The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Amazon delivered my 14mm today, been decorating and only just got a chance to check it out

From the few photos I took (mainly to check function) it seems very nice and looking forward to giving it a much more extensive test. Just the right size match for the camera and bonus taking the same lens hood as the 18-55mm

Opposite to Tracy in the above post and glad I bought this lens rather than spend the cash on the 18-135.

(good news you got the voucher sorted out Tracy, didn't use mine in the end after all the fun and games we had getting them)

Cheers
Rich

Last edited:
Check in the menu foe "shoot without lens" this need to be set to on for this type of lens.

Edit : It's the bottom setting on 3rd page of shooting menu.
The line above that is "mount adapter setting" which if you go into you can set one of the last two options to 12mm for using this lens. Which means the focal length in the exif will be correct although the aperture will still read f0.

Check you have "shoot without lens" enabled in the menu..

(because the camera can't see the lens, it needs to be told "That's ok, go ahead anyway")

That's made my evening much better. Thanks for this!

Having read most of this thread and found it the most useful resource about the camera on the internet, I have bought an XT1 with 18-55, 10-24 and the 27mm pancake lens. I thought I might keep my Nikon D7000 and lenses but I can hardly conceive of using them now and will sell them.

The level of detail in the images is very impressive and on another level from my D7000.

Anyway, could anybody recommend an adaptor which will allow me to use my Sigma 105mm macro Nikon fit on my XT1?

Many thanks, Tim

A couple of images I took with the kit lens 'trying out' my new toy:

Cheltenham: Pittville Park Boathouse
by all you need is light, on Flickr

Having read most of this thread and found it the most useful resource about the camera on the internet, I have bought an XT1 with 18-55, 10-24 and the 27mm pancake lens. I thought I might keep my Nikon D7000 and lenses but I can hardly conceive of using them now and will sell them.

The level of detail in the images is very impressive and on another level from my D7000.

Anyway, could anybody recommend an adaptor which will allow me to use my Sigma 105mm macro Nikon fit on my XT1?

Many thanks, Tim

A couple of images I took with the kit lens 'trying out' my new toy:

Cheltenham: Pittville Park Boathouse
by all you need is light, on Flickr

Nice images. I also used to own a D7000 the X-T1 images are far superior as I pointed out on a recent thread elsewhere but my comments were disputed. Those that have used both systems know the truth ! The x-t1 is one very cable camera for image quality.

Nice images. I also used to own a D7000 the X-T1 images are far superior as I pointed out on a recent thread elsewhere but my comments were disputed. Those that have used both systems know the truth ! The x-t1 is one very cable camera for image quality.

Wasn't the 'dispute' with regards to the Fuji X10?

I've been very tempted to get one off these to accompany my d800e or maybe replace my nikon kit.
I mainly do family/portrait type shooting ,with the occasional landscape and quite a lot of street style stuff when on holiday each year. All personal non payed.

How does the AF compare?
My main lens just now are a sigma 35 and 85 1.4G, but i also own both the nikon 24-70 and 70-200vr2
I would want to replace all of these but maybe not the 70-200 as its my least used lens due to size, and my whole idea is to reduce weight and size. is this realistic or is it going to be close in size/weight? I've not managed to get a proper hands on yet.

I've been very tempted to get one off these to accompany my d800e or maybe replace my nikon kit.
I mainly do family/portrait type shooting ,with the occasional landscape and quite a lot of street style stuff when on holiday each year. All personal non payed.

How does the AF compare?
My main lens just now are a sigma 35 and 85 1.4G, but i also own both the nikon 24-70 and 70-200vr2
I would want to replace all of these but maybe not the 70-200 as its my least used lens due to size, and my whole idea is to reduce weight and size. is this realistic or is it going to be close in size/weight? I've not managed to get a proper hands on yet.

Ive owned several Fujis and Nikons… AF wise… the Fuji isn't as fast as the Nikons with moving targets, especially in lower light. In decent light its quick enough to lock, wont subject track like the Nikons either, but again, for a mirrorless its decent.

