The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Thanks for the info. I'm still on the fence whether I go full frame or XT-1. Keeping an eye on the classifieds as a reference, people seem to sell their SLR's and go for Fuji's and say how they will never carry an SLR with them ever again as the Fuji's so good, then sell the Fuji's and go back to an SLR! There is no point in having two cameras so I need to decide on what I sell (lens/body wise) and stick with one type.
If I go out somewhere I don't mind carrying an SLR as I always have a daysack etc with me, and with my XP-1 its getting just as heavy with the lenses and handgrips that I have to carry a bag anyway.

Simon, I see you from these forums that you had an XT-1 then sold it and have now gone for a D750. Any particular reason? That was the camera I was thinking of getting but its a lot of money for something that is a hobby!

James,

As I am home allday I have started to get into bird photography in the garden. We back onto woodlands so have a lot of wildlife. I sold my Xpro as I was having difficulties with the EVF using the zooms, I was having an arc eye effect, my optician has since told me that I was suffering with mini migraines, so I sold up. My plan was to go to M4/3 for the reach but they didn't feel right in the hand and at the time the price had come down on the XT1 so I decided to go for that with the intention of buying the super tele which should have been released around now. As you probably know Fuji have delayed the super tele by 12 months so I had a system which wasn't doing what I needed for another 12 months, so I decided to sell up.

I have had the 55-200 & 50-230 mm lenses but they have both been too short for my needs, I also bought a Tokina 100-300mm f4 lens but I was struggling with manual focus. This is the only reason I have changed, I loved the Fuji's but they just arent working for me at the present time.

With the D750 it opens up the possibility of a much larger range of longer lenses, which is fine for me as it will only be used for home use. Due to my disabilities lugging a DSLR around is going to be too heavy for me so I will either buy an X30 or a CSC for going out when finances allow next year. Also, I had a D7000 before changing to Fuji and I felt the D7100 would't be a improvement over the XT and I thought FF was the best route to take. The D750 also allows for a 1.2 or 1.5 crop factor.

Go and have a try of the XT and take your DSLR with you to compare otherwise buy from a company who have a good returns policy, someone like the rain forest company;)

This is just for me. Others will have a different viewpoint

I have both Canon FF and Fuji cameras. I love using the Fujis. They are fun, stylish and give great results. I also use my Canon for a lot of things.

In particular the Fuji flash system doesn't suit me as well. It's AF isn't as responsive as my Canons and their zoom range doesn't work as well for me.

NB this is just my style of shooting and I am aware that many photographers are perfectly happy to use Fuji and similar for weddings and other work. For documentary style stuff and for travel/portraits they are certainly excellent.

I reckon the DSLR will do everything, the Fuji will do most things. If I needed to do everything and only wanted one system, its hard to see how my DSLRs would replace my Fujis at the moment. This might well change in the next year or two though.

Don't have manual to hand so daft question coming up ...
Currently doing a studio shoot using a DSLR and during a quiet period decided to stick the transmitter onto the XT-1 and dial in the same settings. All works fine but as we have set to completely dial out all the ambient and only catch light from the strobes when triggered, the viewfinder is effectively completely black on the XT-1.
Is there optical ? Is it a setting ?
Probably a basic but not used the camera much to date and don't have the manual, help appreciated.

Don't have manual to hand so daft question coming up ...
Currently doing a studio shoot using a DSLR and during a quiet period decided to stick the transmitter onto the XT-1 and dial in the same settings. All works fine but as we have set to completely dial out all the ambient and only catch light from the strobes when triggered, the viewfinder is effectively completely black on the XT-1.
Is there optical ? Is it a setting ?
Probably a basic but not used the camera much to date and don't have the manual, help appreciated.
From memory, there's an option in a sub-menu to toggle exposure preview in manual mode. You probably have this currently set on whereas you want it off so that the EVF/LCD view is light amplified.

I think it's under one of the last 3 menus... Display settings or something along those lines.

From memory, there's an option in a sub-menu to toggle exposure preview in manual mode. You probably have this currently set on whereas you want it off so that the EVF/LCD view is light amplified.

