The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Finally got me an eye cup, having missed out twice now after they sold out between them sending the email to say it was in stock and me receiving it!​

They are really good these eyecups. At first I thought they were a bit hard but now I can't imagine using my camera without it :)

I finally pushed the 'buy it now' and brought an X-T1 from Panamoz, which arrived very quickly - and i'm extremely happy with it. Sold all my Nikon DSLR gear so had some spare cash and also brought the LEE Seven5 filter starter kit and the Big Stopper. Very please with it all and can't try it out properly.
Can anyone recommend a decent remote shutter - the fuji version seems a tad expensive and I've always had aftermarket ones which have always done a great job.

Can anyone recommend a decent remote shutter - the fuji version seems a tad expensive and I've always had aftermarket ones which have always done a great job.

I'm using an old Canon one that I've had for years. Don't think it's genuine despite what the label says! Works just fine. Darn sight cheaper than the £90 or so that Fuji want. I think any jack plug remote will work - they don't carry any power and are really just a means of making/breaking a circuit.
(I stand by to be corrected on all that!!!)

The jack (not the square N3 one) type remotes for Canon and Pentax work when plugged in the mic socket, that's what I am using

Last edited:
Why not just use the 2 second timer? I have it set to the front Fn button for quick access.

James, I use an old Olympus (jack plug type) remote with my X-T1 and it works a treat.(y)

George.

The jack (not the square N3 one) type remotes for Canon and Pentax work when plugged in the mic socket, that's what I am using

Not all of them work. SOme of the cheap ones whilst probably fine on canon don't wokr on Fuji. I went through 3 before finding one that did actually work on the Fuji. There is a circuit diagram out there for anyone who wants to make their own but it's hard work finiding it - all search results are polluted by reviews of the inbuilt time lapse feature!

Didn't realise that Alan, thanks for the information, only two I tried were ok, genuine Canon and a third party from when I owned a Pentax

Wonder if the Giga Pro works? Will give it a go later and report back

Cheers
Rich

Thanks guys.

The inbuilt timer only works to a mx of 30 seconds of exposure - normally fine until I put the 10 stopper on the front and sometimes need a minute or 2! - unless I haven't read the instructions on the interval timer, it only fires on whatever the the shutter dial is set to on the top. I need bulb mode for longer exposures.
Will check out a few on Amazon and see what they have.

Thanks for the info!

Had my XT a while now and absolutely love it. However, today I had my first problem. Was out for a walk with the family in the lovely winter sunshine, taking a few snaps on the way, when suddenly the camera decided not to play ball. As I went to switch it on I got an error message suggesting I turn the camera off and on again. I did this several times but to no avail. Each time I was greeted with the same message.

A while after returning home I tried switching on again and all was ok again. I wonder if the cold temperature caused this. I was carrying the camera on its neck strap, without a case. The air temperature was about +4 deg.c and the camera lens and body felt fairly cold to the touch. It was performing fine intially and is again now.

Anyone else experienced similar?

Had my XT a while now and absolutely love it. However, today I had my first problem. Was out for a walk with the family in the lovely winter sunshine, taking a few snaps on the way, when suddenly the camera decided not to play ball. As I went to switch it on I got an error message suggesting I turn the camera off and on again. I did this several times but to no avail. Each time I was greeted with the same message.

A while after returning home I tried switching on again and all was ok again. I wonder if the cold temperature caused this. I was carrying the camera on its neck strap, without a case. The air temperature was about +4 deg.c and the camera lens and body felt fairly cold to the touch. It was performing fine intially and is again now.

Anyone else experienced similar?

It might be the cold,next time it happen in the cold take the battery out,and try warming the battery up :)

Has anyone used an XT-1 for star trail type shots? There's a continuous shot setting, but in a completely unscientific test on my desk there seems to be a delay between one shot finishing and the next shot starting. Don't want to spend 2 hours taking multiple shots only to find that there's a small gap between each image.
Anyone done this yet?

Has anyone used an XT-1 for star trail type shots? There's a continuous shot setting, but in a completely unscientific test on my desk there seems to be a delay between one shot finishing and the next shot starting. Don't want to spend 2 hours taking multiple shots only to find that there's a small gap between each image.
Anyone done this yet?
I tried this and it worked. Had it on continuous shooting of 30 second exposures. Didn't seem to be any delay between shots.

I finally pushed the 'buy it now' and brought an X-T1 from Panamoz, which arrived very quickly - and i'm extremely happy with it. Sold all my Nikon DSLR gear so had some spare cash and also brought the LEE Seven5 filter starter kit and the Big Stopper. Very please with it all and can't try it out properly.

Have you found one? I've just found my spare one which you're welcome to, it's just a regular remote release, no timer or anything fancy.

Thanks very much, but just ordered one of Amazon and a pricely cost of £4.50! lets see if it works :)

Went up into the hills yesterday with the XT-1 and a Samyang 8mm fisheye. I've even bought a Three Legged Thing as a lightweight tripod.
Don't think I've have got this shot with the 5D3, 24-105 and my Giottos tripod - my back would have screamed "enough"!
My first real day out in the hills with it.

Took this and several more. It's a damned good camera isn't it?

A mountain tarn
by Frank Yates2010, on Flickr

That's a great shot Frank, lovely composition, plenty of depth with the foreground interest, beautiful sky, yes this one I like very much.(y)

You're right about the X-T1 being good, in my opinion there's nothing in comparable format that comes close, apart from the other Fuji-X units.

George.

