The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

I bought a x2 Tokina Teleconvertor this week for the Tokina lens, turned up yesterday and it had fungus in middle element. Tried a couple of shots and with good lighting I think it would work if I had a clean one. Something for you to consider for the Sigma, as your's is a Nikon fitting you could get a x1.4 convertor to stop losing too much light???

There's no x1.4 for my Tokina, there is a Canon FD one which has a protruding element which is only suitable for certain Canon FD lenses.

PS: Are you using a tripod or monopod with the SIgma, if so any recomendations, I need one for the Tokina, its too heavy for me to handhold.

Last edited:
I bought a x2 Tokina Teleconvertor this week for the Tokina lens, turned up yesterday and it had fungus in middle element. Tried a couple of shots and with good lighting I think it would work if I had a clean one. Something for you to consider for the Sigma, as your's is a Nikon fitting you could get a x1.4 convertor to stop losing too much light???

There's no x1.4 for my Tokina, there is a Canon FD one which has a protruding element which is only suitable for certain Canon FD lenses.

PS: Are you using a tripod or monopod with the SIgma, if so any recomendations, I need one for the Tokina, its too heavy for me to handhold.

The Sigma has some hazing so I'm replacing it because of that and I'd like something at 400mm. I don't use a tripod or monopod I'm afraid so can't help you there.

A quick word to help reassure anyone who's managed to get hold of an 18-135 (after a slightly worried PM from Mal!). The zoom ring is a little stiff, especially at the long end. Probably a result of the weather proofing seals and it does loosen up a little with use. Not enough (so far) to allow it to creep though.

Covers over 90% on my needs and I'm looking forward to trying it as an only lens for a holiday. I'll be taking other cameras (and the 10-24!) though, just in case...

Anyone as tried the samyang/rokinon 12mm f/2?

A review here http://www.aps-photo.com/2014/04/rokinon-12mm-f2-0-for-x-mount-a-first-look/
And followed by an update here. http://www.aps-photo.com/2014/06/update-on-the-rokinon-12mm-f2-ncs-cs-lens/

It look like an great lens for very little money (more than 1/2 price than fuji and zeiss alternative!)

It look very tempting!

Yes, I have one and it can be useful occasionally I will try and post a pic later on. I last used it on Saturday photographing a wedding reception in a marquee. I put the X-T1 on a monopod, lifted it above my head and took 3 bracketed shots using the self-timer.

I only use it occasionally but it's as cheep as chips, very sharp and worth keeping in your tool bag.

Yes, I have one and it can be useful occasionally I will try and post a pic later on. I last used it on Saturday photographing a wedding reception in a marquee. I put the X-T1 on a monopod, lifted it above my head and took 3 bracketed shots using the self-timer.

I only use it occasionally but it's as cheep as chips, very sharp and worth keeping in your tool bag.

Thanks, i'm thinking about it for the occasional shot or two, used too starts, northern light, maybe indoor photo... Difficult to justify 500-600 £ for a lens that doens't come out much!

Anyone as tried the samyang/rokinon 12mm f/2?

A review here http://www.aps-photo.com/2014/04/rokinon-12mm-f2-0-for-x-mount-a-first-look/
And followed by an update here. http://www.aps-photo.com/2014/06/update-on-the-rokinon-12mm-f2-ncs-cs-lens/

It look like an great lens for very little money (more than 1/2 price than fuji and zeiss alternative!)

It look very tempting!

I have just got one, havent had a chance to use it yet, but I owned one in the Sony NEX mount before I jumped ship to Fuji.

They're brilliant lenses for the price. I do a lot of Urbex and as such I need something wide for interior shots, and the 10-24 is just too expensive for me!

As long as you're OK with it being manual focus (one area which for me the XT1 shines compared to DSLR's IMO), then I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

PM me and I'll try and get a couple of sample shots taken for you if you like.