AF speed
1) D700
2) D800
3) X-T1

Size wise the Fuji is quite a lot smaller, especially with lenses fitted. Its a hell of a lot lighter. My Nikon D700 / 50 Sigma / 85 Sigma in a bag was 3kg, Fuji 35 and 56 in bag are 1.4kg. The Fuji bag can fit 2 1/2 times into the Nikon bag.

http://camerasize.com/compact/#290.223,520.422,ha,t

I would personally buy the camera if possible and try it alongside before replacing your Nikon gear.

Last edited:
Ok Im back again ;)
Tried to order the 18-135mm twice yesterday - got flagged up by my bank as a fraudulent transaction and after speaking to the Halifax and them clearing my card is was refused AGAIN!
Now im having second thoughts about my options, I presently have the 18-55mm, 50-230mm, 35mm & 18mm on the XT-1 - we are off to America but its a family holiday so Disney etc and im thinking that if I get the 18-135mm will it be the best options for me? and will it be better to get this in the long run and maybe sell the 18-55mm? or what other lens would be better?
Any opinions would be gratefully received, thanks :)

Ok Im back again ;)
Tried to order the 18-135mm twice yesterday - got flagged up by my bank as a fraudulent transaction and after speaking to the Halifax and them clearing my card is was refused AGAIN!
Now im having second thoughts about my options, I presently have the 18-55mm, 50-230mm, 35mm & 18mm on the XT-1 - we are off to America but its a family holiday so Disney etc and im thinking that if I get the 18-135mm will it be the best options for me? and will it be better to get this in the long run and maybe sell the 18-55mm? or what other lens would be better?

Im a prime shooter, but can see the attraction to the 18-135 as a holiday lens. You need to decide how many lenses you want to carry. If I had to add it to my kit bag it would be a complete waste of money, as you already use zooms it may be pretty decent in yours.

Last edited:
You know my opinion on the 18-135mm Tracy, but you need to ask yourself how limited do you feel with the 18-55mm. Do you have many occasions when you have wanted more at the tele end?
Thought about it myself and realised that the 70-200 on my canon didn't get many outings. The 18-55 in full frame terms equates to 27-82 and many people use approx that range a good amount of the time
Size and weight also play a part, admittedly I haven't tried the 18-135, but looks very big at full zoom

Perhaps between them Fuji and the Halifax are saying this lens is not for you

Last edited:
You know my opinion on the 18-135mm Tracy, but you need to ask yourself how limited do you feel with the 18-55mm. Do you have many occasions when you have wanted more at the tele end?
Thought about it myself and realised that the 70-200 on my canon didn't get many outings. The 18-55 in full frame terms equates to 27-82 and many people use approx that range a good amount of the time
Size and weight also play a part, admittedly I haven't tried the 18-135, but looks very big at full zoom

Perhaps between them Fuji and the Halifax are saying this lens is not for you

Lol I thought that too :)
Its funny as on my Nikon I love using my 70-200mm but on the Fuji I tend to prefer a wider angle! The appeal of the 18-135mm is the weather sealing but if I was "just" to buy a lens that was for me it would probably be the 56mm. The tele end side with my Fuji I only use on rare occasions to be honest but wondered if I would use it more/less on this sort of holiday?
Decisions, decisions ;)

Lol I thought that too :)
Its funny as on my Nikon I love using my 70-200mm but on the Fuji I tend to prefer a wider angle! The appeal of the 18-135mm is the weather sealing but if I was "just" to buy a lens that was for me it would probably be the 56mm. The tele end side with my Fuji I only use on rare occasions to be honest but wondered if I would use it more/less on this sort of holiday?
Decisions, decisions ;)

56!! 56!! 56!! :D

Its an incredible lens, I now have my 'holy trinity'. 23, 35, 56.

Ok Im back again ;)

I like my 18-135mm and my 18-55mm so are keeping both,i have my 18-135mm on one body all the time as my walkabout anywhere camera,then on my 2nd body the 18-55mm which i can add the 55-200mm to if i think i need longer.
Plus have a couple of faster primes that i can add to each kit depending on what i am going to shoot :)

Where are people buying these from at good prices. Might try it out i had a OMD camera once didn't like it

Damn the 23 focuses fast with the X-T1. AF speed as follows...

56 is understandably a little slower though, so much glass to move.

