The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

It's the first setting on "shooting menu 5"

My 55-200 still makes a quiet "whirring" even when set to shooting only, so not sure if you will notice a huge change.
It's there right in front of my eyes :D and you are right I can still hear whirring away so still a battery drain if you need to have it switched off, on a tripod for example.

Here is the mod I made to the iso and shutter speed dials on the top which were awkward to alter by having to hold down the unlock button at the same time as turning the dial.

I had some 3M "Bumpons", they have an adhesive bottom that is gives a good hold yet are still easy enough to remove, these hold down the button securely enabling you to turn the knurled wheel much easier and while unlocked they are still stiff enough not to be accidentally altered, also being transparent they do not obscure the settings, I use the smaller ones to protect other kit I have when having to place them down anywhere.
Seeing as I have forgotten how to post the pics on here, here is a a link to the pics in a Photobucket account I use now for less serious stuff.

http://s361.photobucket.com/user/Galaxy66/media/RV5A0134_zpsf92f9fcc.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

Thanks for sharing. I don't mid the shutter speed dial but wish they made the ISO dial similar to the shutter's dial

My L bracket finally arrived yesterday. Would have preferred if it sat flush with the camera footprint rather than being a bit wider all round, but it's still nice and not too badly priced. (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171374475277?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT).

Mine arrived today from the same seller, very decent quality and excellent value, paid about 22 quid, can't be bad.

Still interested in the new 18-135mm, doesn't seem to be many around though and with the doubts about using the money off voucher online bit reluctant to pre-order

Last edited:
Mine arrived today from the same seller, very decent quality and excellent value, paid about 22 quid, can't be bad.

Still interested in the new 18-135mm, doesn't seem to be many around though and with the doubts about using the money off voucher online bit reluctant to pre-order

Yep i pre order mine and the shop i got it from only got one in,always the same with new lens from Fuji

I only had time to fly into the shop where I got mine very briefly to drop off a bit of paper they had lost (and needed to get their money back from Fuji) and they were quite busy so didn't have a chance to ask if they still had one in stock. I could have popped back in later but my mouth didn't work - root canal!

Anyone have any recomendations for a Monopod, I have never used one before or a tripod so I thought I would give one a go to reduce the weight of the legacy lens I bought last week which weighs 1.3kgs. The lens will probably be used mostly in the garden or if we go out Clare parks me on a bench and she goes and walks the dog.

WEX have them in stock

Thanks for the info, but after much deliberation think I am going to give it a miss. Looking at the size especially when extended makes me think its defeating the object of having a smaller lighter camera.
Very tempting especially with the discount, but if I ever decide on something weightier/longer reckon the 55-200mm is a better bet

As a tele lens, the 55-200 is a better bet but as a walkabout single lens option the 18-135 is (to me at least) more useful. The 18-135 is WR too which could be handy next March in Iceland although I might take the D700 on that trip.

That's my dilemma, still have a 5D and 70-200 so keeping the Fuji as a light alternative
Decided on the 14mm, handy for landscapes and interiors, sensible size too
Shame you have to buy two lenses under the current cash back offer so might have to be s/hand this time

In what way is it better Simon

Cheers
Rich

Thanks for the info, but after much deliberation think I am going to give it a miss. Looking at the size especially when extended makes me think its defeating the object of having a smaller lighter camera.
Very tempting especially with the discount, but if I ever decide on something weightier/longer reckon the 55-200mm is a better bet

I agree with that completely. It does appear quite large the 18-135 even when not extended but especially so when it is. But I also agree with the point I guess about it being a one lens travel option too.

That's my dilemma, still have a 5D and 70-200 so keeping the Fuji as a light alternative
Decided on the 14mm, handy for landscapes and interiors, sensible size too
Shame you have to buy two lenses under the current cash back offer so might have to be s/hand this time

I too still have a 7d and 70-200 so am in a similar situation. Just purchased a 14mm yesterday which should be delivered tomorrow :) Cant wait. I think its more in keeping with the size of the body. Got it second hand too as not looking to get two lenses at the mo either.

MPB have one in at the mo if you are looking :)

So I got my X-t1 yesterday. The least I can say is that i was very very excited about this!
It came with the 18-55mm kit lens. I took a few picture in my room yesterday and along the harbour this afternoon.
I've process some file using LR 5 which include the film preset that can be applied to the raw file.
This for me is a very massive upgrade from my canon 40D.

So far it's a 50/50 feeling about it.

The pro: (image quality)

1- the image quality is unprecedented to my experience, you can zoom right in at 3:1 and still get some really impressive detail

2- yesterday i shot in my bedroom at iso5000, 55mm, f/4, 1/4s and the shot were pretty good which is totally unthinkable compare to my 40D

3- it's nice to have the preset in LR to emulates the film setting as i quickly realise so picture scream for colour (astia) when most picture look good in standart or soft (provia/astia)

4-it's a bit like if this camera would shot anything without struggling!