1. Some great pics and reviews from all the X-T1 owners out there. I thought I'd throw this review out there too - yet another Nikon -> Fujifilm convert, or should I say, DSLR to Mirrorless convert...

The 8mm Samyang

There's a nice little review of the Fuji 56mm f1.2 here...

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/reviews/lenses/129541/4/fujinon-xf-56mm-f-1-2-r-review

and this caught my eye...

"Now Fuji needs to introduce shorter top shutter speeds and lower ISO settings to cope with the amount of light this 56mm f/1.2 gathers, so we can use it wide open outside too!"

Hallelujah! I've rarely seen this mentioned in reviews but it's a direction that I've wanted CSC's to go in since beginning my love / hate relationship with them. They have some lovely wide aperture lenses that are sharp wide open (not always the case with DSLR lenses) but are often hobbled with a base ISO of 200 and a max shutter speed of 1/4000 making wide aperture shooting difficult in daylight unless you use ND's (I hate juggling them) or don't mind blowing your highlights to kingdom come.

I don't want to give the impression that I'm Fuji bashing as I'm not as my complaint is with the majority of CSC's not specifically Fuji. I have looked long and hard at Fuji reviews but for a couple of reasons at the moment I'm an A7 and Panasonic MFT user and the latter is also to a degree afflicted with the same issues as the Fuji when trying to shoot with wide apertures.

Anyway. I'd like to see more reviews highlight this issue and I'd love to see Fuji and the others offer a base ISO of 100 if not 50 and a max shutter speed of 1/8000.

There's a nice little review of the Fuji 56mm f1.2 here...

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/reviews/lenses/129541/4/fujinon-xf-56mm-f-1-2-r-review

and this caught my eye...

"Now Fuji needs to introduce shorter top shutter speeds and lower ISO settings to cope with the amount of light this 56mm f/1.2 gathers, so we can use it wide open outside too!"

Hallelujah! I've rarely seen this mentioned in reviews but it's a direction that I've wanted CSC's to go in since beginning my love / hate relationship with them. They have some lovely wide aperture lenses that are sharp wide open (not always the case with DSLR lenses) but are often hobbled with a base ISO of 200 and a max shutter speed of 1/4000 making wide aperture shooting difficult in daylight unless you use ND's (I hate juggling them) or don't mind blowing your highlights to kingdom come.

I don't want to give the impression that I'm Fuji bashing as I'm not as my complaint is with the majority of CSC's not specifically Fuji. I have looked long and hard at Fuji reviews but for a couple of reasons at the moment I'm an A7 and Panasonic MFT user and the latter is also to a degree afflicted with the same issues as the Fuji when trying to shoot with wide apertures.

Anyway. I'd like to see more reviews highlight this issue and I'd love to see Fuji and the others offer a base ISO of 100 if not 50 and a max shutter speed of 1/8000.

Not quite sure why they didn't go for an base of iso 50 and max shutter speed 1/8000,as they can be very useful :confused:

Id kind of agree as I also buy fast lenses to shoot wide open, but until that happens Im happy with the IQ of Fuji and a CPL or an ND, as its a system camera and not a compact I carry a bag anyway and a filter takes up no space. If I go out with 1 lens and no bag Ill just put on an appropriate filter beforehand or stick it in my pocket, the largest filter is 62mm and thats small enough in its plastic case for any pocket. Its not really a major issue.

Last edited:
After spending money on a fairly light camera setup (X-t1 of course). I though it was time to save some money on accessory. I just bought myself a small tripod, a manfrotto MKC3-H01. Voluntarily went for this older model has the newer model is bigger, heavier and can carry more weight. I got mine for under 30£ on ebay in mint condition.

Detail on the product: http://www.trustedreviews.com/manfrotto-mkc3-h01-tripod_Camera-Accessory_review
I find both ball head and paning head quiet fiddly to use. I had a go yesterday with the pistol grip and I'm more than happy with it! I wouldn't extend the last bit of legs due to wobbliness but it is fairly sturdy and more than enough for the weight of the camera.

