Full frame zoom lens

I'm about to buy a nikon d610 and I need a full frame zoom lens. I'm looking somewhere around 24-70 or more. I'd like it to be constant aperture f/4 or lower. I have a 18-70 crop sensor lens that I could sell for about 400 usd and would like not to spend more than $800 usd.

Here's a few of my favorites

1. Sigma 24-70 2.8

2. Nikon 24-85 f2.8-4d IF

3. Nikon 24-85 f/3.5-4.5G ED VR

Open to any suggestions and would appreciate any responses

Also consider the Tamron 28-75 f2.8 if you don't mind used.

It's a little soft at 2.8 but after that there's not much in it between the Tamron and the Nikon 24-70

This. If you can't afford the Nikon f/2.8 models then the Tamron is the one to get.

Tamron 28-75mm all day long, make sure you get the A09 model without the built in motor (it also has an aperture ring) none of the copies ive owned have been soft at f/2.8, all been tack sharp

There are loads of alternatives
1) tamron 24-70 f2.8 VC brand new design so latest stuff etc and VC nice! 82mm filters tho a bit pricey there.
2) Nikon 28-70mm f2.8 used, pro grade glass before 24-70. I have this. The CA is a bit high but nothing can't be corrected in PP. Super sharp.
3) Tamron 28-70mm f2.8 got decent reviews.

I personally wouldn't bother with the last two of your list as the lack of f2.8 is prohibitive when you are using fx and artistically it will produce poor results unless u can manage the environment/scene.

Plus one on the tamron 28-75. I get good results with it on my D800. For the price it was a no brainer!

I picked up a Tamron 28-75 non BIM model for £130 or so the other day, seems like a cracking lens on a D610! I still have my Tamron 17-50 for DX too, both are great lenses versus the price.

I heard it had bad vignetting. What's all of your experiences?
Bit tricky to say at the mo, I only put it on once to try out quickly before I went away for work for a week so I'll be able to say in more detail some time soon. Seems pretty OK from first use but that could be the d610 correcting the vignetting.

I heard it had bad vignetting. What's all of your experiences?

There isn't a zoom lens made that doesn't vignette at lowest f/number, and more so in the wider focal length range. Just correct it in post-processing (and distortion and CA too). V easy.

I can see it's cropped so didn't you crop out the corners anyways?

Hi

This was the only time I recall shooting at f2.8! Just looked at the original image size on Flickr. 9955x4776. Native d800 files are 7360 x 4912. I think I cropped from the top, not the bottom. But I don't find vignetting a major issue with this lens.

S

I found the vignette to be very noticeable at f2.8 if shooting anything with a light background. You can pretty much correct it in post and it never really bothered me but anyone who says the vignette isn't bad is mad!

I found the vignette to be very noticeable at f2.8 if shooting anything with a light background. You can pretty much correct it in post and it never really bothered me but anyone who says the vignette isn't bad is mad!
Hands up then as i must be mad, Vignette was well controlled on mine

Still got mine and still use it, must be mad as a bag of mad things...............:)

This is an image taken with the Tamron 28-75 f2.8 on a D610...
It's straight out of the camera, so no adjustments.... shot at f2.8, and I don't think the vignette is too bad, certainly it's easily corrected

14805200081_9446b11ae1_h.jpg

This is an image taken with the Tamron 28-75 f2.8 on a D610...
It's straight out of the camera, so no adjustments.... shot at f2.8, and I don't think the vignette is too bad, certainly it's easily corrected

14805200081_9446b11ae1_h.jpg

Good example. There's about three stops of darkening in the extreme corners there, typical of wide zooms on full-frame, but easily corrected as you say. It'll be almost gone at f/5.6, and almost unnoticeable anyway towards the longer end of the zoom.

Nice prints (y)

Good example. There's about three stops of darkening in the extreme corners there, typical of wide zooms on full-frame, but easily corrected as you say. It'll be almost gone at f/5.6, and almost unnoticeable anyway towards the longer end of the zoom.

Nice prints (y)
They're paintings... acrylics(I think) (y)

Back