The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Diffrence between a new camera system and a current lens thats only apsc compatible. Even if they do bring out a FF the roadmap clearly indicates apsc isnt being dropped. They would also need to somehow engineer small lenses for a large sensor and do it quickly or end up like Sony.

What? With some of the best lenses ever tested?

I remember reading somewhere that none of the big companies has the capacity to make more than three or four (or something like that) lenses a year so any new system is always going to look a bit slim at first and Sony do have cracking 55mm and 35mm primes and some zooms that seem to split opinion with at least some claiming that they're also very good. Personally I think that two or three lenses in the first year is ok but I'd hope to see some fleshing out in the near future with a good selection being hopefully available in 3 to 5 years.

My God, look at MFT, they have a lot of lenses now from more than just one company but how many did they launch with?

To me the choice of lens to make is maybe more important than the quantity and if Fuji start with 28, 50 and 85mm f1.4/1.8's I'd say that was a great start, others may pick different lengths but you get my drift... a nice range. If Fuji come out with a FF camera and 2 to 3 well chosen lenses I'd say well done Fuji and I'd have a little patience and look for what comes along in the next couple / three years or so.

Last edited:
What? With some of the best lenses ever tested?

I remember reading somewhere that none of the big companies has the capacity to make more than three or four (or something like that) lenses a year so any new system is always going to look a bit slim at first and Sony do have cracking 55mm and 35mm primes and some zooms that seem to split opinion with at least some claiming that they're also very good. Personally I think that two or three lenses in the first year is ok but I'd hope to see some fleshing out in the near future with a good selection being hopefully available in 3 to 5 years.

My God, look at MFT, they have a lot of lenses now from more than just one company but how many did they launch with?

To me the choice of lens to make is maybe more important than the quantity and if Fuji start with 28, 50 and 85mm f1.4/1.8's I'd say that was a great start, others may pick different lengths but you get my drift... a nice range. If Fuji come out with a FF camera and 2 to 3 well chosen lenses I'd say well done Fuji and I'd have a little patience and look for what comes along in the next couple / three years or so.

The lenses are high quality (as we both know) but what they couldve done was launch with more, they launched with 0 lenses! 0.

Ok for you, you love MF, for anyone that wanted an AF lens there was quite a long wait. The point I was making was that if Fuji does this I really hope they have at least 2 decent lenses available at launch of the camera.

Yes, same here and if Fuji launch a new camera system with just a couple of well chosen lenses I'll applaud them and even more so if they then follow up with more well chosen lenses over the coming years but I doubt anyone is going to launch a new system that'll come anywhere near the more established systems for choice, indeed I'd be surprised (very) to see anyone launch a system that could compete with even where Sony FF is now, as I doubt anyone has the capacity to do so. Not on day one and not for a couple of years after day one.

Has anyone realised the full potential of the XT1 by using a UHS11 sd card yet ?

Top tip WRT the X-T1 and memory cards - make sure you put the f*****g thing back in the camera before you head out shooting!!! Luckily, I had borrowed a Nikon DSLR to use with my 70-300 so didn't miss the shoot, just wanted to see how well the X-T and 55-200 coped with aircraft (but felt I needed the extra reach that the 300 gave me, hence the Nikon back-up!)

I received a new fujinon 23mm 1.4. It is working well but I find the manual focus kind of "gritty" or "vibrating". The focus ring is smooth when the camera is switch off but when the camera is on it feel a bit wrong in manual focus. Any ideas why?

Can the camera write as quick as the card, whats your experience if youv'e used one.? I find my 95mbs perform okay.

I've never used one Simon, just asking if anyone has, bit expensive anyway just now for my spending habits :) .

I received a new fujinon 23mm 1.4. It is working well but I find the manual focus kind of "gritty" or "vibrating". The focus ring is smooth when the camera is switch off but when the camera is on it feel a bit wrong in manual focus. Any ideas why?

That is normal and it is very similar to the Fuji 14mm F2.8.

I wonder what they mean regarding the full size sensor, have we got a FF camera on the way?

"At the Touch and Try Corner of the Fujifilm booth, visitors will be able to experience the outstandingly high image quality with a full size sensor and high resolution images taken with the new lineup of cameras that feature FUJINON XF interchangeable lenses."