I think it is a great addition to the xt1. And I'm looking forward for a nice crisp night to use the Xt1 with it's automated sequential capture, high iso performance and trying to get some decent star trail photography! I will also be buying very shortly a Samyang 12mm f/2.0 which should work a treat for this kind of stuff (the lens is at 234£ on digitalrev, vs 400£ for uk stock). This will be a practice for this winter northern light which I hope will be strong again this year! (

Not quite sure why they didn't go for an base of iso 50 and max shutter speed 1/8000,as they can be very useful :confused:

There are lots of technical explanations waffling on about full well capacity etc... but... Sony have a base ISO of 100 in the Nex don't they? And Nex is APS-C? These days ISO values may not be or mean what they say the tin but what matters to me is not finite reality but being able to shoot how I want and get good image quality. If a true base of ISO 100 isn't technically possible surely a fiddle avoiding the ham fisted in camera processing and clipping of highlights we see with some cameras would be possible if it was a priority?

I dunno????

The thing that 'annoys' me more is the lack of flash HSS or decent lighting options from Fuji.

Id kind of agree as I also buy fast lenses to shoot wide open, but until that happens Im happy with the IQ of Fuji and a CPL or an ND, as its a system camera and not a compact I carry a bag anyway and a filter takes up no space. If I go out with 1 lens and no bag Ill just put on an appropriate filter beforehand or stick it in my pocket, the largest filter is 62mm and thats small enough in its plastic case for any pocket. Its not really a major issue.

Personally with my Panny G1 I find myself needing a filter for about one shot in 3 some days and that's a lot of juggling of lens hoods, filters and holders, so much so that I'd rather not bother.

I am in a minority with this complaint and it is possible to either put up with ND's or shoot at f8 and avoid the issue.

Personally with my Panny G1 I find myself needing a filter for about one shot in 3 some days and that's a lot of juggling of lens hoods, filters and holders, so much so that I'd rather not bother.

I am in a minority with this complaint and it is possible to either put up with ND's or shoot at f8 and avoid the issue.

I have an XT1 35 and 56 with filters in a very small bag, no issues with dealing with 2 filters and theres certainly no need for F8. I know its an issue for you as you've mentioned it a few times in other CSC threads. :D

I have an XT1 35 and 56 with filters in a very small bag, no issues with dealing with 2 filters and theres certainly no need for F8. I know its an issue for you as you've mentioned it a few times in other CSC threads. :D

Unfortunately I'm rather odd :D

If I see what I perceive as a problem it's all I can see and if I care it's often to the point of obsession. Whilst I can function in a world full of half developed buggy issue infected technology I sometimes blow a gasket or two and unfortunately photography and cameras are an interest of mine and sometimes bring out the worst in me :D

Unfortunately I'm rather odd :D

If I see what I perceive as a problem it's all I can see and if I care it's often to the point of obsession. Whilst I can function in a world full of half developed buggy issue infected technology I sometimes blow a gasket or two and unfortunately photography and cameras are an interest of mine and sometimes bring out the worst in me :D

Lol...
Nothing wrong with this. Your comment are just a way of saying: "thanks Fuji but it's still not perfect, this can be done better". So hopefully they keep up to good work!

converted from canon to the x-pro 1 and never looked back. now my x-t1 is my main go-to and the x-pro 1 is my backup camera.

back in may my grandparent's community was hit by a tornado. the house trailer next to theirs was destroyed, the man inside was injured pretty badly, but to be honest, after looking at the trailer it's amazing he's alive at all. i took my fuji x-t1 and took lots of insurance photos the first day while everyone was waiting around for the news to leave and insurance companies to arrive. it was an all day job, i couldn't have imagined lugging a canon 5d mkII around all day long.

the destroyed trailer. welcome mat is still on the front steps, the truck didn't move. the trailer was dropped 20 feet away from where it originally sat. the guy inside was lucky to be alive.

there shouldn't be any sky visible in this shot

cleanup a day or two later

I am after a bit of help guys and ladies

My XT1 arrived today along with the 18-55 and a few extras.
I have the 10-24 arriving tomorrow and I am now in need of a new camera bag.
My current bag will work fine but I cannot fit my 100mm filters and 105mm CPL in it, which I will need to use with the 10-24.

