contrast fine detail performer, with the 70D and the D7100 out-resolving details in the lettering across the ISO range. The Canon 70D's images get a lot of their "pop" from fairly strong sharpening, which artificially increases the contrast between the dark and light lines in the text, though; the D7100's rendering is the most natural of the sub-frame cameras."

I rest my case :)

NOTE: These images are best quality JPEGs straight out of the camera, at default settings including noise reduction and using the camera's actual base ISO (not extended ISO settings).

So really what he's doing is showing the cameras jpeg processing?

NOTE: These images are best quality JPEGs straight out of the camera, at default settings including noise reduction and using the camera's actual base ISO (not extended ISO settings).

So really what he's doing is showing the cameras jpeg processing?

Correct, and we all know how good the Fuji JPEG engine is (the best imo) vs the medicore A7 JPEG engine.
From a IQ prespective, paying the extra £179 over the Fuji X-T1 was worth the difference.
So if IQ is your main aim then the Sony A7 is worth considering :)

Correct, and we all know how good the Fuji JPEG engine is (the best imo) vs the medicore A7 JPEG engine.
From a IQ prespective, paying the extra £179 over the Fuji X-T1 was worth the difference.
So if IQ is your main aim then the Sony A7 is worth considering :)

…… But your comment is based on jpeg.

…... and we all know theres more to IQ than just the sensor, don't we. ;)

If image quality is the main concern you wouldn't be buying an A7 or an X-T1.

…… But your comment is based on jpeg.

…... and we all know theres more to IQ than just the sensor, don't we. ;)

If image quality is the main concern you wouldn't be buying an A7 or an X-T1.

Very true..... Digital Medium format :D

Fuji camera with Sony high mp sensor

Can't see the point comparing with the 70D and 7100, both larger and heavier with that being the reason people have swapped to the XT1.

Can't see the point comparing with the 70D and 7100, both larger and heavier with that being the reason people have swapped to the XT1.

Yep. Comparisons are pretty pointless. Just get the one that 'does it' for you.
When making any comparison it's very rare that all things are equal.
And there is still no perfect all round camera.

Sony just don't have the native lens lineup for me to consider. Using the adapter for A mount lenses completely defeats the point of having a smaller body. Being FF there isn't a lot they can really do about the size for fast glass anyway. If I was that hung up on detail/IQ it would be the A7R anyway. I don't view at 100% though (or print large) so I can relax about such things.

They dont need to factor in ff when their hi iso performance is so good and they are releasing such fast primes and zooms. What would the benefit be?

At the mo FF offers an advantage when printing the size of a barn or cropping like a machete wielding psycho and at stratospheric ISO settings. So, in the real world for most people there's no benefit except bragging rights.

However, if you want to use 30 year old manual lenses and get the intended FoV FF offers a benefit.

At the mo FF offers an advantage when printing the size of a barn or cropping like a machete wielding psycho and at stratospheric ISO settings. So, in the real world for most people there's no benefit except bragging rights.

However, if you want to use 30 year old manual lenses and get the intended FoV FF offers a benefit.

Precicisely, how many of us need that cropping ability, most of us treat an interchangeable lens camera as that, choose the right lens for the job.

Ive said all along, in your case the a7 is a revelation, only thing its missing is IBIS. However, on the native lens side of things im not convinced.

Last edited:
It seems this lens now goes for good money, one went on the bay yesterday for £184.00, so you have had a nice little return on your purchase price, although after a few years.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sigma-300mm-f4-APO-Tele-Macro-AF-Lens-Nikon-fit-/111416096218?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=8Iuqv88TvRbrEwm%2Bz2JdMpV1rKc%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

It's an old lens for sure, but I only bought it off these forums a couple of weeks back (from the film section). Nice to know I got a good deal, cheers :)

The receipt from '95 days says it cost £549 back then.

Last edited:
What I find difficult is manually focusing and trying to change aperture on the fly all whilst trying to pan smoothly at lowish shutter speed (1/180)... I was at an airshow yesterday, it was a challenging experience to say the least!