I still need to look throught a lot of the option that are offered by this camera

The cons: (to summarize the lack of tactile feeling for the camera)

A- an evf is an evf and it is like looking at a screen computer; this as the advantage to show you what you will get but it is quiet different to a slr and make me feel distant from what i'm shooting (might need more getting use too..)

B- the size of the body is too small, the finger in the front have to be cramped over the body and it is almost painfull, the thumb is really not falling in the back of the camera but wants to be sticking up on the top. I though i would love the size because it is the same size as my olympus om1 but i didn't realise that when you shoot film you don't have to fiddle with some button in the back! Actually when shooting film it's a great place to have the thumb because you need to crank the film but here the thumb his just miles away from all these tiny button in the back of the camera

C- I though i would love the top plate setting but actually it is a draw back from my 40D for which both apperture and shutter have a attributed wheel which mean no need to look at the body to change it. With the xt1 you need to take the camera away from your eyes change the setting and shot again. is there a way t access at the shutter speed faster than this? Or maybe this camera is better used leaving the shutter in auto and using the exposure compensation which i'm not familiar with. I used to shoot almost always manual on my 40D.

D- the focus on the lens as no mechanical feedback and it a bit very long. Feel like you're winding for ages and I do like to use manual feedback. then the focus assist doesn't seems to get that close to help you. If i shot landscape/ wild life with the 40D I put the liveview and zoom to 10x to get the detail i want sharp. Can you get closer than this?

E- I haven't find yet the option to have the all picture on one side and the detail display next to it? I can only find standart, split (with a grey area in the middle) and the other option which colour what is in focus. Where is the other option?

F- no mirror mean no real feeling of taking a picture, it's a bit silly to think so but I feel like this camera doesn't give me much feedback

This might be a lot due to the "getting used to a new camera" feeling and a step learning curve from coming from another make of camera. But I really have a feeling that this camera doesn't fit in your hand and that none of the button fall under the finger that is supposed to press them. Apart from this I'm very impressed with what come out of the camera. I am going to give it a few week and try t get use to it but I've also been thinking that if i don't like it I will buy a canon 7D/70D instead at be able to keep all my lenses.

Thomas, I know what you mean about the cons side but I think your last paragraph covers it - to some extent it's just a slight learning curve.

I can answer C with my solution. Use aperture priority and adjust the ring on the lens until you get the shutter speed you want. A bit ar5e about face but it gets the job done. Or, of course, once your off the A setting on the shutter dial, you don't need to press the button to unlock it (unless you end up back on A - easily done!) As for A, yes, it's an EVF but it's the best I've used. B is a lot of its charm IMO! I have big hands and fat fingers (wedding ring is Z+6...) but soon got used to the size. With D, I was struggling with MF fine tuning until I discovered that pressing the AF button on the back while in MF mode AF's on the chosen AF area then that can be fine tuned with the focus ring, just a different way of doing things. TBH, almost all the time, I find the AF is quicker and more accurate than my attempts at MF anyway!

So I got my X-t1 yesterday. The least I can say is that i was very very excited about this!
It came with the 18-55mm kit lens. I took a few picture in my room yesterday and along the harbour this afternoon.
I've process some file using LR 5 which include the film preset that can be applied to the raw file.
This for me is a very massive upgrade from my canon 40D.

So far it's a 50/50 feeling about it.

The pro: (image quality)

1- the image quality is unprecedented to my experience, you can zoom right in at 3:1 and still get some really impressive detail

2- yesterday i shot in my bedroom at iso5000, 55mm, f/4, 1/4s and the shot were pretty good which is totally unthinkable compare to my 40D

3- it's nice to have the preset in LR to emulates the film setting as i quickly realise so picture scream for colour (astia) when most picture look good in standart or soft (provia/astia)

4-it's a bit like if this camera would shot anything without struggling!

I still need to look throught a lot of the option that are offered by this camera

The cons: (to summarize the lack of tactile feeling for the camera)

A- an evf is an evf and it is like looking at a screen computer; this as the advantage to show you what you will get but it is quiet different to a slr and make me feel distant from what i'm shooting (might need more getting use too..)

B- the size of the body is too small, the finger in the front have to be cramped over the body and it is almost painfull, the thumb is really not falling in the back of the camera but wants to be sticking up on the top. I though i would love the size because it is the same size as my olympus om1 but i didn't realise that when you shoot film you don't have to fiddle with some button in the back! Actually when shooting film it's a great place to have the thumb because you need to crank the film but here the thumb his just miles away from all these tiny button in the back of the camera

C- I though i would love the top plate setting but actually it is a draw back from my 40D for which both apperture and shutter have a attributed wheel which mean no need to look at the body to change it. With the xt1 you need to take the camera away from your eyes change the setting and shot again. is there a way t access at the shutter speed faster than this? Or maybe this camera is better used leaving the shutter in auto and using the exposure compensation which i'm not familiar with. I used to shoot almost always manual on my 40D.

