The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

It's been a successful day today. Downloaded ACR 8.4 into CS6 and upgraded LR5 to 5.4. Had a very quick play and the integration seems to have gone smoothly.

Same here. So far all seems good. We also get Fuji's Film Simulation Profiles under 'Camera Calibration' and then click on the drop down menu which shows 'Adobe Standard' by default..

It's in my hands. Checked to confirm that there's now no light leak. All good. Off on a long walk with dog and Fuji..

My new favourite feature. The double exposure. Took the first shot, turned the camera upside down and took the second.

13734908293_9a951b0520_b.jpg

My new favourite feature. The double exposure. Took the first shot, turned the camera upside down and took the second.

13734908293_9a951b0520_b.jpg

i like the way you can see the previous exposure as a ghost image in the viewfinder and the new image. Very clever of Fuji to com,e up with that !

i like the way you can see the previous exposure as a ghost image in the viewfinder and the new image. Very clever of Fuji to com,e up with that !

Sure is, i just need to use it more creatively.

That's interesting to know, both my batteries are Fuji.

I should add to my comments above that when I mentioned battery life was very good, I should of added that I was shooting some very long exposures with a Lee Big Stopper at f16 which lasted several minutes on Bulb.

I should also add at this point, Calumet do a little cable release (with lock) with a mic jack, which plugs directly into the mic port on the X-T1 for about £9.00 absolute bargain. It's their own brand but works flawlessly.

Hi Nick, I've searched the Calumet site for a cheap release for the XT and can't find on apart from the genuine RR-90 (with its RR price tag!). Any chance of a link, please? :D

Does the old 56k even exist now ? :eek: Id dread too have it now if it did, even for free it'd be a nightmare too use lol
I recently retired from BT (last October) and seem to recall dial up had been discontinued about the time I left or was just about to be stopped

Seems it is still widely use in the USA.

Hi Nick, I've searched the Calumet site for a cheap release for the XT and can't find on apart from the genuine RR-90 (with its RR price tag!). Any chance of a link, please? :D

I would gladly give you a link Nod but I didn't buy it online. I purchased it in-store in the Birmingham branch of Calumet. If you give them a call direct they should be able to mail one out to you. Here's the details:-

CF00994 - Calumet Pro Shutter Release C6 1M. Make sure you quote the 'C6 1M' that denotes it will fit the mic jac in the X-T1. They also produce the same shutter release with
about 4 or 5 different connections for different makes of camera so thats important. The cost of the unit is £8.33 which is a bargain, probably the cheapest and most useful assessory you can ever purchase !

Here's an image of The Cobb, Lyme Regis. X-T1, ISO 200, 18-55mm, ND10, f/16 on 'Bulb' for about 2.5 minutes with the shutter release (lock applied). The elapsed time counts down on the LCD display.

Given that I was shooting all day with prolonged exposures and in the cold, the battery usage was remarkably good and lasted all day.

And a couple of recent images taken during the last 10 days closer to home:-

Liverpool Waterfront, arguably one of the finest waterfronts in the world: X-T1, 18-55mm (26.5mm), ISO 200, f/11, 1/340s

Millennium Footbridge, Salford Quays, Manchester. X-T1, 18-55mm (55mm), ISO 200, f/22, 1/34s

:banghead: I have no idea why these are so small on here, can anyone offer up any advice how to make these bigger ?

Many thanks,

Nick

Last edited:
Well got mine back today was already planing a trip out to the seaside so got a good workout,really enjoyed using it,couple of little niggles would have liked a lock on the exposure con dial can get knocked to easily,plus wake up time from sleep can be a bit slow,will have a look in the menu to see if i can speed that up a bit.

:)

I've joined the club today, having traded my X-Pro1 body for the XT1. So far very pleased, controls very similar to the X Pro so easy to find my way around.

Much quicker to focus and to use, I now need to download the app so that I can connect wirelessly to my ipad or iphone for remote use.

Oh, and I want a grip.

...and a 56mm f1.2.

....and a 10 - 24mm!!

And a couple of recent images taken during the last 10 days closer to home:-

Liverpool Waterfront, arguably one of the finest waterfronts in the world: X-T1, 18-55mm (26.5mm), ISO 200, f/11, 1/340s

Millennium Footbridge, Salford Quays, Manchester. X-T1, 18-55mm (55mm), ISO 200, f/22, 1/34s

:banghead: I have no idea why these are so small on here, can anyone offer up any advice how to make these bigger ?

Many thanks,

Nick

I use an program called IrfanView,then resize/resample to the size i want :)

I've joined the club today, having traded my X-Pro1 body for the XT1. So far very pleased, controls very similar to the X Pro so easy to find my way around.