What I find difficult is manually focusing and trying to change aperture on the fly all whilst trying to pan smoothly at lowish shutter speed (1/180)... I was at an airshow yesterday, it was a challenging experience to say the least!

Back to the 70s!

Be careful buying those old Sigma primes, a lot of them suffered issues with haze which is difficult to fix (if I remember correctly).

I reckon that might actually be a problem with this lens. I was putting things down to flare, but haze fits the symptoms better (lack of contrast). Doing a flashlight test it looks like it has been cleaned at some point with something that has degraded and caused the haze. Ho hum.

I reckon that might actually be a problem with this lens. I was putting things down to flare, but haze fits the symptoms better (lack of contrast). Doing a flashlight test it looks like it has been cleaned at some point with something that has degraded and caused the haze. Ho hum.

:(

I've now had my X-T1 (or should I say both of them...) for 30 days. I have mixed feelings.

On the one hand, I'm ecstatic about how the camera feels. I took in on a rather lengthy hiking trip (10 days through Norway, glaciers and all) and it never bothered me once, even with the comparably hefty 10-24 on it. Generally, I'm very happy with the results as well. The colours and dynamic range are amazing as is sharpness and resolution... BUT:

The first one I had (and took to Norway with me), I sent back last week because of a red dot showing on EVERY picture:

View attachment 16811

View attachment 16812

Now I know this is pixel peeping at 100% but it's also very visible at the size I usually view my images at (unzoomed on 27" Thunderbolt display..):

View attachment 16817
(bottom right corner)

Yesterday, I got my replacement from amazon... at first, I thought the issue resolved but then I spotted the same red dot in the middle of every image...

View attachment 16816

View attachment 16818

I'm not sure what to do... try a third one? Send it to Fuji for repair? To be honest, I've been in the DSLR game since the 300D and never had this problem. I'm a bit disappointed after spending close to 4.000€ on a new system after more than a decade of Canon. I don't think this is acceptable at all.

I've now had my X-T1 (or should I say both of them...) for 30 days. I have mixed feelings.

On the one hand, I'm ecstatic about how the camera feels. I took in on a rather lengthy hiking trip (10 days through Norway, glaciers and all) and it never bothered me once, even with the comparably hefty 10-24 on it. Generally, I'm very happy with the results as well. The colours and dynamic range are amazing as is sharpness and resolution... BUT:

The first one I had (and took to Norway with me), I sent back last week because of a red dot showing on EVERY picture:

View attachment 16811

View attachment 16812

Now I know this is pixel peeping at 100% but it's also very visible at the size I usually view my images at (unzoomed on 27" Thunderbolt display..):

View attachment 16817
(bottom right corner)

Yesterday, I got my replacement from amazon... at first, I thought the issue resolved but then I spotted the same red dot in the middle of every image...

View attachment 16816

View attachment 16818

I'm not sure what to do... try a third one? Send it to Fuji for repair? To be honest, I've been in the DSLR game since the 300D and never had this problem. I'm a bit disappointed after spending close to 4.000€ on a new system after more than a decade of Canon. I don't think this is acceptable at all.

A hot pixel is pretty rare, youve had 2 on 2 different cameras. Thats pretty bad luck. Sorry.

It's not the fault of Amazon but in that situation I would be inclined to go for a refund and buy elsewhere, no better odds of getting a perfect one elsewhere but that is what I would do.

I would definitely NOT have it repaired!

Last edited:
Yeah, I just packed it up... it's going back tomorrow and I'll try a third time. Just somewhat slows down the initial enthusiasm I felt for the Fuji X system.

Why on earth would you want to use manual focus on an aircraft on a modem camera. Sounds like you are making things hard for yourself.

The split screens of the 80s made MF relatively easy but that doesn't translate to modem cameras including the X-T1.

I have used the split focus on the. X-T1 for macro but that's slow time.

Back