D- the focus on the lens as no mechanical feedback and it a bit very long. Feel like you're winding for ages and I do like to use manual feedback. then the focus assist doesn't seems to get that close to help you. If i shot landscape/ wild life with the 40D I put the liveview and zoom to 10x to get the detail i want sharp. Can you get closer than this?

E- I haven't find yet the option to have the all picture on one side and the detail display next to it? I can only find standart, split (with a grey area in the middle) and the other option which colour what is in focus. Where is the other option?

F- no mirror mean no real feeling of taking a picture, it's a bit silly to think so but I feel like this camera doesn't give me much feedback

This might be a lot due to the "getting used to a new camera" feeling and a step learning curve from coming from another make of camera. But I really have a feeling that this camera doesn't fit in your hand and that none of the button fall under the finger that is supposed to press them. Apart from this I'm very impressed with what come out of the camera. I am going to give it a few week and try t get use to it but I've also been thinking that if i don't like it I will buy a canon 7D/70D instead at be able to keep all my lenses.

A - I kind of agree, you will get used to it though. Its the best EVF on the market so it doesnt get any better yet, advantages and disadvantages.

B - Perhaps you could try a hand grip ..... http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/x/fujifilm_x_t1/features/img/page_04/pic_05.jpg

C - I tend to shoot aperture priority so dont fiddle to much with shutter, ISO auto set minimum shutter speed in options, change aperture.

D - Some Fujis are better than others, are you using focus magnify?

E - Press the display button on the back of the camera in split and it should come up.

F - Cant help you there. All I can say is you do/should get used to it and recognise the advantages of not having that mirror.

Thomas, I know what you mean about the cons side but I think your last paragraph covers it - to some extent it's just a slight learning curve.
With D, I was struggling with MF fine tuning until I discovered that pressing the AF button on the back while in MF mode AF's on the chosen AF area then that can be fine tuned with the focus ring, just a different way of doing things. TBH, almost all the time, I find the AF is quicker and more accurate than my attempts at MF anyway!
I've just tried this and it really does work great!

It more the depth of the body which is a bit annoying i think, not thick enough but i'll probably get use to it!

A - I kind of agree, you will get used to it though. Its the best EVF on the market so it doesnt get any better yet, advantages and disadvantages.
C - I tend to shoot aperture priority so dont fiddle to much with shutter, ISO auto set minimum shutter speed in options, change aperture.
It would be fantastic to be able to assign the shutter speed function to that little wheel that does aperture for lens which don't don't have an aperture ring. It is just at a good location for this. Is there a way of doing so?

E - Press the display button on the back of the camera in split and it should come up.
Thanks that works great and joined with nod advice it's really practical

Thanks both for your advice which are really usefull, i really like the perfomance of the camera but it will take some getting use to!

Mine local LCE had two in,both were on pre order,confused why their are such short supply :confused:

Hi Simon, I find it very strange that they are still in very short supply here, I picked one up over the counter in the USA at the beginning of July. :confused:

George.

Mine local LCE had two in,both were on pre order,confused why their are such short supply :confused:

It is a shame as I was hopping to get one before I am away to the Middle East next week. It would have been very useful under the very bright sun.

Is it a lot bigger than the original eyecup?

It is a shame as I was hopping to get one before I am away to the Middle East next week. It would have been very useful under the very bright sun.

xt1_eyepiece_camera.gif

Yep found a lot bigger very useful,hopefully you will be able to get one before you go

Yep found a lot bigger very useful,hopefully you will be able to get one before you go

It makes the camera look right, the way it looks to me at present is as if the eye cup is missing.

Last edited:
Would they bother showing as in stock for some shops and not others, wouldn't they just show stock in all shops if they didn't have them and wanted to take your money?? Give them a ring and try is the best I suppose, if a shop is not local.

Well mine will be here on Tuesday :)
I have been debating about getting one of these on and off since their release, this afternoon I took the plunge and fell really lucky.
Just ordered an XT1+18-55 kit from the fuj refurb shop and even managed to find a working discount code as well :banana:
I have just put all my Olympus gear up for sale and depending on how I find it, the canon gear may go the same way.

Couple of snaps taken of our dog using the Legacy Tokina 100-300mm f4 lens I bought last week. Lens seems promising so far, although a little too heavy for me, so will have to buy a monopod or tripod. Also, it's an excuse for me to see if I can add pics from Flickr, as I have a right mare in the past.

Dust 07.08.2014 048 by swanseajack2013, on Flickr

Dust 07.08.2014 043 by swanseajack2013, on Flickr

Back