Fuji x100

Just been totally blown away by the sensor in this.

Very very windy, tripod blowing all over, freezing must have been -10 up here. (Cairn o Mount).

1016573_10152005625166559_1536843551_n.jpg

1620762_10152005625171559_1465177231_n.jpg

Apart from the three Fuji flashes are there any others that will will work TTL with x100s ? looking at various reviews all three Fuji have drawbacks - what do you use with your x camera ?

further to above - a related issue - when selecting flash (right command dial) almost not enough time to select your preference ie forced auto etc. can that time be changed to a longer period?

Apart from the three Fuji flashes are there any others that will will work TTL with x100s ? looking at various reviews all three Fuji have drawbacks - what do you use with your x camera ?

More than likely a few other brands like nissin, metz and yongnuo might work, but check the firing voltage requirement of the camera first before even trying it.

More than likely a few other brands like nissin, metz and yongnuo might work, but check the firing voltage requirement of the camera first before even trying it.

Hi, As far as I know, at the moment there is nothing other than the Fuji flashes that will offer dedication with the Fuji X cameras but most other flash units will work manually or using there own auto settings if they have them.

But as I stated in one of my other posts, according to the rep from Intro 2020 (the importers of Metz) there is a very strong feeling in their camp that Metz will have something available by the end of this year with dedication for the Fuji X cameras.

As for triggering voltages, all of the Fuji X cameras that are equipped with a hot shoe will accept a flash with a triggering voltage up to 300volts (centre positive). I have this information via email from Fuji technical.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the heads up - just ordered a Yongnuo YN-560 II similar spec to lll and very good value from the big s.american lady. will also be able to use with my Nikons.

For those with experience of silver efex - whats is best - start image RAW or start colour and then go silver efex or even start b & W ? this is with x100s.

For those with experience of silver efex - whats is best - start image RAW or start colour and then go silver efex or even start b & W ? this is with x100s.
Definitely RAW. You have so much more latitude for adjustments before exporting to Silver Efex.

A sad tale of frustration and buffoonery of the highest order........

Thought I'd reveal my idiocy here in case anyone else experiences the same problem.

I was using the rear LCD, rather than the viewfinder, to get shots from ground level and odd angles. The LCD kept switching off, especially when I held the camera in portrait mode. It was intermittent and moving the camera about seemed to bring it back. Sometimes it was fine, at other times it kept switching off.
After many reads of the manual, and going through the menus, I began to suspect a fault.

Last night I was messing about with bounced flash at floor level taking pictures of my usual test subject - the cat.
I was sat in my armchair with the camera down by the side of the chair. The problem seemed worse than ever. I was resigned to the fact there was a problem and would have to send it off for a repair.

Just then, quite by accident, I noticed something. The rear LCD switched off as I passed my hand across the back of the camera.

The penny dropped!

With 'Eye Sensor' activated, a finger or anything else passing behind the viewfinder, will activate the viewfinder and turn off the LCD.
I've experimented.
Anything that's closer than about 2 inches to the viewfinder will cause this to happen.

Answer - switch off 'Eye Sensor' when using rear LCD.

Doh!

Another x100 user here:)
Few questions...
Can I switch back LCD off when not using viewfinder?
And as for battery charging, does the light stay on all the time while charging? Packed manual under bed so please help ;)

Few questions...
And as for battery charging, does the light stay on all the time while charging? Packed manual under bed so please help ;)

The view mode button will cycle through the three options. Viewfinder only: Screen only: Eye sensor (where it will switch to viewfinder when raised to your eye)

Light stays on until battery is fully charged.

All manuals can be downloaded in PDF format http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/manuals/#x

Few questions...

1. Use 'view mode' button bottom left of back of camera to toggle between rear lcd and viewfinder.
2. Yes. Light goes off when battery is charged.

is that the wide attachment?

Nope, it's a trick I read up about on a US fuji site, it's a 1.5x tele conversion lens. Turns the 35mm fuji into a 50mm. Great for my portrait stuff....

