The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

So to say thanks for helping me. Here are few of the first picture I took with the xt1

untitled-56
by Lemaildetom on Talk Photography
This was shot with the 23mm. It is a big crop!

Northern light birsay-0998
Shot with the samyang 10mm

Northern light birsay-0954
Samuang again

Northern light birsay-1020
And again

I used up to iso 2000 on the northern light shot and 3200 on the milky way. The raw file are very different from canon ones. There is noise but no ugly colours noise which is really hard to correct on the canon. The colour need much less pushing than the canon. I used a lot provia and astia in LR but for the northern i had to leave it to standart as the colour were already really saturated. I'm enjoying the x-t1 specially coupled to the samyang 10mm and a tiny tripod but find it;s a steep learning curve.

Fantastic shots. I have never tried astrophotogrsphy. I just wouldn't know where to start or which direction to point the lens in or at what time etc !

Thanks for sharing :)

Thanks for that (y) I tried astrophotography a few years ago and failed miserably. This was a shot from that session.

View attachment 19504

Just couldn't figure out why it wasn't working. A so called "expert" friend of mine said that I had shot at the wrong time of day and that I should wait until it was dark. When I followed his advice all I got was a black frame, even after massively increasing the exposure on the PC I could barely make out the grass. :exit:

Oops, I bought a Samyang 12mm. Could't go down to the Beacons and not have an ultrawide could I!

After waking up stupid early a couple of mornings ago, I took a series of shots at high ISOs to see how well the X-T copes. 51200 is a bit noisy (in the same way that a Motorhead gig is!) but by the time you're down in normal ranges it seems to cope extremely well, 6400 being useable, although I haven't looked at them properly or printed any yet.

Although I've brought the 10-24 with me, I haven't used it yet or missed it. Will probably take it into town with me at some point to catch the sunset and reflections of the harbourside lights with the blue background and crescent moon. The 18-135 is all I was hoping of it and doesn't need to be protected a little from my sweaty chest! Not changing lens keeps the inevitable dust out too with the WR seals helping a bit.

Were on page two, thought we may need a little bump.

Purchased a Tamron 80-210mm f3.8 legacy lens last week as I am finding the Tokina 100-300mm f4 is too heavy for me, will have to buy a tripod for using around the house. Bought the Tamron for going out, also coupled with a x2 Tamron SP teleconverter with lens and initial tests seem ok.

Don't have a moggy so the mutt will have to do!

Tamron 80-210 1st Use 31.08.2014 087 by swanseajack2013, on Flickr

Last edited:
**BRAGGER ALERT**

Well I finally made the next step in my Fuji journey and treat myself to the "X-Trinity" (so called by me). The 14mm and 23mm have been joined by the 56mm and I couldn't be happier :runaway:

Hi Adam, "Congrats" I'm sure you'll love using it they are a tremendous bit of kit. "Enjoy"

George.

Hi Nick, That's a lovely shot and so much detail. Just about the right time of day to shoot it, with still a bit of light in the sky. Good composition and the lights from the traffic helping to lead you in to the picture. "Great stuff". (y)

George.

Great capture. Which cable release do you use please?

Thank you ! - it's a shot I've been meaning to take for ages but have never got around to it. I brought my cable release from Calumet in Birmingham but I couldn't find it on their website. It was there own brand and costs about £7.00. It looks identical to the one in the link I have attached below. This fits the X-T1 and for a fiver it will be the best £5 you have ever spent !
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Electonic...raphy_DigitalCamAccess_RL&hash=item3f3186b96a

Great capture. Which cable release do you use please?

Just to add to that. I always use the lowest ISO I can and shoot on manual and turn the speed dial to B (Bulb mode) it's not an exact science but I just count the seconds in my head. I always opt for the smallest aperture to capture the starburst of light. I don't meter the exposure its just guess work.

Last edited:
Hi Nick, That's a lovely shot and so much detail. Just about the right time of day to shoot it, with still a bit of light in the sky. Good composition and the lights from the traffic helping to lead you in to the picture. "Great stuff". (y)

George.

Many thanks George, I got to the location which is only about a 10 minute walk from my house and waited between 18:30 - 20:00 hrs last night. I took a few images during the Golden hour which highlighted York Minster nicely. I do like light trails and also city scapes but not the inky black sky that you often see. The light fades very quickly, about 10 mins after this shot the mood had gone and it was to dark. I have started using an (iPhone) App called "Sol" which is very useful for working your timings out.

