The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

ISO 200. But compared to other cameras it's more like 160.

That's a good point @manualfocus-g I guess we should say the indicated native ISO is 200. But as you say it's probably around a third to half a stop less than indicated over all of it's ISO range.

George.

I finally managed to get out into the hills over Xmas/NY to give the X-T1 a proper work out and see if it made lugging my great lumbering body uphill any easier... It did and I'm very impressed with the quality of the shots and the ease of use.

Here's a few from Moel Famau in North Wales just before NY and some from the Lakes over the NY period, all with the 18-55mm f2.8-4 lens

Light-and-Shade by andysnapper1, on Flickr

Above-us-only-sky3 by andysnapper1, on Flickr

Sun-on-the-Hills2 by andysnapper1, on Flickr

Distant-Pikes-Panorama1 by andysnapper1, on Flickr

Cheers

Andy

Was thinking about then the weight,and as I don't use longer length much didn't seem the lens for me,plus still waiting for the 16-50mm F2.8 :)

I'm hopeful no to do more event stuff in 2015 so decided to add it to my arsenal. Looking forward to seeing the results!

"Do I Need A XT1" ?

Ok all youse X-T1 shooters, question for ya all;

Presently own a X-Pro1 & X-E1 along with these lenses, 14/23/35/60.

Would I benefit in any way from selling both my current X bodies and going for the X-T1?

Any suggestions welcome, anyone else been in my situation etc.....?

Regards;
Peter
Scotland

"Do I Need A XT1" ?

Ok all youse X-T1 shooters, question for ya all;

Presently own a X-Pro1 & X-E1 along with these lenses, 14/23/35/60.

Would I benefit in any way from selling both my current X bodies and going for the X-T1?

Any suggestions welcome, anyone else been in my situation etc.....?

Regards;
Peter
Scotland

Just buy the XT-1 as well :D

Woops... finger just slipped on the Fuji Refurb site. Anyone want an X-A1? :)

Peter, I bought an X-Pro1 a while back and like it a lot but find a few aspects to be a mild PITA. It's now paired with an X-T1 which deals with pretty much all my little (and they are very minor) niggles. The AF is significantly faster, I prefer the SLR type handling, the EVF is much faster refreshing (but not an OVF...), there are more on-body controls and it's weather sealed (when paired with a suitable lens - in mine's case, the 18-135). At the time, I wasn't as good at controlling my GAS as I am now - that was a large factor in the upgrade (and IMO the X-T is an upgrade from the X-Pro.)

Has anyone on here successfully made the transition from FF DSLR to XT1 to shoot full time/professionally?

I know there's tons of people online who've done it but they always seem to be officially linked to Fuji as an "ambassador" or such like. I'm starting to get requests to shoot everything from kids and families to conferences and events. I've got a few gigs lined up now but I'm really confused as to which system to "build up".

As an example I have the Xt1 and Nikon D750. I've pretty much made my mind up I need either the 50-140 for Fuji or the 70-200 2.8 for Nikon but I have no idea which one to go for. It's such a big expenditure for me just starting out and I would literally cry if I messed it up. Renting isn't really an option here either, so that's out.

Any thoughts? :confused:

Has anyone on here successfully made the transition from FF DSLR to XT1 to shoot full time/professionally?

I know there's tons of people online who've done it but they always seem to be officially linked to Fuji as an "ambassador" or such like. I'm starting to get requests to shoot everything from kids and families to conferences and events. I've got a few gigs lined up now but I'm really confused as to which system to "build up".

As an example I have the Xt1 and Nikon D750. I've pretty much made my mind up I need either the 50-140 for Fuji or the 70-200 2.8 for Nikon but I have no idea which one to go for. It's such a big expenditure for me just starting out and I would literally cry if I messed it up. Renting isn't really an option here either, so that's out.

Yep. I shoot Equestrian but have some thoughts. I bought into the X-t1 at launch. I don't have it now.
For me, it couldn't cope with following a moving subject. I'm so used to using AFC on my D3 and after reading pre release hype for the Fuji I was expecting it to cope ok.
It didn't. I was unable to get the candid shots of my Grandchildren that are so easily obtainable with a DSLR.
The Fuji lenses and image quality can't be faulted mind you. I paid my money and took my choice.
The AFC performance was the only reason for not keeping it. I so wanted it to be my only system.

Yep. I shoot Equestrian but have some thoughts. I bought into the X-t1 at launch. I don't have it now.
For me, it couldn't cope with following a moving subject. I'm so used to using AFC on my D3 and after reading pre release hype for the Fuji I was expecting it to cope ok.
It didn't. I was unable to get the candid shots of my Grandchildren that are so easily obtainable with a DSLR.
The Fuji lenses and image quality can't be faulted mind you. I paid my money and took my choice.
The AFC performance was the only reason for not keeping it. I so wanted it to be my only system.

Thanks trevor. Really interesting to hear someone elses thoughts on it.

In the end I was "forced" into a decision. A friend of mine asked to buy one of the lenses I wasn't using and the guy at the local dealer offered me a killer deal on the Fuji 50-140. So my net spend was only half what the lens was supposed to cost... So if it doesnt work out, then so be it.

I've got a D750 with 24-70 2.8 and decent 85 1.8 as back up, so I'm not too concerned considering I'm not shooting sports and the like.

fingers crossed :)

@trevorbray

Having only just bought an X-T1 I don't know for sure how good the AF was before the recent software upgrade but it seems plenty fast enough now. I managed to turn, point and focus this in a split second.