Spend a few hours at the annual Battle of Nantwich re-enactment on Saturday. I took my Nikon F100 film camera for close up shots and the X-T1 with the 55-230mm for the longer range stuff. For a supposedly cheaper lens I'm very impressed.
16366394265_ffe4249ee7_b.jpg

16366394585_048d308376_b.jpg

I'm growing more and more fond of the little X-T1.

Andy

Well! I was planning on going there but the car was full so I missed out. Went to Kentmere instead^^^^

That's a pity, we could have compared notes! Hope you enjoyed it.

Last edited:
I had this problem. I went to a motorsport rally in the Lake District forest. Took the XT1 and the 5D3. Panning with the Canon was what you would expect with a high proportion of keepers. Panning with the Fuji was a shambles. I deleted them all. Even with manual focus I failed miserably. Not tried it since the new firmware, but it had a long way to go for me to consider using it regularly for that purpose.

Have you had a good look into how the AF system in the Fuji works? I only ask because my first handful of shots with the X-E1 when shooting motorsport were a mess, but I quickly got the hang of it when I realised the AF-C concept in Fuji bodies was basically turned on its head compared to conventional DSLRs. The X-T1 is presumably much, much better than the X-E1, so it should be do-able fairly comfortably.

This is with the X-E1 and 55-200, side-on panning was fine with a very good hit rate, and after a bit of practice even coming at/heading away shots were achievable.

Castle Combe Motorcycle Raceday by Harry_S, on Flickr

Have you had a good look into how the AF system in the Fuji works? I only ask because my first handful of shots with the X-E1 when shooting motorsport were a mess, but I quickly got the hang of it when I realised the AF-C concept in Fuji bodies was basically turned on its head compared to conventional DSLRs. The X-T1 is presumably much, much better than the X-E1, so it should be do-able fairly comfortably.

This is with the X-E1 and 55-200, side-on panning was fine with a very good hit rate, and after a bit of practice even coming at/heading away shots were achievable.

Castle Combe Motorcycle Raceday by Harry_S, on Flickr

With the new firmware and the appropriate settings there's nothing you can do on an SLR you can't do with an XT. AFC, Continuous Shooting, no EVF playback and your on to a winner. of course you still require the skill of keeping the thing framed, which I do not posses! I'll be taking along the XT to some rallying and I can guarantee now it'll do better than the old S5 managed.

Went up into the hills yesterday with the XT-1 and a Samyang 8mm fisheye. I've even bought a Three Legged Thing as a lightweight tripod.
Don't think I've have got this shot with the 5D3, 24-105 and my Giottos tripod - my back would have screamed "enough"!
My first real day out in the hills with it.

Took this and several more. It's a damned good camera isn't it?

A mountain tarn
by Frank Yates2010, on Flickr

Are you using software to 'de fisheye' these shots Frank? How do we keep ending up with the same cameras? :)

Are you using software to 'de fisheye' these shots Frank? How do we keep ending up with the same cameras? :)

Morning, I might regret this post (you certainly will!)

Firstly, gear....I suspect we are like minded. I want gear that works well and does the job every time. Gear that I can get to grips with and feel comfortable with. You seem to have the same view, and the Fuji fits the bill. The more I use it the more I like it. It does what it says on the tin!

Now to the pictures. You are not going to believe me but both of those are HDR shots. Shot with in camera JPEG format, 1 stop apart using the bracket setting. The light was harsh and low giving lots of shadows but with the good sky and white snow a correct exposure was a challenge. It must be a good job because no-one has picked me up on it!

As to the software. NO. Nothing special at all. The tarn had the bottom half inch or so cropped off because I couldn't properly get rid of my own shadow, but there was no distortion that I could see.

The mine buildings shot has been worked on a bit. This was due to my stupidity in that I got the roof line of the central building all wrong. When I levelled it I lost some of the bottom R/H corner so the clone tool came out. In reality the road isn't as steep as it appears, but that's the fault of my technique rather than the lens.

I'm quite impressed with that lens. I expected a lot of circular distortion, but don't see much at all, certainly not on distance shots. Close ups give some distortion, but I quite like the results so far. I only paid £125 for it, from on here, so I think that's a real bargain. It's going to Iceland on the TP trip in March!

Last edited:

Hi there,

I've had a good look now - after I came home. Not been back to try it out, but there's another rally in early March, and I intend to try it again. Your shot is certainly very good, and that's what I'm after. Now I know it can be done I'll just have to try harder. Put it down to operator error!

Are these the Canon version of RF 603 which are rumoured to work? If so that would save me a lot of expense getting a Fuji flash, or frying the camera if I need a different version!
Yes they are the Canon ones. I've got the MkII 603's which are much easier to switch on and off. I use the MkIII yongnuo 560 flashes so only need one transmitter on camera and the flash has the receiver built in. Most of the time I use the YN-560TX (canon again) on camera as this allows full remote control of power and zoom on each of the flashes.

Thanks, that's most useful.
I have the Canon 580 flashes and the 622 setup for use on my 5D3.
I need to get a pair of 603 for use at the club studio, so the thought that they will fit on the Fuji is excellent news.

In that case definitely get the Mk2, otherwise you cannot switch them off when the 580 is mounted. The on off switch is covered by the flash on the older ones.

Yes, and the Mk2 has a lock on it as well. Am I right in thinking that flash will be in manual mode only?

yes manual only, even with a Fuji flash the only way to have TTL and off camera is with a lead attaching them at the moment.

Back