Much quicker to focus and to use, I now need to download the app so that I can connect wirelessly to my ipad or iphone for remote use.

Oh, and I want a grip.

...and a 56mm f1.2.

....and a 10 - 24mm!!

Saw the 10-24mm in my local camera shop very temped :D

Oh, and I want a grip.

...and a 56mm f1.2.

....and a 10 - 24mm!!

Nice one David. Your shopping list resembles mine.
The App is a great remote tool.

Cheers for the info, Nick. Will see if I can source one locally but if not, I know a she who can now!

Simon, I've registered my XT but still waiting on the voucher.

Trying hard to resist the lure of the 10-24 but I may weaken if I see one second hand!

Thanks Simon, I probably didn't pose the right question. What I should of asked is how can I post bigger images on this thread ? At the moment I'm using Flicr.

I took a look at the bridge picture on your flickr page. It's original size is very small. Just 640 on the longest side. Upload larger, you can post in here up to 1024 on the longest side.

Edit, whoops. I see the others are larger in flickr...

Last edited:
The £250 cash off the 18-135mm is advertised on the x-t1 box andcwhen you register it. I couldn't find any info on how to claim it. Will Fuji send out a voucher?

I am not sure which lens out of the three to go for:

Zeiss 12mm F2.8.
Fuji 14mm F2.8.
Fuji 10-24mm F4.

Zeiss is the most expensive and the F4 is the widest with image stabilisation. The Fuji 14mm is sharp and the cheapest.

The £250 cash off the 18-135mm is advertised on the x-t1 box andcwhen you register it. I couldn't find any info on how to claim it. Will Fuji send out a voucher?

Hmmm..nothing on my box..

I am not sure which lens out of the three to go for:

Zeiss 12mm F2.8.
Fuji 14mm F2.8.
Fuji 10-24mm F4.

Zeiss is the most expensive and the F4 is the widest with image stabilisation. The Fuji 14mm is sharp and the cheapest.
I am not a frequent wide angle user but the 14mm is a fine lens. Distortion seems well controlled, sharpness is excellent corner to corner and at 500ish it seems well priced to me. The focal length suits me fine too, especially as I have the 18 for when I don't feel the need to go so wide. I can see the appeal of going even wider though it isn't for me. Image stabilisation isn't something I use much either, especially on wide angles.

I have tried both of the Fujis and I did like them both. I have just sold my Nikon 16-35mm which I used on my full frame camera so the 10-24mm F4 seems the one to go for but the 14mm F2.8 is as you say well controlled, sharp and cheaper.

I think that there a number of factors to consider.

1) The Zeiss Lens is expensive (though a virtually new one went on eBay the other day for around £500), and the reviews of it don't say that it's better than the 14mm Fuji, only wider!!

2) The 10-24 is a lot heavier than other XF lenses and may upset the way you hold the camera, it also is expensive.

3) The 10-24 does not work with the Lee Filter Seven5 range below 12mm, so full Lee (or other manufacturer) 100mm filters will be required.

4) I found that when I had the Sigma 10-20 with a Canon Crop sensor that most of the time 10mm was too wide, and a lot of what I used was in the 14-20 range, you really need a perfect scene to be at 10mm, its very easy to accidently include clutter!

5) The 14mm is very good, very sharp, minimal distortion, its the lens I bought when I faced the same dilemma (It also has no IR hotspots which was important to me)

So I bought the 14mm and have supplemented it with the Samyang 8mm Fisheye for when I want to go really wide. I'm very pleased with my choices.

14mm

8mm Samyang

I think that there a number of factors to consider.

1) The Zeiss Lens is expensive (though a virtually new one went on eBay the other day for around £500), and the reviews of it don't say that it's better than the 14mm Fuji, only wider!!

2) The 10-24 is a lot heavier than other XF lenses and may upset the way you hold the camera, it also is expensive.

3) The 10-24 does not work with the Lee Filter Seven5 range below 12mm, so full Lee (or other manufacturer) 100mm filters will be required.

4) I found that when I had the Sigma 10-20 with a Canon Crop sensor that most of the time 10mm was too wide, and a lot of what I used was in the 14-20 range, you really need a perfect scene to be at 10mm, its very easy to accidently include clutter!

5) The 14mm is very good, very sharp, minimal distortion, its the lens I bought when I faced the same dilemma (It also has no IR hotspots which was important to me)

So I bought the 14mm and have supplemented it with the Samyang 8mm Fisheye for when I want to go really wide. I'm very pleased with my choices.

14mm

8mm Samyang

I m slowly heading towards this conclusion

Back