Just to add to that. I always use the lowest ISO I can (tripod mounted) and shoot on manual and turn the speed dial to B (Bulb mode) it's not an exact science but I just count the seconds in my head. I always opt for the smallest aperture to capture the starburst of light. I don't meter the exposure its just guess work.

Thank you ! - it's a shot I've been meaning to take for ages but have never got around to it. I brought my cable release from Calumet in Birmingham but I couldn't find it on their website. It was there own brand and costs about £7.00. It looks identical to the one in the link I have attached below. This fits the X-T1 and for a fiver it will be the best £5 you have ever spent !
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Electonic...raphy_DigitalCamAccess_RL&hash=item3f3186b96a

Thanks for that (y)

I have been thinking of getting a new neck strap, the Fuji keeps twisting with me and it's not very comfortable. Been thinking of getting a Footprint to match the wrist strap, but not sure if it will offer enough comfort. Those look nice in your link. You can be the guinea pig and report back to us;).

Is anyone shooting proper macro 1:1 on the Xt-1? If so what are you using for this?

I personally feel the Zeiss macro lens is far too expensive and have been looking into some kind of adaptor and lens solution. Fuji 60mm isn't 1:1 unfortunately.

Love to hear what you are doing/using :)

Is anyone shooting proper macro 1:1 on the Xt-1? If so what are you using for this?

I personally feel the Zeiss macro lens is far too expensive and have been looking into some kind of adaptor and lens solution. Fuji 60mm isn't 1:1 unfortunately.

I actually use the Zeiss Touit 50mm which is superb. It's also a great portrait lens. If this is beyond your budget you can still get some very good results with extension tubes on a 35mm.

I actually use the Zeiss Touit 50mm which is superb. It's also a great portrait lens. If this is beyond your budget you can still get some very good results with extension tubes on a 35mm.

Thanks Nick, which extension tubes do you recommend? I do have the 35mm. Also, I hear the raynox 250 is good on the 60mm or longer tele like the 55-200.

Hi Anthony, The way I shoot full macro 1:1 with my X-T1 with extreemly good results is with my old manual Micro Nikkor 55mm, plus an extention tube, then mounted on an adaptor. Obviously everything is manual or aperture priority but the system works very well indeed.

Hope this helps.,

George.

I have a set that I brought for about £40 on eBay. Not top quality but they will do a job. I'm only on my iPhone at the moment and out and about. If you get stuck with a search drop me a pm to remind me and I will dig mine out at the weekend.

In case you missed it, I have also replied to your requirements on the XE 1/2 thread.

Last edited:
Thanks Nick, which extension tubes do you recommend? I do have the 35mm. Also, I hear the raynox 250 is good on the 60mm or longer tele like the 55-200.

Hi Anthony,
Not sure if you have found any yet. If not, I bought some Pixco tubes off Ebay and they are quite good. Cheap and not metal, but fit without any stressing. Be aware that some have been found to be so tight a fit that they have scratched the camera. This guy uses them very effectively.
HTH

I forgot I was going to come back to you with this. Apologies. Mine are also Pixco 10mm and 16 mm. They do the job, work on auto and for £40-45 not a bad buy. A tripod, macro glide rail would make the job easier but I haven't got one of those yet.

Does anyone use the Yongnuo 603NII remote flash trigger with their XT1. I am thinking of giving them a go with my SB900/700

Thanks Nick and Trevor for the info regarding the Pixco extension tubes. Did you order them direct from china or through an english seller on ebay? DOnt suppose either of you have a link to the seller you used? Also using these tubes, do you still get AF or is it MF and what about lens info? Do these enable you to get true 1:1?

Does anyone use the Yongnuo 603NII remote flash trigger with their XT1. I am thinking of giving them a go with my SB900/700

I use the canon version of these triggers with no problems. Think I read somewhere that the Nikon flavour doesn't work, but I could be wrong on that.

I use the canon version of these triggers with no problems. Think I read somewhere that the Nikon flavour doesn't work, but I could be wrong on that.

Thanks. I m hoping to go into my local camera store to try the PocketWizard ones. Sadly they don't stock these Chinese wireless triggers

Back