I think it's under one of the last 3 menus... Display settings or something along those lines.

Will & Kevin, It's under number (1) of the Blue (lower set of settings). Go into screen set up and it's in that sub menu.

Hope this helps.

George.

Will & Kevin, It's under number (1) of the Blue (lower set of settings). Go into screen set up and it's in that sub menu.

Hope this helps.

George.

Brilliant, thanks. And have to say the 56mm is a cracker for studio portraits :)

so what straps are you all using for your XT1s?

I have a small jock strap on mine it supports the 18-55 nicely.

Apologies, I couldn't resist that, I'm in a joyful but flippant mood today. Anyway, to answer your question, I quite like Calumets own brand, they are good value for money and extremely comfortable, but more importantly strong.

I really don't understand people who spend £4 on a strap on eBay and risk £1,000s worth on gear on two single point of failures.

James,

As I am home allday I have started to get into bird photography in the garden. We back onto woodlands so have a lot of wildlife. I sold my Xpro as I was having difficulties with the EVF using the zooms, I was having an arc eye effect, my optician has since told me that I was suffering with mini migraines, so I sold up. My plan was to go to M4/3 for the reach but they didn't feel right in the hand and at the time the price had come down on the XT1 so I decided to go for that with the intention of buying the super tele which should have been released around now. As you probably know Fuji have delayed the super tele by 12 months so I had a system which wasn't doing what I needed for another 12 months, so I decided to sell up.

I have had the 55-200 & 50-230 mm lenses but they have both been too short for my needs, I also bought a Tokina 100-300mm f4 lens but I was struggling with manual focus. This is the only reason I have changed, I loved the Fuji's but they just arent working for me at the present time.

With the D750 it opens up the possibility of a much larger range of longer lenses, which is fine for me as it will only be used for home use. Due to my disabilities lugging a DSLR around is going to be too heavy for me so I will either buy an X30 or a CSC for going out when finances allow next year. Also, I had a D7000 before changing to Fuji and I felt the D7100 would't be a improvement over the XT and I thought FF was the best route to take. The D750 also allows for a 1.2 or 1.5 crop factor.

Go and have a try of the XT and take your DSLR with you to compare otherwise buy from a company who have a good returns policy, someone like the rain forest company;)

So its a worthwhile change then, going from the XP-1 to XT-1? Could just sell the XP-1 and use that money towards th XT and keep the D7000 a little longer!

So its a worthwhile change then, going from the XP-1 to XT-1? Could just sell the XP-1 and use that money towards th XT and keep the D7000 a little longer!

At the time for me yes, it was like night and day in EVF terms and a faster camera.

Just had an email from Fuji, seems as if they have the refurb bodies at £729.98 plus if you enter the discount code of Paypal12 you will get another 10% off. I initially bought mine in June from the Refurb shop and the camera was faulty and it had the spongey buttons so I returned and bought a new higher serial number camera from Panamoz. The current ones are maybe the newer cameras?

Linky>http://shop.fujifilm.co.uk/fujifilm-x-t1-body-only-1435.html

so what straps are you all using for your XT1s?

I'm using a Tamrac neoprene strap on my Fujis and also on my Nikon V1. They all have pouches on them which hold spare batteries and/or cards.

There was a leather half case and strap highly recommended from ebay that I liked but cannot remember the name! Was about £75

There was a leather half case and strap highly recommended from ebay that I liked but cannot remember the name! Was about £75

Not the Gariz case by any chance? > http://www.lovecases.co.uk/gariz-genuine-leather-half-case-for-fujifilm-x-t1-black.html
http://www.lovecases.co.uk/gariz-dark-brown-leather-neck-strap-xa-chlss3.html

Been checking some lovely straps from this company.

http://www.cam-in.dk/kamerarem/classic.html?___from_store=camin&___store=english&p=1

Have them on eBay as well if you type in the name.