Gasp, time for another new bag. :(

Last edited:
Damn the 23 focuses fast with the X-T1. AF speed as follows...

56 is understandably a little slower though, so much glass to move.

Gasp, time for another new bag. :(

I had heard rumours that Fuji were going to release an updated version of the 35mm which would be more inline with the performance of the 23mm, but the recently updated lens roadmap doesn't back that up.

I had heard rumours that Fuji were going to release an updated version of the 35mm which would be more inline with the performance of the 23mm, but the recently updated lens roadmap doesn't back that up.

Also read that, would be nice but if they up the price to the same level as the 23 im not sure id get it. If i didnt already have the 35 it would be a tougher decision though.

The 23mm is a fantastic lens, very sharp and fast to focus but the 35mm is also very good and would be hard to improve on in my opinion. Personally I don't think there is a need. They would be better putting their resources into producing a 300mm

I recently got the 35mm and am really pleased with it, I agree with @Blank_Canvas that if anything Fuji need a longer focal length added to their line up!

Last edited:
I find the 35mm the fastest to focus out of all my lenses. It is the lens I am using the most on holiday now followed by the 14mm and the 56mm. I enjoy using my 23mm when it is needed but so far (on holiday) i haven't used as much as the others.

I wonder what they mean regarding the full size sensor, have we got a FF camera on the way?

"At the Touch and Try Corner of the Fujifilm booth, visitors will be able to experience the outstandingly high image quality with a full size sensor and high resolution images taken with the new lineup of cameras that feature FUJINON XF interchangeable lenses."

As soon as Sony announced a FF sensor I predicted it would only be a matter of time before Fuji brought one out. I went further to say this would be at Photokina. Many people dismissed this as they said the XF lenses would not support it.....

We will all find out in just over 2 weeks. I think this is good news. Look how many lens systems Sony have !

Always take that with pinch of salt. Manufacturers don't always disclose whats up their sleeve. Nikon vowed never to produce a lens that wouldn't fit on there SLRs in the 60s they were true to their word until the Nikon1 system came out. Never say never.

I remember reading / watching a vid that Fuji wouldn't bring out a FF camera as they believe their current cameras are a match for FF, there was an interview with the CEO or similiar executive. It makes you wonder why Fuji have released a number of cameras over the last 18 months or so, can they now concentrate on FF. XPro-2 anyone?

Exciting times ahead.

Always take that with pinch of salt. Manufacturers don't always disclose whats up their sleeve. Nikon vowed never to produce a lens that wouldn't fit on there SLRs in the 60s they were true to their word until the Nikon1 system came out. Never say never.

Diffrence between a new camera system and a current lens thats only apsc compatible. Even if they do bring out a FF the roadmap clearly indicates apsc isnt being dropped. They would also need to somehow engineer small lenses for a large sensor and do it quickly or end up like Sony.

I think everybody jumping the gun,i don't think we will see an FF camera anytime soon their have they will never rule anything out,but no plans at the moment :)

I think everybody jumping the gun,i don't think we will see an FF camera anytime soon their have they will never rule anything out,but no plans at the moment :)

I can't see an interchangeable lens FF camera coming out this year. Perhaps they will go the fixed lens route and see what the take up is like, something like a X100s with a FF sensor. If successfull, then design an interchangeable system along with some sort of adapter for current lenses, if possible due to the image circle???

Last edited:
It looks as though something has been gained in the translation from the original Klingon.. it's very easy to read into that statement something that's not there.

Only three days to wait to see which new model is going to be announced, it will alost certainly please some with the new features it incudes and upset others for not being a big enough improvement of current models. If it's an X-Pro2 it will displease those waiting for a X-200, and vice versa. The internet rumour mills and chattering classes will all find something to say about whatever is announced.. .. ;)

It looks as though something has been gained in the translation from the original Klingon.. it's very easy to read into that statement something that's not there.

Only three days to wait to see which new model is going to be announced, it will alost certainly please some with the new features it incudes and upset others for not being a big enough improvement of current models. If it's an X-Pro2 it will displease those waiting for a X-200, and vice versa. The internet rumour mills and chattering classes will all find something to say about whatever is announced.. .. ;)

I was thinking the same something been gains in the translation :)

Back