That text has now been amended...

Once again, the emphasis will be on the high resolution of the APS-C sensor - which rivals that of a full frame sensor*
* Corrected as of August 25. The original sentence included a typographical error.

Last edited:
That is normal and it is very similar to the Fuji 14mm F2.8.
My Fuji 18, 23 and 35mm all feel as smooth as silk both in MF and extremely quiet when in AF mode.

You are slighlty confusing me there!

For sure when the camera is ON and I rotate the focusing ring it feel like a motor is a bit vibrating in the lens. If the camera is switch off this doesn't happen. In AF it is unoticeable.
Is the problem can come from a camera setting or something like this?

It's hard to articulate, it feels firm, positive but that's all. I don't feel any resistance or vibration from the motor windings.

It's hard to articulate, it feels firm, positive but that's all. I don't feel any resistance or vibration from the motor windings.

Actually looking to it again. I cannot really "feel" the vibration. But i can hear them very well. It's more noise than actually vibration.

That text has now been amended...

It did seem strange as they were talking about there current sensors matching FF, particularly after the interview linked on previous page only 8 months ago. I think it's given that we will see a X30 and possibly an Xpro-2, as it probably needs a freshen up like the XE-1 has undergone. Will there also be an announcement of the new 35mm lens as mentioned on other Fuji threads on here??

Last edited:
Actually looking to it again. I cannot really "feel" the vibration. But i can hear them very well. It's more noise than actually vibration.

Exactly this. I never notice it when shooting. I ve tried many 23 and 14 lenses at different stores and they all sound and feel the same. Put the lens close to your head and you ll hear/feel the noise but then that applies to any lens out there

Anymore people find the 23mm rather noisy when manual focusing? What a weird thing...

I have also another question about the 23mm. I notice, as opposed to all the other lens I have, when set to manual focus, pressing a long time "AF-L", doesn't auto focus. I think the manual say so. Why would this be different from the other lenses? Am I missing something there?

14mm doesn't work with the AF-L button either, purely manual once the front ring is pulled back

Anymore people find the 23mm rather noisy when manual focusing? What a weird thing...

I have also another question about the 23mm. I notice, as opposed to all the other lens I have, when set to manual focus, pressing a long time "AF-L", doesn't auto focus. I think the manual say so. Why would this be different from the other lenses? Am I missing something there?

Just to be clear. Both of my 14 and 23 are very smooth in manual or even auto focus. As for the noise, how noisy are you talking about? All lenses will make noise we elements inside them move.

It did seem strange as they were talking about there current sensors matching FF, particularly after the interview linked on previous page only 8 months ago. I think it's given that we will see a X30 and possibly an Xpro-2, as it probably needs a freshen up like the XE-1 has undergone. Will there also be an announcement of the new 35mm lens as mentioned on other Fuji threads on here??
There's a picture of an X30 on fuji rumours, nothing about any others though.
Allan

Just to be clear. Both of my 14 and 23 are very smooth in manual or even auto focus. As for the noise, how noisy are you talking about? All lenses will make noise we elements inside them move.

I've been ill and in bed so I can probably hear the noise better than if i was outside. But the noise is clearly noticeable. Only in manual focus. It is not a continuous noise but a "vibrating" noise. It is much louder than both 18-55 and 55-200 which i consider to be silent in manual mode!

How noisy I think it is? Too noisy for a 600£ lens when the basic kit lens is totally silent? Then the loosing the AF-L possibility is really rubbish, i started to like this! I'm not talking image quality but I don't think built quality cannot be consider as very good by all reviews when it's noisy. Then i though the pull focus ring would be a joy to use but it is nothing better and probably more ackward to use than the switch present on the body of the camera (which is disable with this lens).

I just feel like this lens is not as refined has i was hoping for. I have a sigma ART 30mm f/1.4 on canon body, it's better built, almost as compact, and totally silent and cost half the price.
Sorry it sounds like I am ranting there, it's a lot of money that these fuji lens cost and all review compare them to Canon L-series, I just wonder how much this is justify. Although why did they went for an electronic manual focus? How such lenses will do with time?

So that's two of us saying it's not noisy. I have the 18,23 & 35mm. Maybe there is a fault with hours !

I hope you feel better soon.

