The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Well, it's official. I'm now an owner of an X-T1. Currently have the 18mm f2, 35 f1.4 and planning on adding the 56mm as soon as the rest of my Canon gear sells!

Enjoy :).

I currently have both the 35mm and 56mm and they are stunning lenses :)

My eye cup turned up this morning as well. Like it. Nice improvement.
Mine came Saturday afternoon. Fitted and does the job nicely. I did think the rubber would be a bit softer though......

I'm thinking of joining this merry band, but am confused by the lens choice available. Would prefer not to be restricted to primes for my style of photography. So some advice please...

Kit lens of 18-55 seems to get decent write ups. I was thinking of adding (at some time) the 55-200. This combo would cover all my normal needs. But how good are the lenses?

There is also a package on offer with just the 18-135 lens included, but I seem to remember being warned off long zooms that have a very short short end. Engineering constraints can cause problems, or so I'm told.

Any opinions from the massed ranks of existing users?

From my opinion, I started with wanting an XT1 18-55, 56 1.2 and 55-200 which would've replaced my Canon gear like for like pretty much.

However, whilst searching around I came across an Xt1,18 and 35mm for sale for a good price, so decided to go with that. I'm going to add the 12mm Samyang f2 and either the 56 1.2 or the 55-200. My point is that I'm not finding the primes as restrictive as I thought I would, ok I've not had them long but that's my first impressions. It also means I have better low light capability than the zooms.

The 18-135 was never considered as it's too slow aperture wise.

There's some cracking deals round due to Fuji offering good cashback schemes, so there's bargains to be had.

I'm thinking of joining this merry band, but am confused by the lens choice available. Would prefer not to be restricted to primes for my style of photography. So some advice please...

Kit lens of 18-55 seems to get decent write ups. I was thinking of adding (at some time) the 55-200. This combo would cover all my normal needs. But how good are the lenses?

There is also a package on offer with just the 18-135 lens included, but I seem to remember being warned off long zooms that have a very short short end. Engineering constraints can cause problems, or so I'm told.

It's really one for @Nod to answer as I think he has all three zooms. But from what he has stated in the past and from what I have read of the 18-135, he will probably say the following:
The 18-55 will give slightly better images than the 18-135 so purely for image quality and reach the 2 lens option would be best. But for weight and convenience the 18-135 wins.

I've got the 18-55 and 55-200 and I am extremely happy with the quality of them, I rarely use them though as I have a lot of primes which would always be my preference. I have the zooms for days when I want a smaller bag and a range to cover all eventualities.

Reactions: Nod
Unlike most other makers Fuji do not make an entry level range of cheap lenses.
so you can expect fine results from any of them. However Zoom lenses do have to have some compromises when compared to primes.
Fuji do use firmware to make some corrections, so as to achieve better overall corrections.

I think it would hlp if we knew what kit you currently have and want to replace and what kind of budget.

Another option I considered is body + 10-24, 35 and then the 56mm. So you've got UW 10m up to 56mm covered. Although tis is an expensive option so I've decided on the Samyang over the 10-24.

Can get a 16-50 for just over £100 or a 50-230 for about £140 used. Id say thats pretty cheap.
And a bargain at that price
But at any price they are a cut above the usual kit lenses.
Plastic construction may be, but high quality optics.

I think it would hlp if we knew what kit you currently have and want to replace and what kind of budget.

Another option I considered is body + 10-24, 35 and then the 56mm. So you've got UW 10m up to 56mm covered. Although tis is an expensive option so I've decided on the Samyang over the 10-24.

At the moment I'm on a 5D3.Long term thought is that weight reduction would be brilliant. Carting this gear around the hills does my back no favours.
Will I totally replace the Canon? Who knows, probably not studio or set piece as I'm thinking at the moment but for walk around use probably most definitely.

Budget isn't too much of an issue, but as I ever I want value.

Colin's right on all counts! Ultimate image quality is marginally better from the 18-55 and 55-200 but the difference is hard to see in prints up to A3+ and the convenience that the longer range of the 18-135 gives along with the weather sealing makes it an almost perfect walk around solution to pair with the X-T1. Took just the 18-135 on my last holiday - well, actually took the 10-24 as well but didn't use it - and it was ideal. I'm not a huge fan of ultra shallow DoF so don't miss the wider apertures and the high ISO capabilities of modern cameras make the extra light gathering the fast lenses can do less of an advantage than it used to be when 800 was a high ISO to use!

Only played briefly with the older options and personally thought they felt a bit cheap and plasticky, especially when compared to the all metal XF range. BUT, I'm very lucky in that budget isn't that limited. Looking forward to next year's super tele offering, although I may have to sell something to justify it to myself!

Thanks, plenty to ponder there.
I'm off to the high street tomorrow and will take a card to do some sample images and have a look at the options.
Decisions, decisions!

Just a quick question, with the in camera raw converter, what the hell does the 'Reflect shooting condition' option actually mean and do?

Just a quick question, with the in camera raw converter, what the hell does the 'Reflect shooting condition' option actually mean and do?