A lot of us on this and the Xpro thread went for the Footprint straps, excellent quality and service from the owner Clive, they can also be found on ebay. >http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Footprint...ography_Straps_Hand_Grips&hash=item2a483711bb

Not the Gariz case by any chance? > http://www.lovecases.co.uk/gariz-genuine-leather-half-case-for-fujifilm-x-t1-black.html
http://www.lovecases.co.uk/gariz-dark-brown-leather-neck-strap-xa-chlss3.html

A lot of us on this and the Xpro thread went for the Footprint straps, excellent quality and service from the owner Clive, they can also be found on ebay. >http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Footprint...ography_Straps_Hand_Grips&hash=item2a483711bb

Yeah, it was the Gariz one but they also do it with a strap that attaches to the tripod mount similar to my black rapid.

I have a Gariz 1/2 case for my X-10 but find that I can just (VERY just!) get the door open with the case on and then can't get the card out. The one for the X-Pro1 might be different but if you've got fat fingers like mine, try before you buy if possible...

Ignore the above! Just been on the X-Pro thread and had forgotten I was now in the X-T1 one!

Last edited:
I use the footprint strap on my X-T1 and find it ideal for me. I bought the Gariz 1/2 case as well just to be indulgent. It's a beautifully made thing and doesn't impair any function at all, I can't fault the quality but it does add bulk so I just have the strap and camera.

Man, I'm really in love with the 23/1.4 on my X-T1... I never got it because I figured I'd buy the X100T instead but I got one at a very reasonable price the other week. It makes me realise the shortcomings of the 35 (esp. with regards to out of focus blur)...

Somehow, I still want the X100T though! Now that doesn't make sense, does it...

Man, I'm really in love with the 23/1.4 on my X-T1... I never got it because I figured I'd buy the X100T instead but I got one at a very reasonable price the other week. It makes me realise the shortcomings of the 35 (esp. with regards to out of focus blur)...

Somehow, I still want the X100T though! Now that doesn't make sense, does it...

The only logical reason to swap the X-T1 with the 23mm f/1.4 would be to make space in your camera bag for the smaller X100T, the latter could fit in your coat pocket.... New firmware update around the corner for the X-T1, it's going to be like having a brand new camera !

How can I find which version of firmware I am running? Have looked in the menu but can't see anywhere obvious.
Reason I ask is that there's a Firmware update Version 1.10 available. Is this the new one, or the existing one?

You have to hold one of the buttons on start up but I can't remember which one. Sorry.

I'm debating, once I've got the 56mm and the 12mm Samyang to swap out the 18 and 35 for the 23mm. would leave me with 12,23,56 which wouldn't be too bad!

You have to hold one of the buttons on start up but I can't remember which one. Sorry.

Thanks. I found it by trial and error. It's the Disp/Back button. Pointless exercise because the update I found looks like it's the old one, but we live and learn.

Should be a good update, need to learn how to update ...

The instructions Fuji give on the update page are very comprehensive and it's actually very easy to do - I've updated my X-T1 and lenses several times with no problems.

Haven't looked at the Fuji page yet - can't wait for the update though.

Just bought a third XF lens and one I'm really excited about!

The instructions Fuji give on the update page are very comprehensive and it's actually very easy to do - I've updated my X-T1 and lenses several times with no problems.

Hi @Nod,
Probably me being thick but I can't see the instructions on how to download an update Never done it before so I thought it might be an idea to check out the the how to first. Could you possibly pop up a linky to the right page please.

Ta

Andy

Hi @Nod,
Probably me being thick but I can't see the instructions on how to download an update Never done it before so I thought it might be an idea to check out the the how to first. Could you possibly pop up a linky to the right page please.

Ta

Andy

From http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/software/ , select Interchangeable Lens Camera from the X Fujifilm section, then select the firmware update you're after (the X-1 one we're all waiting for isn't available yet) by clicking the Firmware Download button. That'll take you to a page that details the update(s) the upgrade will give you and shows you the T&Cs of the download. Click on I Agree - Begin Download and you'll get to a page that gives comprehensive instructions on performing the update.

Thanks very much matey. I just hadn't clicked through far enough....doh!

I was a bit hesitant when I did the first firmware update - went through it on an older machine just in case it went mammaries aloft! Done several since (mainly for lenses) and it's remarkably easy. Looking forward to the upcoming update.

Back