More info... Although you can find smaller lenses with the same mag level the issue is image quality, especially sharpness and vignetting. Having a large front element eliminates the vignette issues but you still end up with edge softness but far less than with a smaller lens and the center is very sharp, this doesn't bother me as it adds to the look of the portraits I take.

Hi twist any more detail you can provide on that 1.5x ? name of manufacturer maybe or the supplier - detail from the lens perhaps.

Hi twist any more detail you can provide on that 1.5x ? name of manufacturer maybe or the supplier - detail from the lens perhaps.

Colin's correct, Olympus vf kl2 also make the same lens and so does a company called RCA lx125a.

The Sony and Oly are pretty rare. I believe RCA is more common but also has decent optics. 49-58mm adapter.

are you guys using any grips for X100 ?
Ive seen thumb grips - any particular ?
but are there any other ? Ive seen nice ones for pro and xe1's...
Thanks

Thanks twist and colin - Have received my yongnuo flash gun and also a wireless on shoe device pt04 and a couple of receivers. Q. If I put the pt04 in the camera hotshoe to wirelessly trigger the flash - what flash setting on the camera would be appropriate - I think commander mode is just for optical flash ? Should I use external mode on thecamera and then manual on the actual flash? The s1 and s2 modes on the flash seem to refer to optical triggering.

Hi guys. Ive got a black 100s ordered and need to get some cheap bits to go with it. Can someone please have a look at my list and see if the items are OK, or suggest better options/anything else please. Cheers ...

1. Memory card.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Transcend-P...TF8&qid=1393957653&sr=8-11&keywords=transcend

2. Batteries.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/MaximalPowe...=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=fuji+x100s+battery+innov8

3. Screen protector.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/3-0-DC-LCD-..._sbs_ph_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=01KG9NXZFP8JSD96KT62

4. UV filter for protection for beaches on holiday.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hoya-49mm-D..._sim_ph_7?ie=UTF8&refRID=0FWTT3WDFJH4NK8DVTAH

5. Lens hood/adapter ring.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/LH-X100-AR-...ter+and+Hood+for+Fujifilm+Finepix+X100,+X100s

6. lens cap
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dorr-49mm-P..._sbs_ce_6?ie=UTF8&refRID=0SHE66GX55K0Y2R0T6QB

Finally, any suggestions for a comfortable, yet unobtrusive black strap .. and also a case/half case.

Cheers.

Not used the others but I can vouch for the batteries.

I've got two of the matin straps -one for the x100 and one for my yashica mat. I think it's the same model as the one you linked. I did get them from IMK shop. They are lovely and no problems with the ebayer.

I've not got a GGS protector on my x100 (I've a generic film one), but I've used them on my dslrs and love them. If you've found somewhere that confirms that the 3" is the way to go on the x100/x100s then it's definitely worth the dosh.

That's excellent Brian Thank you. I do like the look of that strap and think it would suit the styling of the x100s well. Brian, what size Matin strap did you get for your x100? Was it the 20(mm) as in link or the narrower 15(mm)?

With regards the screen protector, that's a good point about the 3" size. As the screen is 2.8", does a 3" screen protector fit OK. Looking at it, there isn't much room for an "overhang" around the screen.

It may be worth looking at faster cards George, depending on how annoying you find write times. I've got the 600X version of the transcend card you linked to (it's only a few pounds more) I've also just bought a couple of sandisk extreme pro cards and they are faster again.

I would say go for the JJC lens hood,very well made,some of the others are not :)

Wonder if anyone can help me - getting very frustrated with external flash.
Using yongnuo 560 ll in external flash mode on camera - NOTHING
same using always on flash at 60 th - both built in and external flash - usable ish
same using always on flash at 125 th - built in ok ext nothing !!
anyone help ? silent mode is not on and internal flash works at all speeds.

What mode are you setting your 560?

S1 when put the flash in external flash, commander mode.
S2 when using internal flash to always on.

Back