It makes a jpeg from RAW according to the settings selected on camera when shot was taken.

Gives the same shot as you would have had set to jpeg fine only

edit to add: If you had the camera set to RAW only but your settings were on B&W the resulting RAW file will be in colour when you import to pc. The "reflect shooting conditions" allows you to create the B&W jpeg in camera from the settings selected.

But then you could have shot in RAW + JPEG in the first place :)

Last edited:
I have just got a Samyang 12. The main issue you should be aware of is that it is a fully manual lens with no electrical interface to the camera so any in camera adjustments will not be made. However that aside I find it easy to use with the f stop selection ring being positive and easy to see. Focusing is helped with "peak" focusing but being so wide practically everything is in focus all of the time. Others recommend setting the focus ring to just shy of infinity.

There is a flickr group for the lens showing images. Here is a quick one of mine [not the best] hand held with a slow shutter speed.
Cenarth Falls by philip bailey, on Flickr

I also have that lens. Things to watch out for are getting your fingers in shot if you hold the focus ring whilst shooting and an annoying habit of the rear lens cap not actually staying on. Lens is absolutely awesome otherwise.

Going Below by R. Alan Jones ~ www.quarryscapes.co.uk, on Flickr

Men at Work by R. Alan Jones ~ www.quarryscapes.co.uk, on Flickr

I Things to watch out for are getting your fingers in shot if you hold the focus ring whilst shooting

I have a similar problem with the 8mm fisheye, and quite often have a foot in shot (if i'm totally honest it's more likely to be my belly)

I'm not sure where you're located but they're not that easy to find in the shops but tend to be in bigger PC World/Currys
I'm between Liverpool and Preston. There's a small chain - Wilkinsons - round here that claim to have a full stock. What they call a full stock, and what we call a full stock might not be the same thing!

I've been to shops that have bodies but no lenses to try it with, in the end I went for one without trying it. Although the day after I put a deposit down I found one in a big Currys with lenses etc. but was too late so didn't really try it out as got mine the next day.

I would definitely consider primes as they're really sharp.

don't forget the cash back deals too!

Thats the line up i started with 18-55 55-200,got an 35mm in with the body deal,i have since adder some more primes & the 18-135mm lens its a very good lens :)

What is the maximum size prints you have all been happy with? Going to order a few print this weekend to see how they have turned out.

I have the 18-50 and 55-200, great lenses, both nice and sharp and produce fine prints at A3. Even poking around in the pixels at 100% shows how good they are.
Heres one from this morning with the 55-200 straight from the camera jpeg @ iso500, he stayed put just long enough for the shutter to fire...

Last edited:
I have the 18-50 and 55-200, great lenses, both nice and sharp and produce fine prints at A3. Even poking around in the pixels at 100% shows how good they are.
Heres one from this morning with the 55-200 straight from the camera jpeg @ iso500, he stayed put just long enough for the shutter to fire...

Lovely photo, loads of depth.

Well really put mine to the test today (Halloween) the light was really bad,so 6400/12800 plus the 23mm F1.4 & 56mm F1.2 mostly used at the max.

Will have a look at the photos later :)

I'm between Liverpool and Preston. There's a small chain - Wilkinsons - round here that claim to have a full stock. What they call a full stock, and what we call a full stock might not be the same thing!

I was in Wilkinsons in Liverpool last week and they had them all in. Very helpful staff too I noted and not at all pushy unlike some common high street retailers that get in your face within 10 seconds of walking in .....

I had a play with one of these today. Must say that I was well impressed. The JPEGs SOOC were very nearly as good as the processed RAW images. Even some high ISO shots were quite acceptable on JPEG. Never did like the four button control system, but guy in the shop uses one for gig photography and he reckons that once you get the hang of the camera there's not much need to use them.

I'm off to Lakes next week, but on my return I'll have to work out a plan to get one in past SWMBO!

Has the feel of a feel camera about it - well it did to me!

As an aside I'm told that there are two new lenses on the horizon...

16-55 f2.8 due early next year
50-140 f2.8 with 5 stage IS system due before Xmas. Price for this likely to be IRO £1200.

Right then its November so where's that latest firmware release?

Electronic shutter and flash at 1/32000 is the highlight plus about ten other changes/additions

Really tempted to move from my dslr Pentax setup to an xt1. Main issue is selling some of my glass to fund it - I think the xt1 will be a genuine upgrade from my k30, though that's a pretty fantastic camera in its own right. But I'd need to sell both the sigma 50-150 2.8 and 100-300 f4 that are fantastic lenses and hens teeth in the k mount so it would pretty much be a one way street if I do go...

Right then its November so where's that latest firmware release?

Not sure how this happening the XT-1 chrome is coming out with the 13200 shutter speed / electronic shutter,then further update in December,so are their going to be two updates one for the black/one for the chrome ?

Not sure how this happening the XT-1 chrome is coming out with the 13200 shutter speed / electronic shutter,then further update in December,so are their going to be two updates one for the black/one for the chrome ?

The black one will have the one full update in December. It will be a good reason for some to get the silver body early ;)

Back