16186628512_21cc907efd_b.jpg

Not me personally but a close friend went from. A FF Nikon kit to an XT-1 with 23/35/56 lenses and he's very happy. He's a wedding photographer as well as doing portrait sessions etc. he said like many that the AF isn't quite the same but it's close. Other than that very happy!

I've just pressed the button. I'm Nikon FX routinely and this will be the first non-Nikon body I will have owned.

1 quick question having only had a few tinker sessions before mine arrives. It it possible to use the up, down, left and right buttons on the D-Pad to move focus points when you're looking through the EVF?

The bodies I've had a go on seem to have those 4 buttons do all sorts of different custon Fn type features?

Just curious really, it will become clear no doubt once I get the manual in hand.

Don't forget the firmware update has now improved AF a good deal too, so this viewpoint may no longer hold true. :)

I've just pressed the button. I'm Nikon FX routinely and this will be the first non-Nikon body I will have owned.

1 quick question having only had a few tinker sessions before mine arrives. It it possible to use the up, down, left and right buttons on the D-Pad to move focus points when you're looking through the EVF?

The bodies I've had a go on seem to have those 4 buttons do all sorts of different custon Fn type features?

Just curious really, it will become clear no doubt once I get the manual in hand.

Yes, but it's not in the manual having only just come in via firmware update. (unless you have a graphite model, then it should be in the manual)

Just press down on the Dpad and the focus points come up. Then move using Dpad as normal. You could do this on V1 firmware too. So not an update.

@trevorbray

Having only just bought an X-T1 I don't know for sure how good the AF was before the recent software upgrade but it seems plenty fast enough now. I managed to turn, point and focus this in a split second.

16186628512_21cc907efd_b.jpg

Andy. The problem I had was holding focus while tracking a moving subject. As you know it's no problem with your D7100. As @Alan Clogwyn says. It may be better with the latest firmware. I'd be interested to know. Perhaps you could give it a go for me ??

Andy. The problem I had was holding focus while tracking a moving subject. As you know it's no problem with your D7100. As @Alan Clogwyn says. It may be better with the latest firmware. I'd be interested to know. Perhaps you could give it a go for me ??
I had this problem. I went to a motorsport rally in the Lake District forest. Took the XT1 and the 5D3. Panning with the Canon was what you would expect with a high proportion of keepers. Panning with the Fuji was a shambles. I deleted them all. Even with manual focus I failed miserably. Not tried it since the new firmware, but it had a long way to go for me to consider using it regularly for that purpose.

I shall have a go as soon as we get some better weather Trev. Need to try out the longer lens with some wildlife, that should test it.

I think a lot depends on what you're shooting, the conditions you shoot in and your style of shooting.

I used a D700 and D800 for weddings and tried to incorporate a X-T1 in place of the D700.

In short, I sold my X-T1 and D800 once my D750 arrived. Whilst the X-T1 is undoubtedly a good camera and I loved it for personal stuff while travelling it wasn't my preferred choice for a wedding environment.

You're right to be sceptical about Fujifilm ambassadors. They're in those positions with good reason.

Try this more impartial review of the X-T1.

Note that I still happily use an X100S and X-E2 for personal work.

In short, I sold my X-T1

And I bought it!!! It's great for what I bought it for, and as Will says it depends on shooting styles. Good it may be, but I never expected it to be a replacement for a full blown DSLR, and it isn't. I've noticed quite a rush in the classifieds on here for guys to off load their full gear to go down to these. I wonder how many will regret it?

I shall have a go as soon as we get some better weather Trev. Need to try out the longer lens with some wildlife, that should test it.

Thanks mate. No rush.

Yes you can and this is how I am using mine now.

After the latest firmware update you have 2 options:

1. Set the 4 key pad as function buttons to activate various command including focus points. You will have to click on the button you set to activate the focus points then click again in the direction you require, OR

2. Set the 4 key pad to just move the focus point in the direction you require. One step and straight forward just like Nikon cameras.

And I bought it!!! It's great for what I bought it for, and as Will says it depends on shooting styles. Good it may be, but I never expected it to be a replacement for a full blown DSLR, and it isn't. I've noticed quite a rush in the classifieds on here for guys to off load their full gear to go down to these. I wonder how many will regret it?
I regretted having to sell it! But trying to be sensible, I wasn't likely to make it pay for itself like I can with my FF DSLRs. So, wanting to keep the equivalent of another full higher-end system was a bit of an extravagance on my part.

Fuji have really rocked the DSLR/mirrorless worlds and they're to be applauded for that, but there is a lot of enthusiasm and hype which comes with it, in my opinion. Their cameras might fit your bill or they might not. I wouldn't go so far as to say the DSLR is dead. At least, not yet.

No regrets here, purely as a hobbyist this camera suits me perfectly although I can see how it might have limtations for certain uses and users

I've retained my core Nikon FX kit so if I don't get along with it for whatever reason, I'll just sell it on. Obviously I'll make a (hopefully small) loss but it will I'm sure be less than the cost of renting it for a month or 2.

Like the chap who wrote that little article, I thought it was a bit odd that the X-T1 seemed to be constantly hunting in AF-C mode but was reassured when it seemed to miss very rarely in actual use. Will be updating the firmware soon!

Dug out an old YN460 flash today, so I've ordered some RF603II triggers hoping that they'd work .

Anyone tried the above combination?

Back