Looking forward to getting out with it now.

I am in the process of selling my Canon 7D and selection of lenses to fund the switch to a X-T1 but can't make my mind up if I should get the 18-55 or 18-135
I tend to do more landscapes than anything so I'm thinking of the Samyang 12mm as I can't justify the cost of the Fuji 10-24 and adding a Fuji 60mm macro.
Just got an X-M1 for my other half so will be getting a free 50-230 meaning I think I have most things covered.
Just can't decide on which kit lens.
I am switching due to being sick of lugging my Canon gear around so like the idea of the 18-135 as it would cover lots of options in one lens but is the image quality as good as the 18-55?
Anybody used both?

Not sure about image quality, but that 18-135 is a big old lump compared to the 18-55, decided against getting it and I have a 250 quid off voucher for one. Rather keep a nice lightweight kit, only other lens I want now is the 14mm.

Really enjoying using the much smaller set up, bought the X-E1 and liked it so much went for the X-T1, gets so much more use than when I had to cart about a much larger and heavier body/lens combination.

Kit, I have both and I reckon you'd be hard pushed to tell the difference between shots from the two. As Rich says, the 18-135 is bigger than the 18-55 but does offer over twice the available zoom range. It's also weather sealed so a great match for the X-T1. I'm off on holiday later this month and will be taking the 18-135 and 10-24 while the rest of the kit will stay at home.

......so I spend hours late last night trying to figure out why I can not get the flash to work until I read in one XT1 review that the flash is disabled if you have the camera set to silent, WTF !

Says the same in that most useful of publications - the user manual!

LOL sometimes you can not see things for looking ! but I still can't figure out what the silent setting has to do with the operation of the flash..............or is that in the manual too :)

Fuji's thinking behind it seems to be that silent mode is for stealth and a bright flash is not very stealthy.

The first thing I do with a new camera is to disable the annoying beep. Rarely do I use flash for what I do so no big deal, my op was more to the point as to what the silent setting had to do with the flash and still can't figure it out.

The first thing I do with a new camera is to disable the annoying beep. Rarely do I use flash for what I do so no big deal, my op was more to the point as to what the silent setting had to do with the flash and still can't figure it out.

The beep can be disabled without employong silent mode.

I have a small library of manuals beside the throne so I can absorb them slowly! The problem I had a couple of years ago has made learning new stuff (and things) less easy than it is for most people of a certain age so I need fairly constant reminders before new information soaks through my thick skull. The "no flash in silent mode" "issue" is common to all the Fujis I've got so that piece of new information has actually permeated into my memory. (I have to look in the manual of my Nikon 1 AW every time I need to change ISO though!)

It's the same with my Panny GX7, in silent mode or rather in electronic shutter mode the flash will not fire.

Last edited:
......so I spend hours late last night trying to figure out why I can not get the flash to work until I read in one XT1 review that the flash is disabled if you have the camera set to silent, WTF !

Yes I found that out in my first couple of weeks. I did mention it on here early doors. Think the rational behind it is if you don't want to be heard then you don't want to be seen (by flash) however, I don't want the camera dictating that to me. If you get the chance there are a few tips if you have time to read the while thread.

So Fuji finally sorted out my voucher for the 18-135mm lens and now I need to decide whether to purchase it or not?
Im off to America at the beginning of September and wondering whether it would be better to take my 18-55mm + 50-230mm or get the new 18-135mm and just take that - have been told there is a good chance of showers so the fact its weather sealed is an advantage but wondered if anyone who has purchased the new lens can let me know what they think of it?
Many thanks.

Back