It seems that fuji has changed the way one selects focus points in their just released X30. No longer we have to press a button to activate focus points then move them. Will this make its way to the rumored xt1 firmware?

I've been ill and in bed so I can probably hear the noise better than if i was outside. But the noise is clearly noticeable. Only in manual focus. It is not a continuous noise but a "vibrating" noise. It is much louder than both 18-55 and 55-200 which i consider to be silent in manual mode!

How noisy I think it is? Too noisy for a 600£ lens when the basic kit lens is totally silent? Then the loosing the AF-L possibility is really rubbish, i started to like this! I'm not talking image quality but I don't think built quality cannot be consider as very good by all reviews when it's noisy. Then i though the pull focus ring would be a joy to use but it is nothing better and probably more ackward to use than the switch present on the body of the camera (which is disable with this lens).

I just feel like this lens is not as refined has i was hoping for. I have a sigma ART 30mm f/1.4 on canon body, it's better built, almost as compact, and totally silent and cost half the price.
Sorry it sounds like I am ranting there, it's a lot of money that these fuji lens cost and all review compare them to Canon L-series, I just wonder how much this is justify. Although why did they went for an electronic manual focus? How such lenses will do with time?

You have every right to feel happy about any lens you buy. Do you have easy access to a camera store to compare yours with another 23mm lens?

It seems that fuji has changed the way one selects focus points in their just released X30. No longer we have to press a button to activate focus points then move them. Will this make its way to the rumored xt1 firmware?

Thank F, i hope it does, its all ive wanted!

You have every right to feel happy about any lens you buy. Do you have easy access to a camera store to compare yours with another 23mm lens?

No, I live in Orkney. Not so practical to find a Fuji dealer around.

So far as I say I find the 23mm to be a good lens but not refined enough for a fairly high price tag:
- in AF mode compare to all other lenses, there is less selectable AF point and the AF square are much bigger (maybe 4-8 times bigger!). In other words you are focusing in a 16th of the whole picture and it isn't possible to select a accurate point of focus in a picture so it's hard to use the f/1.4 possibilities!
- moving from AF to MF and you lose totally the focus, and have to re-adjust from the end of focusing ring again so their is no way of swapping from one to the other or either use focus assist.
- also the noise isn't loud as such but I was expecting that lens to be has silent as the kit lens and the noise as a not so good feeling to it!

I however the lens took some nice pictures but I think all the quirk mentioned above doesn't make that lens so exciting. I don't know what to do. I really like the 35mm (24mm) equivalent that this lens bring. I usually find the 50mm equivalent (35mm) to be to narrow for everyday use and this is what I am looking for with this lens, it has to be the lens that stay all the time on the camera!

Auto focus points have nothing to do the lens. The size of focus points can be changed for all lenses

Are you sure? That what I thought too. I need to try again but that what I have noted yesterday. I also noted that with other lens you can make the focus square bigger or smaller with the scrolling wheel. With the 23mm I can't. I'll give it another go this evening to see if I'm talking rubbish.

Another possibility, is the auto focus point changes with the iso? I was at iso 1000 yesterday while trying?

My 23mm behaves like any other lens I have. The focus points are not linked to iso or lens. I can't change size and location with any lens.

My 23mm behaves like any other lens I have. The focus points are not linked to iso or lens. I can't change size and location with any lens.

Thanks archi for your help looking into this. I must be a pain a real pain with my winging. I've checked and really cannot change the size of the auto focus area with this lens. I'll do more test later and maybe start a separated thread somewhere else because I'm flooding this thread which is already very long.

On the 23 you can set manual focus via the push pull focus ring of the lens as well as on the body. If it is set to manual focus this way it disables the auto focus settings in the camera including adjusting and sizing the points. Haven't got the camera with me but I think it's push to auto and pull to manual focus.

I have forgotten before to switch both the lens and camera back to autofocus and had a panic that something was wrong with the camera.

I have forgotten before to switch both the lens and camera back to autofocus and had a panic that something was wrong with the camera.

OMG that's it! :rolleyes: .... :coat:

All my appologies, swaping from Samyang manual to fuji 23mm and forgotten to switch back from manual, has I tought the focus ovewrite the settings!

I took a few picture of the milky way and northern light last night. I'll post a couple to say thanks.

Last edited:
Back